Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » One Hour Out of Water...

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One Hour Out of Water...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, in principle I don't think the weakness is all that goofy, even though it makes the most useless Titan even more useless than he would be otherwise, but how exactly is it supposed to work?

How much water does it take to sustain him? I mean, if you throw a glass of water in his face, is that enough to get him through the whole hour, or does he need whole body imersion or something? And does it have to be seawater, or is freshwater just as good?

[ March 13, 2007, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Marvel
Im Joeboy. I know stuff.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Marvel   Email Kid Marvel         Edit/Delete Post     
In smallville A glass of water did it...but that was Arthur (sorry...AC) not Garth.

--------------------
Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.

From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
It's one of those Silver Age weaknesses that doesn't stand up to a hint of scrutiny for the reasons you give, plus - he's not a machine, so it can't be One Hour Dead every time. And if it's "about an hour", then inevitably it's going to be less than an hour sometimes, so that glass isn't going to be on-time - what if you're in a hot, dry desert. Still one hour? What about a cold seaside?

[The worst one, of course, is The Yellow Weakness. What's yellow? Are we talking specific wavelengths, so that the yellow a TV gives off when it's perceptually yellow doesn't count? Perceptual yellow (i.e., brainwashing), in which case a pair of green-tinted glasses should fix it? What about a blind GL, how are they supposed to react? Or, hell, one who sees in the blue/UV frequencies only, so they see, but don't see yellow?]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

The Green Lantern weakness was usually cast in terms of the yellow wavelength of light interfering with the green lantern energy. Which doesn't work very well since there's electromagnetic radiation in the yellow spectrum all over the place. What would actually make sense if it were the structure of objects that allows them to reflect light at a certain wavelength that interferes with the power ring, rather than the light itself.

It seems pretty clear that they were pretty loose with the "every hour" thing anyways. Half the time it seems like it takes them more than hour to get to the guy *after* he start writing from lack of water.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
The Green Lantern weakness was usually cast in terms of the yellow wavelength of light interfering with the green lantern energy. Which doesn't work very well since there's electromagnetic radiation in the yellow spectrum all over the place. What would actually make sense if it were the structure of objects that allows them to reflect light at a certain wavelength that interferes with the power ring, rather than the light itself.

Incidentally, the Shark's "invisible yellow aura" which protects him from GL makes the most the sense on my version of the weakness.
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
the shark has a yellow aura. hmm!

aquaman had a special costume with a drip system so he wouldnt need to be watered every hour.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Some Aquaman stories feature him wearing a water-filled fishbowl on his head!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.