Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Raltvee (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Raltvee
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
"We so have to try that!"

Invisible Brainiac pointed to an attraction at the park that involved the rider being tied to a new rubber tree species from Simballi. The elastic properties not only duplicated, but improved on, Earth bungee jumping. The tree would lasso the rider around instead of merely bouncing them up and down vertically.

Blaze excitedly pointed at a picture beside the one IB saw. "And after that, let's try the Parachute Tree! Oh my gosh, it's like skydiving only crazier!"

"The specially-treated deluxe Parachute Tree ride is intensely sensitive to breezes, which is why all riders have to wear a fully bodysuit of armor and a backup flight pack," read IB. "Whoa, this will be awesome!" He turned to Ruth, Emily and Sebastian. "Do you guys wanna?"

Sebastian quickly shook his head, as did Ruth, who had come here to relax. Emily thought for a moment, then decided against - she didn't want to be anywhere that Kristoff Von Doom might spot and corner her.

The 5 friends parted ways, promising to meet up again for lunch.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
Sebastian turned the exhibit on resources, while Emily decided to look at native Raltveech plants. She admired a row of plants that were becoming rare because of an invasive species of beetle. As she read the sign she thought aloud, "That is a shame."

Some people on Earth are seeing it as a metaphor, A random thought came into her mind. She wanted to compare the beetles to telepathy, but knew that this person could hear every thought in her head. Emily turned her head to see Gideon Albrecht. It had been over two years since the two last saw each other and they left on a sour note.

"What is it that you want?" Emily asked.

Gideon said, "I would like you to return to Earth, but I know you already won't do that. However, I do know you would be willing to help with an investigation."

Emily replied, "Really? If you haven't noticed we not on Legion World. I have no authority here."

Gideon smiled, "Yes, I know that. However, there may be a wanted female at this convention." He pulled out his Magnicom and showed her the photograph. Emily took a mental note of the woman's appearance.
~~~~

Sebastian walked through the exotic plants. There were some flowering bushes brought from Saint Maarten, better known in Nasger as Orellana. This disputed territory had many exotic plants because it was in an earlier stage of development that bore similarities to prehistoric Earth. The photographs by the plants featured giant lizards that would be considered dinosaurs.

His attention was turned when a group of Ikgaline officials entered the room. They were talking with a man Sebastian instantly recognized as Kristoff von Doom. He hoped that the group would walk from one room to the next and that he would not be noticed.

Kristoff on the other hand saw an opportunity to humiliate a rival. He excused himself for a minute in order to get "one of the most interesting men in Nasger" and introduce him to the officials. He knew this would make Sebastian feel uncomfortable. As he went to get Sebastian he thought he saw the wanted woman, but that would be impossible because the manager said he would stop her when she returned from lunch. Nobody can be in multiple places at once, Kristoff thought.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Sebastian Sage, the owner of Sage Minerals," Kristoff said.

Sebastian whispered, "Let us not cause a scene."

"This is not a scene," Kristoff's mask made it impossible to read his expression. "This is the beginning of a cold war."

None of the Ikgalines heard that word, and they quickly went into conversation. "The two of you aren't very different. I can see why the two of you are friends."

Doom said, "The main difference is that I earn my money--"

"I earned my money in the Tournament Arena," Sebastian interrupted. The officials were impressed by his tact. The conversation turned to the topic of the convention itself.

"I find it ridiculous the amount of money Nrrev charged for that flower," One of them laughed. However, the statement perked the interest of both Sebastian and Kristoff. They knew how powerful that plant was, and both of them would like to have it.

"How much will he sell it for?" Sebastian asked. All the officials paused at this question. They could not believe anyone would want to buy this plant.

"Probably more than you can afford," Kristoff said. He would take any opportunity to make an enemy look like a fool.

"How much would you be willing to pay?" Sebastian asked. This started a discussion that became heated until an assistant manager was pulled in to seriously discuss purchasing the flower. They were about to put a call in to Nrrev, when an announcer was heard on the speakers.

"Earth Defense trials will begin shortly! Also the main security room is closed for maintenance, all Earth Defense members and any other authorities are asked to meet in the Earth Defense room for further debriefing in thirty minutes," The loudspeaker announced.

That must be the work of the criminal we are after! This is a chance for me to prove I am a better suitor for Emily than Sebastian. At the very least it will make it easier to invite her to my Halloween party, Kristoff thought.

I wonder why the security room of all places is "closed for maintenance". The thief just conveniently ignored the most valuable item at the convention? I fear we are walking into a distraction. However, I can't let Kristoff know what I am thinking because I know he would not hesitate to lead me to a trap Sebastian thought.

"Are you two boys alright?" The assistant manager asked. The two of them were standing quietly in front of her for several minutes, and it made her feel awkward.

"Nothing is wrong at all," Doom replied.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

"Yahoooooooooooooo!" Invisible Brainiac couldn't get over the feeling. He was jumping from a 300-metre tall platform with only vines tied to his ankles, and was having the time of his life!

He still couldn't get over the rush, and even while he was hanging upside down he felt giddy.

He managed to get his bearings in time to take holos of Blaze as he did the jump too.

As the two fell in line for the skydiving attraction, IB turned to Blaze. "Don't you find it odd? We defy gravity all the time, yet here we are like a couple of schoolboys at their first amusement park."

Blaze shrugged. "Maybe it's because we've been psyching ourselves up for this for a while. Anyway, don't overthink too much, baby."

"I'm not," IB smiled as he grabbed a parachute made of gigantic leaves. "But this time, you go first!"

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
A woman with long-hair in braids walked past the parachute tree. She was wearing casual clothes and did not stick out from the crowd. She was holding something that could not be seen in her right hand, and was carefully scanning the area to find a place that would be suitable to place this object. She saw that there was a place where participants left their belongings. Her appearance was a familiar sight to the attendants.

"Are you still on break?" The man reported.

"No," She said. "I am her sister, a representative of the Raltveech Police Department. I am looking for a stolen item," The woman pulled out a badge. She had numerous identities because she was numerous by nature. The attendant said nothing more and let her look through the items, not guessing the morality of the decision.
~~~~

