Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Action Figures (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: LMB Action Figures
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Thanks, guys.

OK, this has nothing to do with the current figure I'm working on, but I'm all excited, so I thought I'd share.

After weeks of stalking ebay, I finally just scored this oddly scarce figure, who will wind up being the base for LMB figure #3...

-

Handsome devil, ain't he? Type of fellow one might build a statue or three of. [Wink]

Is that Biggs, Wedge or somebody else, Ex?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
It is someone else...not sure who though.

Biggs had a Stache...and It doesn't look like Wedge to me.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
No, he's not even from the movies, he's a guy named "Corran Horn" from the Star Wars novels.

I picked him initially because of the obvious facial resemblance to most drawings of Cobie, but once I started reading his background, I was like... yeah, that can't be anyone else.

There's no way I'm ever going to read his whole wiki article (because it's about the length of a novel, itself) but some choice highlights include:

- He's Corellian (like Han Solo)
- He started out as an undercover Security Force agent (top of his class, natch)
- He hunted down bounty hunters and smugglers
- He custom-programmed his own R-2
- He then became an X-wing pilot in an elite fighter squad with Wedge
- He faked his own death for a time to go deep undercover
- He later discovers that he has Jedi lineage
- He builds his own lightsaber and studies under Luke Skywalker
- His personal tragedies include the fact that his father was murdered and his children went mad (and had to be encased in Carbonite)

It's like somebody said, "Let's take all the cool bits in Star Wars and mash them all into one character!"

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Jeepers! He certainly sounds a lot like Cobie!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

"Dev of Two Worlds"

Part 3: When You Get to the Bottom, You Go Back to the Top...

Although I like always like posting my progress on projects (it keeps me motivated when I show people what I'm up to), I feel like this update might be a bit boring for folks, for two reasons -

1. As I continue making these figures, obviously I'll be going through a lot of the same steps over and over for each new figure and...

2. While, for the Lard Lad figure, I broke down each step thematically as I was trying each new skill for the first time, already I've discovered it's much more efficient to multi-task.

For instance, tonight I:

- Sanded down the torso:

-

...removing the epaulettes and the points of the vest.

- Primed the legs:

-

... as, apart from painting, they need no work

- And did a bit of sculpting on the head:

-

... just to get the feel of working with clay again, before I tackle the arms.

Interesting customization question:

How much clay does it take to turn the ear of a 3 1/2 inch action figure - the head of which is, itself, smaller than your own fingernail - into a slightly larger, slightly more pointy ear?

-

What?

No... I don't know the answer. I was hoping you could tell me.

I swear, to make those little Dev ears I was literally using transparent dots of clay that I had to apply with the tip of a needle.

But I think it was worth the time, because I really like how they came out:

-

Stop staring at me like that, little Dev head, it's disconcerting.

The metal rod in your skull is for your own safety.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Love the progress!
Nothing boring about your posts, at all!
They are just awesome.
Sometimes, I can't believe that you're a real person. You're so amazingly like a Brainy or a Mr. Fantastic.
[Yes]
(Sorry, I don't mean to fuss over you.)

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
Sometimes, I can't believe that you're a real person.

[LOL]

If you can keep a secret...

Click Here For A SpoilerI'm actually not.

"Exnihil" is nothing more than a state of the art AI Spam-bot. All of my posts are actually merely pre-programmed automated responses based upon a contextual analysis of the previous post. The timings run off of a complex algorithm using the sequence of prime numbers as their base. That's why sometimes days will pass without a post, and other days there will be a flurry of updates.

The actual human individual that some Legion Worlders have met who claimed he was me is just an actor hired by the Exnihil Corporation to maintain the front. His real name is Myron.

Please don't tell Nightcrawler. As much as a Spam-bot is capable of such things, I have achieved a degree of what you sentients might call "happiness" here on Legion World.

I want to live.

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
My turn: [LOL]
sigh

Your reply didn't serve to make me any less incredulous, you know.
More the opposite.

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

"Dev of Two Worlds"

Part 4: Gosh! What a Build!

Not much of an update tonight (I've mostly been doing home improvement stuff, but decided to take a break tonight) but... a little bit closer.

Although the original arms on the Lobot figure had the right sort of "puffy" folds, and a nice line to start the shape of the cuffs:

-

...they, were, nevertheless a bit scrawny for Dev.

So, tonight, I began to make "a man out of mac" and get them in some sort of shape. I dremeled back the cuffs and, using clay, tapered the forearms down into them. Then I bulked up the upper arms, and strengthened the shoulders to be flush with the torso:

-

Hero of the Beach!

Then, just to get an idea of how I was progressing, I briefly reassembled the pieces and compared it to the target image:

-

A ways to go yet (the lower part of the tunic is next) but I think he's beginning to take shape.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Looking good so far. [Big Grin]
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

I am so annoyed with myself right now that I can barely stand it but...

Since I've been documenting my progress into this project all along I figured I should be absolutely honest and to show both the good and the bad that comes with trying to create something, so welcome to:

"Dev of Two Worlds"

Part 5: Dev-Em's Inferno

As I mentioned above, my next step was to fashion the lower portion of Dev's tunic.

It seemed fairly straight forward... I had to trim down the back and get rid of some of the pouches and things:

-
 -

The dremeling and sanding worked fairly well to get the basic shape:

-

... then it was time to begin connecting the sides to the front with clay to give it a continuous shape all the way around.

I built up one side then went down to use the oven to cure it.

Now... you might recall that, while I was doing the Lard Lad figure, I said that I had been using an oven temp of 225-250. Well, when I got downstairs, I found that Mrs. Nihil had been baking something at 350 and the oven was still hot.

Oh, well... impatient Ex thought... it's not quite cool enough yet... but I'll just keep a closer eye on it.

Mistake.

Big mistake.

1 minute was all it took to take a few hours worth of cutting and sanding and turn it into a molten mess:

-
 -

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Ahem... apologies for that outburst.

Seriously, though, I wanted to put this up to show the hazards of impatience. I am super annoyed with myself, and will have to go back to the drawing board on that section. While I wait for the replacement piece to come, I'll probably do some painting... but I wanted to give Dev himself a heads up that it will probably be into March now before I get the whole thing wrapped up.

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Ah, yes, impatience.
That's too bad, Ex.

I have to confess and apologize for laughing at your pictures, two of them, of the melted mess.
I feel so guilty but, well, those tiny blobs are pretty funny.
[Yes]

I'm sorry though that your time was wasted and Dev has to wait longer.
On the bright side, it wasn't the whole figure.
sigh

--------------------

Come, join me!

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
On the bright side, Ex, it looks like you can use 'em as fake doo-doo for pranks! [LOL]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Whoa!

Lardy... you just totally gave me an idea!

If I were to just melt it a little bit more on the top, and paint it, I could totally make:

This Guy

Ha! It was meant to be.

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

[Roll Eyes]

Is that a little like making lemonade out of yellow snow?

--------------------

Come, join me!

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.