Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » The New Teen Titans 1980-1984: cover commentary (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The New Teen Titans 1980-1984: cover commentary
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
Covers are the new China Cat of the Titans Forum!

Let's inspect the covers of the hugely popular early-to-mid-80s Wolfram/Perez The New Teen Titans (volume 1). There are 40 monthly issues and 2 annuals.

The minor twist? There will be two random covers up at a time -- I've generated a number list to determine order of appearance.

Feel free to discuss the story inside, judge covers solely by their merit as standalone images (or not), recount personal stories concerning the covers/issues, remark upon the similarities or differences between the 2 covers or the entire group, or do the ever-popular WHICH ONE IS BETTER?

[ June 12, 2012, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Leap Year Lord ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Click to enlarge!

Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Omega Men! Woo. I always loved the Vega system, and it's complex internal cosmology/mythology!

Interesting that the puff of smoke surrounding the teleporting Raven is red, and not her usual black.

And that's just so typical of a Teen Titan cover. Everyone is running forward, and Kid Flash, is, inexplicably, not running any faster than Robin. What good is super-speed if he can never get to the action before Robin?

(I know, I know, cover composition requires it, but still, it bugs me.)

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

As was touched on a bit in the Judas Contract cover thread, Perez's Titans covers tended to be realistic, single-scene action shots. But make no mistake, there were stylized/abstract covers (or elements) too, and both of these qualify. 17 has no background, and 24 is a kind-of standard pinup "motion" shot with stylized, dramatic bookends.

Ten or twelve years ago, I snagged an extra copy of 17 from a bargain box. I may or may not have re-read the story, but there was something about the cover that had me keeping it on top of the pile until I later filed the lot away. I think it might have been the colors. The white background not only helps to highlight Frances but to set off the colors. Also, there's a reason that shirt (and the title) is pink and not red (Robin, WG), blue (Raven), or orange/purple (Starfire).

Several---but, again, not all---of the covers in the first few years had dialogue. Not here...wouldn't suit these two.

The 'bookends' of 24 are very striking, as is the white borders vs. black starfield-middle contrast. The motion shot, as I call it, is handsome but not very interesting to me. It's a promo shot with some Omega Men thrown in. Rehash of #1.

Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Perez's art can be funny sometimes. When Raven went evil, her hairline receded and her eyebrows went all 'Spock,' and it's the same between Koriand'r and Komand'r. The 'good' one has a shorter nose and 'normal' eyebrows and a normal hairline, but Komand'r is eeeviiil, so she has to have the receding hairline and the eyebrows that go all the way up.

Phobia, of the Masters of Evil, had the same 'evil' face.

I suspect at least part of the shock of Terra's betrayal was that Perez didn't draw her with a his typical angular 'evil woman' face.

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ I seem to remember an article where Perez said that Terra was specifically designed to appear cute and unthreatening so as to increase the shock of her later betrayal. Hence, the button-nose, buck-teeth, freckles, short stature, short blonde hair - everything about her was meant to invoke girl-next-door innocence.

---

Of these two covers, I prefer the Frances one. I love the pink concentric lines forcing you to focus on her at the centre of the cover, despite all the clutter and distraction surrounding her. The only thing I would change would be to move Startire a little bit higher since she's kinda crowding Frances' personal space where she is.

The Omega Men cover is nice too of course. Perez is probably the only artist I can think of who has never drawn something I haven't liked - especially during this period.

I wasn't a big fan of this Omega Men story though, from memory (it has been FOREVER since I read the Wolfman/Perez run so I have forgotten lots about it). But I remember that the Titans killed sentient aliens in this story (the Gordanians I think) and that never sat right with me.

It seems quaint to think of a time when heroes didn't kill but this was during it and I didn't like the rationale that 'it was war so they did what they had to do'. Super-heroes are meant to be better than that IMO. (That was another reason I wasn't a big fan of the Flash/Blackhawks issue of JMS' otherwise superlative Brave and Bold run.)

I get what Set is saying about Perez' 'evil female' facial features but looking at those profiles of Starfire and Blackfire and thinking back to Terra mentioned above just reminds me of how good Perez was at varying the facial features of his characters. Talents like that are what set him far above an artist like Barry Kitson for example who, though a nice artist, had one male face and one female face and about two different hairstyles to put on top of them.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:

And that's just so typical of a Teen Titan cover. Everyone is running forward, and Kid Flash, is, inexplicably, not running any faster than Robin. What good is super-speed if he can never get to the action before Robin?

(I know, I know, cover composition requires it, but still, it bugs me.)

Just because a character can get to the action quicker than their teammates doesn't mean it's always wise to do so.

I've played Dungeons and Dragons long enough to know that those characters who run off and leave the safety of the group do so at their extreme peril.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Set

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
Just because a character can get to the action quicker than their teammates doesn't mean it's always wise to do so.

I've played Dungeons and Dragons long enough to know that those characters who run off and leave the safety of the group do so at their extreme peril.

Oh, I totally agree, I just think it's funky how cover composition always requires Kid Flash (or the Flash) to be running at super-speed to catch up to where Robin or Cyborg (or Batman or Aquaman) already got to without super-speed.

Same with Raven, who always seems to be teleporting to just behind everyone else, as if it takes her longer to teleport somewhere than it takes everyone else to walk there. [Smile]

I hear ya on the D&D though. In a game where the encounters are balanced to be a challenge for your entire group, running off alone is asking to be killed! (One reason why I've never been a fan of game mechanics that end up separating the group, like a flier or amphibious character in a party that doesn't all have that capability, or astral projectors, or cyber-deckers, or stealth-based characters, whatever.)

As for the cover above, I like the cover with Mento better. It's got some action and drama going on. The four faces of the new Masters of Evil doesn't really offer me anything.

[ June 12, 2012, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Set ]

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

I can't help but compare 14 to the Judas Contract annual (which is Tales, not NTT, and has already been covered)

The "silent" annual cover is more compelling to me. I realize you can't really convey the DAD part in gestures, but there you go.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
That crazy Mento ... It's like having Dr. Light as your father.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Leap Year Lord:
Click to enlarge!
Click for fullsize image

This cover kicks nass!!!!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
That crazy Mento ... It's like having Dr. Light as your father.

I was thinking of how Tiny Titans Raven is always mortified by her upbeat, Ned Flanders-esque (except that one thing) dad.
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

29: this is the only cover to have a green DC Bullet -- three are black, and the rest are either red or blue. The green here can't be a coincidence, given the central character's costume. Did the colorist always pick the bullet color --- anyone know?

I had forgotten that Plasmus was on this cover. You'd think that looking like dude-shaped 200-pound lump of strawberry Tangy Taffy that had been left out in the sun would make one memorable, but not always.

The figurative "villains looming large" cover is common enough.

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.