Meanwhile, Emily and Gideon were waiting for the others to arrive for the debriefing. She was very curious as to where he had gone and why he came back. She knew it could be difficult for him to re-adjust to the new Earth, considering his background.

I went on an exploration of the multi-verse. I have seen many things that would surprise you. After I defeated an enemy, I was able to use the Wood Between the Worlds---

"Narnia?" Emily asked in shock. She knew Gideon was a little strange, but she hoped he did not lose his mind after the tragic event that caused him to go on this trip in the first place.

Gideon laughed, "It is the best human term I can think of to describe the place. I saw the changes to this universe and wondered what had happened, and I worried about the innocents who may have suffered in recent events. I think it is important that Earth become a strong power again, and for natives of Earth to return home."

Emily said, "I can't disagree with that, but I think Legion World has a lot of opportunities that Earth does not."

Gideon replied, "Yes, like avoiding Kristoff von Doom. I don't blame you, I do not understand why Earth Defense would hire him."

"Maybe because they are having trouble finding experienced scientists? I know there has been a brain drain," Emily asked. As much as she questioned Gideon's morality, he appreciated that they shared a common enemy.

"Yes, and that is part of the reason we are here. This case of theft was totally unexpected," He said. At that moment the door opened and Ruth Craig walked in.

[ September 29, 2012, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Emily Sivana ]

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Invisible Brainiac and Blaze were lounging happily inside one of the gardens. "Ahhh, this is wonderful," Blaze said with a smile. "I love just hanging around with you."

IB gently and lovingly kissed Blaze's cheek. "I told you we'd see the galaxy one day."

Blaze leaned over and kissed him back. "How soon until we have to meet the others?"

"We don't have to meet them until the end of the day. So sssssssshhhh, and let's just enjoy the peace together..."

Suddenly, IB saw a flash of movement out of the corner of his eye. He looked to his right, but saw nothing, except a piece of paper fluttering to the ground.

He picked it up and frowned. "Hon, look."

