Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » X-Men/New Teen Titans ( 1982 ) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: X-Men/New Teen Titans ( 1982 )
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
In which the teams' respective line-ups from 1982 battle Deathstroke, Darkseid, and a resurrected Phoenix. By Chris Claremont, Walt Simonson, and Terry Austin.

I haven't contributed a lot to the Titans forum because I'm only familiar with the first few years of the Wolfman era. Anything before or after than, I'm pretty much lost, but I wanted to post about this stand-alone special because it's a personal favorite.

This is one of the few X-related stories I can still read today. Chris Claremont manages to rein in his worst tendencies, and he appears to have paid attention to Marv Wolfman and Len Wein as far as not mis-characterizing the Titans.

Walt Simonson is one of the few heavily stylized artists that I really like, and I think this may be some of the best art he has ever done. Terry Austin and longtime X-colorist Glynis Oliver certainly add a lot, but it's really Simonson's show, down to the cute details like Kitty Pryde wearing a Snoopy T-shirt in one panel.

From what I understand, there was supposed to be a sequel, written by Wolfman and drawn by George Perez, but nasty inter-company feuds over the proposed JLA/Avengers team-up prevented any more DC/Marvel team-ups from taking place for more than a decade.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em Dev - Em has just turned 47
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Just reread this one...fun read with great art.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo Gris
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lobo Gris   Email Lobo Gris         Edit/Delete Post     
Someone told me that Claremont try to put in continuity this crossover during his S7 run.
From: Argentina | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I loved this crossover book! I knew almost nothing about the Titans, being a big X-Men fan back in the day but the characters that struck me were Darkseid and Deathstroke the Terminator. I hadn't seen either of them before, but they were so friggin' cool in this book! I actually bought some Titans books because they featured Deathstroke (which lead me to buying "Vigilante" but I never really got into "TT"). I can't help but think that if they did this book now, there'd be a long drawn out bloody battle between Wolverine and Deathstroke.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I can't help but think that if they did this book now, there'd be a long drawn out bloody battle between Wolverine and Deathstroke.

Good point. Things were so much better in X-Men (and in comics in general) when Wolverine was just a team member, instead of a solo star. And IMO, when they tried to make him a "deeper" character so that he could carry solo stories, they ruined him.

Off-topic...one of the few Wolverine appearances from the last 20 years that I like was in Hulk #340, by Peter David and Todd McFarlane. Wolverine spends most of the issue refusing to fight the Hulk, doing his whole ridiculous "I'm older and wiser and more mature and more philosophical" shtick until the Hulk finally pushes him too far, and the berserker is back!

--------------------

Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Mmm, I liked this crossover!! It was confusing in some ways (at the time I hadn't read anything Titan-related yet and didn't really know who Darkseid was) but now -- golden. My favorite part was Gar and Kitty, the youngins, and their cute chemistry. (Kitty always gets a guy in the crossovers -- she got Wesley in the TNG one too.)

Anyway, it was fun cuteness and I enjoyed it muchly!! Good times in the old school of pre-company meltdownage.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
That reminds me I really need to get a copy of this I've only read it once. When Kitty's not around to get the guy in the crossover Jubilee does, remember her & Tim Drake's thing?

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I read this a few years after it came out. I was 11 I think. At the time I thought it was the biggest thing EVER. I have it at home...read it atleast once a year. Love it.

I'm a huge Simonson fan and I was a big Teen Titans and Uncanny X-Men fan when it came out...it was HUGE for me. [Wink]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Everyday Girl
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Everyday Girl   Email Everyday Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Ohmygod, Gramps has two copies of that book, he bought a second, and I believe a third at one point because the center pages fell out of the first and second copy he bought. I know one copy is sealed and has never been opened.

I think that was a common problem with that crossover.

--------------------
Hi! How are you?
<click-click> BLAM!! BLAM!! BLAM!! BLAM!! BLAM!!

From: Here? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
I bought this twenty years ago. I don't think I've read it since the 80s.

I remember a large panel where the two teams meet. Kitty is hiding behind someone. Kid Flash says something like "So you're (Colossus) Russian?" and Storm replies along the lines of "And I am African. Does it matter?"

I also remember the chair. The book ends with it, right?

Can't remember Deathstroke in this story for the life of me, which is odd, because he's the one villain of the three that I knew well at the time. Dark Phoenix...knew the general gist. Darkseid...nope, nothing or next to it. I didn't know who Metron was then. Barely do now. Man, I really didn't have a handle on this, did I?

Ahh, maybe I'll have to haul it out again.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Wow, I'm glad to see there's so much [Love] for this story.

It would be great if today, someone did an out-of-continuity sequel, with all the characters the exact same way as they were back then (except for Wolverine's costume -- I like the yellow one better.) Sort of like Alan Davis's Nail stories.

--------------------

Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by ActorLad:
That reminds me I really need to get a copy of this I've only read it once. When Kitty's not around to get the guy in the crossover Jubilee does, remember her & Tim Drake's thing?

Mmm... I loved that. It was so hilarious. They did it in two of the three LSes too. Well, kinda. The second one was more of a 'tying it up' thing. But, yeah. I fangirled over it some. [Wink]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't believe I've read this since I bought it hot off the CBS shelf in 1982.

I've still got it though... maybe it's time for a reread.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baycent54
new

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baycent54   Author's Homepage   Email baycent54         Edit/Delete Post     
One interesting page in this story (I think this was the issue) was when Starfire heard Colossus speak Russian. She says something along the lines of "Oh, wow! A new language" and then kisses him. At that point Nightcrawler adds "Ah, Sprechen ze Deutsch" (or similar) in hopes of getting Starfire to kiiss him.
One of those classic moments.

From: Michigan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Hard to believe the 30th Anniversary of this team-up is just around the corner.

I say we celebrate it in this thread all over again.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.