Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Behind The Oval - The Creator commentary Track (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Behind The Oval - The Creator commentary Track
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
The family dynamic in the House of Em is both interesting and refreshing. Majority of the LMB characters' families are never mentioned, after all.

Re new characters, I always have a hard time creating them without using a real-life person as a template. My only other originals, Spelling Bee, Truant Officer Ralph and Nurse Tina, are heavily based on some real life people. The rest are reimaginings of existing fictional characters, like Petty Officer Marvin, Kinetix and Kairos.

Re Marvin, I remember creating him way back for an LMB tag team thread. I wanted a Brood because the idea of having a vicious Brood be all silly felt hilarious. Then when I realized I'd named him Marvin, and he was an alien, I transformed him to look like Marvin the Martian. Maybe I should firmly establish that he can alternate between forms...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I had originally hoped to play a much larger role in this story, but life sometimes prevents us from doing all we would like. Still, I'm glad I was able to make some contributions and explore both Rocky and the Evil Emperor a bit more.

The question of why the Emperor went evil had always intrigued me, since he seemed to be exactly like Rocky in every other respect. It would be an oversimplification to say that he became a villain because he didn't get a puppy, but the divergence from Rocky's path--that the Terran ambassador had given Rocky a dog as a gift, but that, in his world, the Emperor was slighted was the part of the puzzle that was missing. I'm a firm believer that dogs are beneficial to one's mental health, and Hyvvie, named, of course, for my own beloved wonder beagle, has certainly shown himself a stabilizing presence in Rocky's life.

Rocky's defeat of the Emperor and his cronies raises a question: What happens now that he has absorbed their powers? Rocky has vowed that he will not use them, but has already shown himself willing to do so in an emergency. His sparkling eyes are, of course, reminiscent of Gary Mitchell in the second Star Trek pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

I was also very glad to see the return of Rockhopper Lass, a character I originally created as a one-off to show Rocky's heroic place being taken by his sister on that world, but who seems to have become a beloved and popular character in her own right.

It was a wonderful experience collaborating with these guys. Again, I wish I could have contributed more.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:

I was also very glad to see the return of Rockhopper Lass, a character I originally created as a one-off to show Rocky's heroic place being taken by his sister on that world, but who seems to have become a beloved and popular character in her own right.

Adelie has turned into one of my favorite characters in LMB lore! Rocky was extremely gracious in letting me essentially take her off the canvass for years as I struggled with the story called "The Covenant", which frequently went into hiatuses as I suffered writer's block. Finishing "The Covenant" was a crucial domino to fall and make "Oval" finally possible.

In any case I ran my ideas for Adelie by Rocky fairly frequently, and he gave me his blessing every time. I like to think that I added some things to her character but always stayed true to the core of who she is.

I feel the same way with Helena Handbasket and how Quislet, Esq. both collaborated with me on the character and let me run with my own ideas for her.

Helena and Adelie will always be special characters for me, and I hope to see both continue as great characters in LMB lore.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

The above shows just how awesome we are at collaborating here. We're willing to cast our egos aside and work with each other to bring out the best in our characters and our ideas.

The LMB-verse is now chock full of excellent, memorable characters. It's just amazing.

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Great idea for a thread... I love all of this behind the scenes stuff...

For my part, I did my best to keep up with everything you guys were doing but ultimately realized I had to take a backseat and settle for just the occasional post... loved seeing SharkLad used by other posters... the development of his relationship with Lolita was certainly something special... with lots of remaining potential...

A staggering achievement, everyone!

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Sharky's bits were easily among the funniest in the whole series! I think we'll have to follow up on his almost shooting his teeth at IB for telling Lolita that sharks pee through their skin [Razz]

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Sharky's posts were great! key even. exactly what the story needed.

human, funny, and fun in the midst of a story that could sometimes be dark dark and dark.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.