It was an article cut out from the local Raltveech paper about his and Blaze's visit to Raltvee. Scrawled in big red angry letters were the words, "Earth traitors!"

Blaze paled. "What does this mean?"

IB made them invisible and got out his Omnicom. He quickly tapped a message and let Blaze read. "The Office of Security has received reports that some Earth natives consider those who fled Earth to be traitors to the planet. Now that Earth is slowly dismantling the system that allowed the Corporations to take over, it's not a big stretch that some of the more extreme ones might be trying to exact retribution."

"Should we be worried?"

"No... they could have attacked us here. Whoever did this is either a teleporter or a speedster. It's a warning."

"Then what should we do?"

"After our Raltvee trip ends... let's go to Earth."

--------------------

Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Sebastian Sage said, "I wonder where Invisible Brainiac and Blaze are." He was concerned that they had been harmed in the theft. They still had not been given details about the theft. They were waiting for the arrival of the manager. Apparently there was an urgent matter almost overlooked in wake of the recent event.

"Who?" Kristoff von Doom asked. He loved knowledge as much as Sebastian, and wondered who these people were and if they could be of use to him.

"Nobody," Sebastian replied. He did not like having to work with something who actually told him face-to-face that they were enemies. It was a strange level of politeness. He disliked that they would have to pretend to get along.

Kristoff von Doom said, "I'll go look for them." He narrowed his eyes and smiled underneath the mask, for he could not be fooled. Before Sebastian could protest, the manager ran in the door with a local police officer.

"Where are you going?!" The manager demanded of Kristoff.

"I am going find our comrades," Kristoff von Doom said. The manager nodded, and Kristoff left in a hurry. There was nothing Sebastian could do but wait for the manager to speak.

The manager said, "It is terrible! The Stadtholder of Raltvee is actually going to show up today! We can't close the conference, it would be too embarrassing."

"It is the perfect time to catch a thieve," Sebastian said. The officer looked puzzled, so he explained further. "It will make the Raltveech justice system look good. It will help the Raltveech in their alliance with Earth."

The police officer asked, "Why would you care? You are a Nasgerian! Why should we not suspect you of sabotage? Why should we not bring you in on charges of witchcraft?"

