Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Action Figures (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: LMB Action Figures
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Looking faboo.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
It always bums me out that the pictures I post on this thread - while a fairly good representation - never really look like they do in person.

I think I just found out why.

It's the light in my office. It's one of those "soft light" energy saver bulbs and it always makes all these pics look so much "warmer" or something and washes out all the detail.

I just figured this out after doing the little "eye" logo on the boots then taking the piece outside to dullcoat it.

This is what it actually looks like:

-

Way better, right?

I guess the trick is to take a pic outside, on an overcast day, at 5PM on May 26th.

Therefore, Dev... next update: this time next year.
Let's hope for clouds. [Wink]

Just kidding, Dev! Put down that hammer!

I put another base coat on the torso pieces:

-

but I think I'm going to reassemble the torso onto the legs - and superglue the chest and back pieces together before continuing. It will give me better leverage for painting if I have a larger surface to hold, and I also have to build the epaulettes, in any case.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Seriously, that is looking amazing so far...and it's just the legs.

Cannot wait to see him next to Lil Lardy.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
How DO you do it all, Ex? Photomanipulations, writing, and action figures... Seems like you can do almost anything!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
How DO you do it all, Ex? Photomanipulations, writing, and action figures... Seems like you can do almost anything!

Well, far as we know, he can't grow a giant monster penis capable of throwing Collosal Boy into the ceiling! [LOL]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Lardy found his meme.
Exnihil

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Well, far as we know, he can't grow a giant monster penis capable of throwing Collosal Boy into the ceiling! [LOL]

The operative phrase, of course, being... "far as we know". [Wink]

OK, I was stoked about the progress yesterday, so I decided to keep on trucking, and so...

"Dev of Two Worlds"

Part 10: Seeing Red

This will be kind of a short update - and probably a bit boring because there's not much to see - but I figured it might be interesting to show how long the painting step actually takes me. (I'm not complaining, mind you... I actually find this bit very relaxing.)

As I mentioned up above, to make painting the torso a little easier, I reassembled the whole thing, gluing the chest and the back together again.

I also mentioned that I had put a second base coat on the five pieces. Well... that equates to a third of what is actually necessary to get a decent base.

You can't just paint it like a house. Each coat has to be very thin... you don't want to gum up the details or have a bunch of brushstrokes showing.

So...

-

Then I dry brushed in the highlights:

-

As I noted yesterday, don't put too much stock in the color shown in the pic - that's just my office light effect. It's actually a really nice sort of crimson red.

It's a little too dark out to get a good "natural light" photo right now, but this should give you a closer idea:

-

It's fairly humid out, so I think I'm going to let it dry a bit more before laying in the shadows and the "scale" pattern, but... it's getting there!

w00t!

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Dev - Em
KIA

w00t indeed!
Dev - Em
KIA

quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
"Dev of Two Worlds"

-

Just a reference for everyone...
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
That last photo of your work, Ex, is very clear.
I love the details!

I'm really happy that you're doing these and who you picked first to do.
[Yes]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

A little bit more painting today: - the shadows on the tunic as well as the "scale" pattern, and all the rest of the torso details (turtleneck, belt, and cuffs):

-

Just need to do the hands and the epaulettes and we'll be in business (not this weekend, though... probably in a few days).

Thanks for the nudge, Dev... I'm so glad I'm getting this finished.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

>giddy laugh<

Of course, now my daughter wants Deddy or Lee to draw her so you can do a figure of her too.

Exnihil

*deep inhale*

A pox on whoever designed the silver-age "finned" epaulette.

This is bar none the most difficult thing I've tried to do yet across both of these figures. I have literally been trying to shape this thing correctly for like two and half hours now.

-

It's rounded around the arm... but it's edged on its own center line.

It's a consistent width for like 80% of it's circumference... but it thins out to next to nothing for the other 20.

It's tapered in: three... different... directions!!!

*deep exhale*

Lucky for this type of thing, though, what I lack in skill, I more than make up for in obsession.

I will get this... oh yes... I will get this. [Wink]

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Looking great.
Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
It IS looking great.

That picture also looks a little like voodoo..

--------------------
And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.