Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » So...anyone picking up the Titans relaunch? Sound off here! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So...anyone picking up the Titans relaunch? Sound off here!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
[No]

Looks terrible.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The only guaranteed buys from this relaunch are the LSH and LL titles, which doesn't really change much, since all I'm getting from DC right now is LSH and Adventure (I dropped Superboy when it went into the Doomsday crossover, and haven't been terribly motivated to pick it up again).

I'll probably pick up a few random issue 1s, just to see how they approaching some of these characters, and Teen Titans looks like one I'll check out.

I don't remember the comic, some time in the 90s, I think, but a female member of some superteam is fourth-wall breaking and describing how they'll just form a superteam the 'traditional' way with an established guy in a leader role, a couple of B grade heros who usually work solo, a new guy, 'and two random bimbos nobody's ever heard of.'

It was a sarcastic poke, at the time, at groups like the Outsiders (established Batman, B-grade Black Lightning, B-grade Metamorpho, a new guy Geo-Force, 'and two random bimbos nobody has ever heard of' Katana and Halo), or the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans (with Kory and Raven (and Vic) being the new characters).

That's kind of how I feel about the two other female figures on that Teen Titans cover. We've got established heroes Robin, Superboy, Kid Flash and Wonder Girl and two female characters that seem to have just been thrown onto the cover to 'add more girls.'

That being said, DC can use some good new female characters, so maybe these two will be more than quotas and will 'stick' the way that Kory and Raven 'stuck' and hang around for awhile, even if the relaunch ends up being re-re-relaunched a year from now...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
NO.

Honestly... Superboy's stoopid "tattoo" and "S" taped to his back like a "kick me" sign... [Confused] WTF??

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
 -

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
The artist (Booth?) explains that Superboy's taped on sign IS a joke from Kid Flash.

The tattoo CAN make sense -- if, for example, it was designed into the clone from the start, as a serial number if you will. Booth confirmed the bar code effect is intentional.

I honestly don't know if I will read this. I'm far from a teen, and these really aren't my Titans. I read the original Wolfman/Perez run, and those are MY Titans, and I've never stopped grieving for what's been done to them since. The friendship between Dick and Donna and Wally and Gar and Vic and Raven, it was special. It transcended the comics page. It was REAL, even though it was a 2 dimensional, 4-color printout on newsprint. And I will always cherish it.

I'm a broken record, but I think the biggest mistake DC has made with these characters was letting them grow up, even a little, and leaving a vacuum that HAD to be filled with another generation of sidekicks, the Tims and Barts and Mias and Cassies. You just can't DO that if you want Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman to be 29.

So I have to say I'm surprised and perhaps disappointed (but keeping an open mind) that Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake AND Damian Wayne ALL still seem to exist in the DCnU, as does Roy Harper. Still no sign of Donna and Wally. I don't think you can have a DCnU that persists for the long run with so many Robins, Kid Flashes and Wonder Girls running around.

Having said all that, I do wish Lobdell, Booth and DC nothing but success with Teen Titans. I hope it does catch lightning in a bottle and manage to present an authentic, new and youthful voice on superheroing in 2011. And if it does, I will read it someday. And I'll still be thinking of Dick, Donna, Wally, Vic, Gar and Raven. My friends, whom I miss.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
 -

LOL!!! I totally borrowed that!!

Actually... I *am* going to try it... enforcing my strict 1,2,3 policy... we will see... I am kinda intrigued by this new "Insect Queen" type character...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
i am gonna buy that.. heh. just for curiousity's sake.
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Scott Lobdell wrote Generation X. I, LOVE Generation X. I will give this a try.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I'm a broken record, but I think the biggest mistake DC has made with these characters was letting them grow up, even a little, and leaving a vacuum that HAD to be filled with another generation of sidekicks, the Tims and Barts and Mias and Cassies. You just can't DO that if you want Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman to be 29.[/QB]
There was a Plastic Man comic where Woozy is looking at a series of JLA picnic photos. One picture has Grayson as a young Robin, one as an older Robin, and one as Nightwing. Woozy comments, "We have a problem. Robin ages but Batman never does!"

I know Marvel has a sliding timeline which explains alot of their continuity. Does DC have something similar?

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not sure I follow the sliding scale--the older you start out, the less you age? I thought the guy who got it right was Alan Moore in things like Tom Strong--tell different stories from different times in the characters' lives, regularly do current stories that rely on past events revealed for the first time, and so on. It created a feeling of time passing and rich history without aging the characters. I think DC used to be really good at that (since a lot of Moore's talent is riffing on stuff from classic DC). I remain convinced you can tell contemporary stories with those techniques.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
Marvel's sliding timeline basically states that all stories set in 616 modern era (i.e after Fantastic Four) occured in the past 10-20 years. This keeps the characters relatively the same age without great explanation. There are a few notable exceptions Magneto and his children.

Discussion of timeline: http://fans.marvel.com/go/thread/view/108222/23295566/Problems_with_the_Marvel_34;Sliding_Timeline34;?pg=3

Blog that explains said timeline very well: http://www.platypusrobot.com/2011/03/platypus-robot-primer-marvel-universe.html

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Have no interest in this title really. I loved the Wolfman/Perez stuff, really liked the Johns Titans...this batch...looks like a bad Image comic from the 90's to me.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Tim's new costume looks great. I'm a fan of the Tim, Conner, Cassie, and Bart dynamic. Unfortunately, I can't buy as many titles as I would like due to budget considerations. Titans won't be making the cut.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Emily Sivana:
Marvel's sliding timeline basically states that all stories set in 616 modern era (i.e after Fantastic Four) occured in the past 10-20 years. This keeps the characters relatively the same age without great explanation. There are a few notable exceptions Magneto and his children.

I guess a big part of Marvel's thing in comparison to DC is that they don't really have a successful next generation of characters. They have some that can be popular for relatively brief spans of time, like New Warriors, Generation X and New Mutants but none that can sustain a book for decades and that have a large, outspoken following.

DC has long had successful 2nd and 3rd generation characters that stick around and who lots of fans want to see more of. Teen Titans being the blockbuster hit it was in the '80s really underlines this.

Marvel has more trouble marketing anyone who didn't debut in the '60s with the (re)birth of their line (and some later characters like Wolverine and Punisher) on a sustained basis than DC has. I suppose if New Warriors and the like were more blockbuster hits, Marvel would have more of the problem DC has by having top develop their next generations more and more to appease the fans. Instead, they've been able to keep, say, Franklin Richards a kid forever (who only recently looks like he might at least be approaching middle school) because the interest and development has not been there for the younger characters like it has for DC.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/13/scott-lobdell-talks-teen-titans-to-bleeding-cool/

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.