"I was in the same room as the manager's assistant when the theft occurred," Sebastian said. A couple of phone calls were able to confirm that his story was true and that he is going to join Gideon and Emily in the debriefing room.
~~~~
Kristoff walked over to where the other people were. He thought it was odd that the conference was not cancelled. If he was the manager the entire place would be in a lock-down into the criminal is found. He used his Magnicom to look up Invisible Brainiac and Blaze, and sure enough he was able to access a LMB website that contained the roll-call of current members. Interestingly, Sebastian Sage was not on the list. It must be do to all those criminals he insists on battling, Doom mused. He got to the entries on Invisible Brainiac and Blaze, but they walked right past him just as he was reading their entries.

Kristoff shouted, "I command you to stop!"

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Invisible Brainiac and Blaze looked at each other, puzzled.

"Is he talking to us?" IB asked.

"Hmph. He doesn't have the "k" to make us stop," Blaze replied, using a slang term from their home country.

The two kept walking to where Emily had asked them to meet. IB still had the paper clutched in his hand; he thought to warn Emily later on though he wasn't keen on adding ot her worries.

Kristoff Von Doom snarled to himself. Ignore him, will they?

He raised his hand. He was going to make them pay.

--------------------

Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Invisible Brainiac and Blaze walked into the room. They quickly took their seats at a table where Sebastian was sitting next to Emily. An unfamiliar blond man sat to her left, while the manage and a police officer were seated at the ends of the table. The ceiling was covered with a giant screen that was reminiscent of science-fiction movies. It was clear that this convention hall was a bit behind the times in terms of technology. That may be why the recent events were occurring.

The manager said, "Where is Kristoff?" Everyone looked at each other in silence. Invisible Brainiac kept looking down to avoid the stern gaze of the blond. I don't like that look. It is if he can read minds, he thought.

Especially when you are shouting them, Invisible Brainiac heard in his head. He looked up to see the man smiling, which frightened the LMBer. The rest of the people were oblivious to this exchange of communication, and the manager began to speak.

"We have had a case of theft. Some of our surveillance equipment have been stolen," The manager said. "But we cannot close the conference. The Stadholder is arriving and we cannot make Raltvee look weak. So we would like it if you could solve this quietly in cooperation with Officer Smith." Officer Smith was a middle-aged man who had fought in the Cassopeian War against the Ikgalines. He had blue skin, as his father was a merchant who took a Talokian wife. He knew what the lMB and Earth Defense existed, but little more than that.

Gideon said, "We will, sir."

"You do not speak for all of us," Emily said.

Blaze pointed out, "In all honesty, none of us have authority here.I take it Gideon is representing Earth Defense," Gideon nodded his head. He was in charge of this group for the duration of the conference. "Since we are off-world, wouldn't the person with the most seniority be our leader?" Blaze turned to Invisible Brainiac.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Invisible Brainiac swallowed slightly. He'd had bad experiences with telepaths before and wasn't quite keen on tangling with some more.

At the nods of approval from both Emily and Sebastian, IB forced himself to look straight at Gideon, who was now smirking at him. IB clutched Blaze's hand for support, then remembered his psychic training. He cleared his mind and tried to strengthen the mental shields Spellbinder and Saturn Girl had taught him to develop. For good measure, he quickly turned himself to light and slipped telepathic earplugs into his ears and the ears of Emily, Sebastian and even Ruth.

Emily, please give us a quick debrief on what Kristoff and Gideon are capable of.

Silently giving thanks that he could move at the speed of light, IB then addressed the manager. "The LMB will assist in this investigation. I will take charge of our efforts. I believe it would be best if all of us, including our colleagues," he pointedly indicated both Gideon and Kristoff, "took the lead from Officer Smith."

--------------------

Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Kristoff was careful because he suspected there might be a greater problem than mere theft. He decided to wait for the Stadtholder himself to arrive, Prince Wilheim of Tangello. The founders of Raltvee decided to follow the governmental system of the Dutch Republic, which led to some interesting developments. This prince was famous for two things: enjoying tournaments and throwing his uncle out the window in a bloody coup. There were riots for weeks in some Raltveech cities following this event.

However, those thoughts were far from everyone's mind that day. Wilheim greeted reporters and gave brief statements to the press, before he began walking through the conference center. The security guards struggled to keep a straight face because they knew this was not a good idea. One should not put pride before safety.

Kristoff von Doom decided to take pictures of the surrounding area for future reference. There were two women who looked very alike, which caused him some concern. He left the small cameras hover on the roof while he walked into the debriefing room. As he opened the door, everyone stared at him.

"You are late," Gideon said.

Kristoff replied, "You should know by now that I am always on time." The two of them briefly stared at each other, thinking about past battles they fought against each other. It was a bad idea to force them to work together under any circumstance.

Invisible Brainiac said, "We have decided to defer all decisions to Officer Smith."

"Very well," Kristoff said. He looked at Emily longingly. When this was all over and Gideon was dead, he would marry her. They would rule Earth together. He daydreamed about the future as Officer Smith broke down the plan.

Officer Smith said, "There are eight of us, so we will break into groups of two based on abilities. Emily and Blaze both have long-range powers, so I want them to patrol the perimeter of the building in case the thief tries to escape or is expecting back-up. I want Gideon and Invisible Brainiac to oversee the Earth Defense trials in case the offender appears--"

"He is not a member of Earth Defense," Gideon objected. He did not know Invisible Brainiac and was afraid this could end badly.

"That does not matter on Raltvee. In all honesty, the title means nothing when you aren't in your jurisdiction. Besides, he is a native of Earth," Officer Smith explained.

"Fine," Gideon nodded.

"I want Sebastian and Kristoff to investigate the place of theft. Everyone is dismissed!" He said. The two of them said nothing in response. Emily was a bit nervous that this could lead to disaster. Everyone quickly left the room to attend to their assigned task.

Gideon did not address Invisible Brainiac but simply followed everyone else out of the room. If one had to pin an expression on him, it would be boredom. He did not want to bail out an amateur.

Office of Security Files
Name: Gideon Albrecht
Codename: Mr.Magnificent
Place of Origin: Earth? American? Swiss?
