Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » The New Teen Titans 1980-1984: cover commentary (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The New Teen Titans 1980-1984: cover commentary
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
It's interesting how little the new Masters of Evil really 'stuck,' compared to, say, the Fearsome Five (Shimmer and Mammoth, or, at least, interpretations of them, as well as Psimon, can be seen in the new Young Justice cartoon, and Gizmo and a version of Jinx in the Teen Titans cartoon).

Plasmus showed up in the Teen Titans cartoon, but as more of a Clayface IV type character.

Phobia, Houngan and Warp just never seemed to gain any traction.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Perez's art can be funny sometimes. When Raven went evil, her hairline receded and her eyebrows went all 'Spock,' and it's the same between Koriand'r and Komand'r. The 'good' one has a shorter nose and 'normal' eyebrows and a normal hairline, but Komand'r is eeeviiil, so she has to have the receding hairline and the eyebrows that go all the way up.

Phobia, of the Masters of Evil, had the same 'evil' face.

I suspect at least part of the shock of Terra's betrayal was that Perez didn't draw her with a his typical angular 'evil woman' face.

And Teh Evol is also indicated by Komand'r's lack of a cute little WASPy uptilted nose. (Man, did that used to bug me back in the day!)

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
It's interesting how little the new Masters of Evil really 'stuck,' compared to, say, the Fearsome Five...

Yeah, especially their name. They were the Brotherhood of Evil. (Masters = Marvel)

OK, I now know that the BOE name comes from the Silver Age and heaven knows I love me some SA, but COME ON. Who would call themselves the Brotherhood (or Masters) of Evil? Fearsome Five...maybe, okay.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:

...It seems quaint to think of a time when heroes didn't kill but this was during it and I didn't like the rationale that 'it was war so they did what they had to do'. Super-heroes are meant to be better than that IMO. (That was another reason I wasn't a big fan of the Flash/Blackhawks issue of JMS' otherwise superlative Brave and Bold run.)

OM itself had a great deal of gratuitous violence right from the start. Giffen said in some interview that he was trying to avoid the "ballet... beautiful" violence associated with Frank Miller's Daredevil. But his approach wasn't any more appealing to me than Miller's. It seemed more hokey than realistic.

One critic also complained of how Giffen and Slifer excessively ridiculed Broot's people for their pacifism, hammering the ridicule way beyond the pale in a scene where Broot's infant baby literally had his head blasted off. (DC has always loved the little children, hasn't it?) I agree that it was pretty obnoxious. There was a lot of self-congratulatory "edgy" junk like that, which made me drop the book about three issues in.

quote:
...how good Perez was at varying the facial features of his characters. Talents like that are what set him far above an artist like Barry Kitson for example who, though a nice artist, had one male face and one female face and about two different hairstyles to put on top of them.

Well, he was better than most. Still, it's kind of irksome that because of the ugly woman = evil woman trope, he had to vary the faces of two characters who by rights could have plausibly looked much more similar than they did.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
And Teh Evol is also indicated by Komand'r's lack of a cute little WASPy uptilted nose. (Man, did that used to bug me back in the day!)

Ooh, yes! Perez loved his short upturned noses!

I, on the other hand, loves me some proboscis.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

[gasp!]

--------------------

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Getting back to the previous round -

I love, love, love the Speedy cover. Roy Harper was my favorite character back then so to see him come back and handle himself against this really scary team was a real thrill for me.

I love the composition of the cover too. The villains looming large over the heroes may be a trope but I can't think of any off the top of my head so it seems original to me. I love the use of the heavy shadows too - it really makes the other colors pop.

Speaking of colors - I really like the choice on the Mento cover to color everyone but him and Changeling in light blue. It's an interesting choice and probably what makes that cover pop too.

As for this round -

Oooohhh tough to decide. Probably two of the best overs in the run. I think I like the Robotman cover better because of the awesome sense of atmosphere it creates - the jungle at night setting, the decrepit temple or whatever that is, the torchlight falling on a disturbing scene - all give a sense that our three Titans are in a strange and scary situation. Plus the level of detail Perez puts into that jungle foliage is incredible.

The Deathstroke cover is great too. Who doesn't love a nice happy scene being wrecked by the psycho villain?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
quote:
...how good Perez was at varying the facial features of his characters. Talents like that are what set him far above an artist like Barry Kitson for example who, though a nice artist, had one male face and one female face and about two different hairstyles to put on top of them.

Well, he was better than most. Still, it's kind of irksome that because of the ugly woman = evil woman trope, he had to vary the faces of two characters who by rights could have plausibly looked much more similar than they did. [/QB]
I definitely concede this point - for sisters, they really do look nothing alike. I wonder how differently Blackfire would have been received/portrayed if she had been Starfire's twin, and therefore didn't have Perez's "evil" features to inform much of her character?
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

quote:
It's interesting how little the new Masters of Evil really 'stuck,' compared to, say, the Fearsome Five (Shimmer and Mammoth, or, at least, interpretations of them, as well as Psimon, can be seen in the new Young Justice cartoon, and Gizmo and a version of Jinx in the Teen Titans cartoon).

Plasmus showed up in the Teen Titans cartoon, but as more of a Clayface IV type character.

Phobia, Houngan and Warp just never seemed to gain any traction.

To me, the BoE always seemed like they'd stepped straight out of a horror comic into the Titans pages. Something about this team (as much as I love them - and I think their designs are some of the best Perez ever did) really disturbed me.

I wonder if that's why other writers have trouble finding a place for them? They seem a little cruel and ruthless for the more or less straight-forward super-hero world of the 80s.

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image

Another lady looming large while wearing green (with gold at the throat). I haven't read the issue, and the GCBD doesn't explain who the Flash cover gal is. The fist is probably "Bah! Curses!" but could be "Go Flash, get 'em!" The eyebrows however...yeah, those look like evil eyebrows.

I don't think there are any eyebrows as crazy-evil as Phobia, though.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe the Flash cover gal is angry because she bet on the opposing team.

[Poverty Lad]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

34: Slade blows apart the 'happy family' Titans picture although they don't know it but now we do

13: I also like the darkness although it doesn't quite match up. Beyond the thicket it looks like daylight, and even if the canopy of trees is very dense, would it be that dark? Also, for all the details of the foliage, the Titans' faces are somewhat nondescript, with Robin coming out cartoony.

I knew almost nothing about the Doom Patrol, so there was no emotional or nostalgic impact on that score.

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Blacula
Easy

I love the yellow and orange on the Dr Light cover. That must have really stood out on the newsstand.

The Trigon one is a bit busy for me. It's hard to know where to direct the eye. I like the way Wally seems to be protecting Raven though. I always forget that those two had sort of a thing going at one time. That relationship was like a shooting star - bright and intense for a brief moment and then hard to remember once it was over.

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

3: Blac, I agree that the yellow/orange really makes the cover stand out. It's not a common cover color combo, and not one that is necessarily a favorite of mine, but it is striking. This is the only black logo, and even though orange/black tends to go Halloweeny, it looks good. The line drawings are subtle but add a lot --- imagine the cover without them and it becomes too plain, I think.

6: Another interesting color thing, although I'm not sure if interesting = good or bad. When I pulled the image I thought it was a scan of a shopworn cover, showing wear in the way that dark covers do. Then I got out my hard copy and realized no, that's the gray cloudiness or energy or whatever.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.