Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » Do younger readers still identify with the teen characters?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do younger readers still identify with the teen characters?
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So part of the initial appeal of the "teen sidekick" characters was that it allowed young readers to imagine that someone like them was adventuring alongside their favorite hero. It was every young boy's fantasy to be Robin, fighting crooks side by side with Batman.

What I'm curious about is whether today's "teen characters" really succeed in appealing to teen audiences. Is the average teen toady more likely to read a comic about Superboy, Robin, and Wonder Girl than Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm sure Ester meant "average teen today" rather than "average teen toady". (You did, didn't you, Ester?)

There's much, much more kid/tween/teen-oriented stuff out there now. Movies & tv come to mind. Are comics even on the radar?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Good Gravy I refuse to read this thread on the grounds that I've been a serious reader of comics for more than half my life.

By the time I was reading, the New Teen Titans weren't really teens anymore (and not available at the news-stand either). I will say that 60% of my lifetime ago the teen aspect of not so much the DC heroes but the early Spider-Man really did influence me.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
I'm sure Ester meant "average teen today" rather than "average teen toady". (You did, didn't you, Ester?)

There's much, much more kid/tween/teen-oriented stuff out there now. Movies & tv come to mind. Are comics even on the radar?

I'd say video games have virtually wiped comics out as a medium for today's teens. Though strangely Japanese comics are hugely popular especially amongst girls.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:

Of course. Though teen toadies are welcome to express their opinions on the matter as well!

quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
[QB]By the time I was reading, the New Teen Titans weren't really teens anymore (and not available at the news-stand either). I will say that 60% of my lifetime ago the teen aspect of not so much the DC heroes but the early Spider-Man really did influence me.

Yeah. When I started reading comics as a kid, none of the "teen super-heroes" were really teens anymore, so I don't think I really saw a significant difference in age between the Titans or Legion and other heroes.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.