Powers: Telepathy
Weapons: Mysterious weapon that can kill anything, never uses it because thinks it is nothing ordinary, did not bring to Raltvee
Statistical Base: 50
Intelligence Base: 10
Intelligence Report: Little is known of Gideon Albrecht before the World Youth Conference in Benn, Switzerland 3000 A.D in which he gained his powers. [CLASSIFIED EARTH DOCUMENTS, CURRENTLY CANNOT DECODE]

He is known to some as an enemy of Kristoff von Doom, who blames him for the destruction of his fact at that World Youth Conference. [SEE von DOOM, KRISTOFF]

Name: Kristoff von Doom
Codename: N/A
Place of Origin: Romania, Earth
Powers: Mystic Powers, will not be used on Raltvee because they burn witches there, said to have the ability to transfer his mind into other bodies
Weapons: suit which contains a number of weapons including pulsar beams from hands, also has small cameras to take blackmail photographs
Statistical Base: 30
Intelligence Base: 30
Intelligence Report: Kristoff was born to a village of gypsies in Romania. These gypsies are said to have appeared out of nowhere by the locals, and believe that a legendary figure called Victor von Doom told them to come here for safety,and that he would return and leave his son to rule them and eventually the entire world. When a man fitting the description of a cloaked figure wearing armor arrived, they welcomed him as Dr.Doom. He left eight days later, but not before the local baron married his daughter Elektriana off to him.

Elektriana was skilled in the traditional mystical arts, and supported herself by telling fortunes and selling magical items to tourists. He grew up to be as intelligent as hoped, and went with the Romanian delegation to the World Youth Conference in 3000. It was there that his face was destroyed in the event that gave a few other individuals superpowers, and began the rivalry between Kristoff and Gideon Albrecht. Kristoff is convinced that Gideon is really a relation of Reed Richards, Victor von Doom's legendary enemy. At this time these are only rumors. He has committed and attempted many crimes according to Gideon Albrecht, but the records are sketchy as to whether or not he was ever charged with any crime. [CLASSIFIED EARTH DEFENSE DOCUMENTS, LMB CURRENTLY NOT AUTHORIZED]

[ October 04, 2012, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Emily Sivana ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Blaze's brows furrowed as he read the files shared by Emily. "These two don't seem very savory."

"You don't know how right you are," Emily muttered darkly. Before Blaze could ask, she turned to him. "Do you have much experience in patrolling and searching?"

Blaze admitted he did not, and Emily quickly whipped out her omnicom and drew a few diagrams for him. She gave him a few tips and reminders, and instructed him on their strategy.

"Is that all clear?" she finally asked.

Blaze, not wanting to appear slow, nodded. "Um, I just stick to my assigned area, watch out for anyone suspicious, signal you if there is, and restrain that person silently."

"Good," Emily nodded. "Let us begin."

"These trials involve battles?"

Gideon rolled his eyes at the question. He was still annoyed at being paired with Invisible Brainiac, who was leaning over the railing as the first trials went on.

A black-haired young man with stubble all over his chin was firing a laser at one of the Earth defense agents. The agent, an athletic and beautiful woman, simply stood there and blocked it with a wave of her hand. Then she ran forward and punched the man, sending him crumpling to the floor.

IB watched as the man was helped up and outside the ring. He would no doubt be rejected.

"He looks familiar," IB thought as he zipped down to get a closer look.

Gideon sighed. He didn't know Invisible Brainiac personally, but he did know the LMB. What a bunch of posturing amateurs! Hardly worth his time.

Although... since he doubted the thief would appear at the trials... A wicked grin formed itself over his face as he trooped down to speak with the recruiters.

IB sat down beside the failed applicant, who was nursing his hands. "These tests sure are tough, huh?"

"You can say that again. I'm Zach. Are you an applicant too?"

"Not exactly," IB smiled as he saw Zach's face light up in recognition. "You're Invisible Brainiac of the LMB! What are you doing here?"

"Just on vacation. So, you have your heart set on being a superhero?"

"Not really. Just tried out for the fun. I'm really a..."

"An actor! I recognize you now. I've seen some of your movies. My partner and I are fans."

"My partner and I are fans of you too! What you all did at Weber's World was amazing! He's a holographer and always wanted to get some holos of some of you. He has light powers too, though not nearly as powerful as you. And my own energy powers aren't either."

"Why not? I'll have to check with Quislet, Esq. on our legal provisions, but in the meantime Blaze and I would be happy to give you a quick training session. And your partner can take some candid photos. All you have to do are give us a copy with an autograph, and maybe show us around for an afternoon?"

"It's a deal," Zach smiled. "Matt will be so happy," he added with a wink.

"So will Blaze," IB smiled. They quickly traded numbers.

IB returned upstairs to a scowling Gideon. "Took you long enough. Did you think he knew anything about the theft?"

"Something like that," IB winked. "You been keeping busy?"

"Trying to telepathically radio you! How could you have been immune to my powers?"

"LMB trade secret," IB smiled. "If you ask nice, I"ll let you in."

Gideon's stare turned even angrier. "Since you're the expert hero, I don't think you'd mind testing the next batch of applicants?"

IB turned to face Gideon levelly. He was confident that his telepathic plugs, developed by some of the best LMB scientists, would not fail. "Bring it on."

--------------------

Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Sebastian turned to Kristoff, "Let us keep it strictly business." The other man said nothing and simply smiled back at him. To him, all this business was personal. He could care less about the criminal as long as she was caught and his honor intact. His true goal would be to force Emily visit him in Romania.

The two of them looked at the evidence the police found. Sebastian poured over the documents to make sure nothing was overlooked while Kristoff watched the security tapes. At least that is what he wanted to find. There appeared to be no security tapes available. He double-checked the room out of surprise.

Sebastian asked, "Is something wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong," Kristoff said. He would only cooperate with Sebastian in so much as it would benefit his own goals. Kristoff decided to keep this information to himself for further use. Meanwhile, Sebastian was watching the live feeds and saw the Raltveech Stadtholder stand in front of a display case, when a woman with long black braids ran in front of him.

The security forces tried to grab her, but she shouted, "There is a witch at this conference! She stole a valuable object!" The guards tried to push her away from the Stadtholder, but he motioned for them to halt.

"I am listening woman," He said. William of Raltvee was said to have heard a prophecy that he would be killed by a witch. This is one of the reasons that witch-trials have increased over fifty-percent during his reign. He asked, "Who is it?"

"Ruth Craig of Earth," She replied.

~~~~
The next applicant entered the room. He had black hair and a strange scar on the right side of his face. Gideon was glad to see the man was not vain. He looked over at the applicant's sheet and asked the man questions to verify the accuracy of his answers. There were concerns about criminals re-entering Earth through the process.

"Name?" Gideon asked.

The man responded, "Lenny Kim."

"Any relation to Isaac Kim?" Gideon asked.

The man shook his head, "No. It is a common Korean last name." There was an awkward pause in the conversation until Gideon asked him where he was born, his level of education, and previous employment. After all this was confirmed as legitimate, the trial began.

Invisible Brainiac asked, "What is his superpower again?"

"You know..." Gideon looked over the resumes and other employment documents, "...Earth Defense has never explicitly required super-powers. Indeed, the Director and most of our superiors do not have super-powers."

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

"You know," Invisible Brainiac said as he warmed up, "you didn't exactly answer my question. So you're saying he doesn't have a super power?"

"That is exactly what I'm saying. At least, none that he has declared."

"Fair enough," IB said as he shimmered. Gideon gasped to see seven IBs standing where one had been just a microsecond earlier. "I figure our review of the applicants for a possible connection to the crime will go faster of six of me help you. We only need one to test the applicants."

Six of them quickly began rifling through the documents of past applicants. In short order, IB handed Gideon a stack. "Applicants from planets with high levels of smuggling, active oligarchies and a thriving black market. This second pile contains applicants with shady histories."

Gideon looked at IB in a considering manner. Perhaps he was wrong to have underestimated this LMBer. He handed Lenny Kim's papers to the IB dressed in orange. "Can you find anything wrong with this resume? You seem to be Earth Korean as well."

IB shrugged. "Earth Chinese, actually. But I'm familiar with Korea. I'll have a look."

The last IB, whom Gideon noticed had a all-green costume except for some black stripes, stepped into the ring. He shook hands with Lenny Kim, then IB quickly faded from sight.

Lenny Kim quickly slipped on his goggles and drew a gun.

--------------------

Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Red Arrow said, "What just happened?" The TV screens outside of the arena were broadcasting the visit of the Stadtholder. A strange woman had just accused her friend of witchcraft! Ruth Craig, who had no super-powers and no training.
Blaze said, "It does not make any sense. Didn't you see Ruth before the crime?"

Red Arrow paused, "Come to think of it, I did not. We all went our separate ways after we arrived, and I met Gideon in the section on native plants."

"How well do you know Ruth?" Blaze asked. He did not want to sound mean, but it could be possible she was a criminal and Emily did not know about it.

"We have known each other since high school. The only connection she has to superpowers is that fact that her great-grandfather was a Rice, but lots of people are descended from the Rices. I think Ruth and I are technically fourth cousins," Red Arrow replied. Her family made sure she knew the family tree back nine generations; as scientists they were afraid of too much inbreeding.

Blaze sighed, "That is not what I meant. Anyways, do you think we should be on guard in case another suspect--" His thoughts were interrupted by new footage of the Stadholder. The two LMbers held there breathe as he began to speak.

William said, "Your Prince has decided that we shall apprehend this witch at once, displaying to the world the efficiency of Raltveech justice."
~~~~

The first row of targets were hit squarely by the candidate. After this, two large pendulums swung out of the ceiling and almost hit Lenny Kim, but he managed to dodge out of the way. He took out a rope that had magnets on the ends in order to stick the pendulums to each other. The next test was a trapdoor in the floor, and Lenny Kim was able to quickly grab on a side and hoist himself back up. The man thought the trials were over and stood waiting for the results.

Instead, he felt the fury of invisible fists.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Lenny Kim struggled to reach his goggles. It was no use; Invisible Brainiac was punching too quickly. He tried to concentrate on where the punches were coming from, and the timing... ah.

He quickly dropped down and kicked his leg in the direction he had identified. He heard a grunt as his opponent presumably lost his balance. Lenny quickly set his goggles to infrared, and he saw IB rolling on the floor.

Lenny quickly grabbed a pistol and a set of throwing knives. He threw the knives in a wide arc. To his credit, IB stood his ground and parried the one knife aimed in his direction.

Gideon rubbed his chin. This was getting interestig. Suddenly, an agent whispered in his ear. Gideon looked down and raised his eyebrows at what he saw. It was a lead on Lenny Kim. Invisible Brainiac had found an inconsistency in his reference to Korea; he'd listed his birthtown as Chuncheon, 2975. But the name of the city had supposedly been changed to Sanshan in 2974.

Gideon turned back to look at the two battling opponents. Why would Lenny Kim lie about his birth town?

Red Arrow jogged along the fair grounds, looking for Ruth. She hated to think what would happen if William caught her first.

"I dont understand," Blaze said as he flew after her. "These telepathic plugs should allow us to find and talk to her, right?"

"She must have turned them off, discarded them, or worse. I think we need to split up."

"And... what will we do if we find her?"

Red Arrow turned to look at him pointedly. "Please, do not turn her in to the Prince. We must handle it ourselves."

"I don't like it. We don't have jurisdiction here."

"I'm not saying we aid and abet a fugitive. All I'm asking is we don't let the Prince handle this. You do not know the things he has done, or allowed to be done in his name."

Blaze finally nodded. "I understand."

He sped off in a blazing trail while Red Arrow began mentally listing the places Ruth had most wnated to visit. They didn't have much time.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.