Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » 2013 LW Gathering: Destination Chi-town (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: 2013 LW Gathering: Destination Chi-town
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry for the delay in response in response, Shiney.

As this past weekend was the San Diego ComicCon, I figured the planning discussions for that should probably take center stage for a bit.

That being said, though, your investigation into Chicago lodging couldn't have come at a more coincidental time:

quote:
Originally posted by Shining Son:
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
[qb]rather than hotels, consider: http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p235477

qb]

did some checking up on the apartment Kent found, and there's a $25 per person per night surcharge for every person above 4, so for 10 people it would actually be $525 a night...

... there is only a year to go, time to start looking at logistics. [Smile]

I just found out this morning that I have to take a day trip to Chicago this coming Saturday.

I'm going to have a bit of time on my hands, so I was thinking - as Kent's suggestion does seem very viable - that I could take a swing by the place, ask a few questions, and ask to see the rooms so we could get an idea about actual size. ("Sleeps ten" could mean a lot of different things.)

I also noticed a note on that site which said:

"For larger groups, consider one of our other units within the same building"

... so I'll see what those other options are.

I'll scout the place out this Saturday and report back with my findings probably next Monday.

quote:
Originally posted by Shining Son:
... do we have a running tally of the definites, the maybes, and can't-afford-its?

I think it still might be a little far out (over a year away) to have that finalized. The only person I would feel comfortable saying is a definite... is me.

(Hey, if nobody shows - I got the place to myself! Naked Time! [Wink] )

I took a quick scan over this thread, though, and, at first glance, it looks like about 22 people have expressed interest - but a lot can change over the next year and I wouldn't want to speak to anyone's commitment before we have a solid plan.

Like I say, I'll get the details on the lodge this weekend, and then, with that in mind, we can work toward finalizing the date over the next month or so.

Based on what those logistics show, I think we should probably start looking for an actual commitment from people maybe starting around the turn of the year (probably after the holidays).

Sound good, everybody?

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
The only person I would feel comfortable saying is a definite... is me.

Feel free to have naked time even if I am there.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
The only person I would feel comfortable saying is a definite... is me.

Feel free to have naked time even if I am there.
...there's a $25 per night surcharge... wait... what... drat, that should have been a PM. [Wink]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds like a plan, Ex. That'll work out great. I hope it's not a dump.

As for three nights, I'd be up for that. It could very well still be cheaper than two nights anywhere else we wind up.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh I know it's nowhere near finalized, that's why I considered it just a running tally of where people stand so far. I had an idea that would require such data.

Now with this group, if you promise naked time I think you can be assured you won't be alone.

I'm pretty sure by "sleeps 10" it meant two in each of the four bedrooms and two on the sofa bed in the living room.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
You da man, Ex!

Barring any unforeseen life dramas, I am reasonably definite.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Put me down as reasonably definite also. At this point it appears like I will get there via "mega-bus" so I may need help escaping from/to the bus station? Will we be downtown? Oh there's so many things I don't know! A cocktail will soothe my jangled nerves...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a reasonably definite as well.

Worst case for me is that I get there really early one day and head home that night. I've done the drive before and while tough, I can hack it if I cannot afford an overnight.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

quote:
Originally posted by lowercase mllash:
Will we be downtown?

I'm heading into Chicago tomorrow and I'll be checking out the proposed lodge site. A quick google mapping shows:

Click for fullsize image

... that it's about 2 miles as the crow flies from Navy Pier (which is pretty much dead center north to south of all the "cool stuff" - Sears Tower, Art Institute, etc.)

My wife and I took a trip to Chicago about ten years back. I think we stayed right around the same area, and not once did we wind up taking a taxi or anything, we just wandered on foot. So, depending what anyone wanted to do, I think it's fairly well located.

You bring up a good point about vehicles, though - I do have to scout out the parking situation.

I don't know how many cars we'd be looking at but I, at least, would be making a road trip out of it (by way of Louisville to see a buddy... you know who you are [Smile] ) so, at a bare minimum there would be at least one vehicle for ferrying.

So, like I say - I'll get the lay of the land tomorrow and have a lot more detail on Monday.

--------------------

Exnihil

Okey-doke...

I did a little weekend reconnaissance of the proposed lodging (called the North Side Suites) and here's the skinny:

1. Location:

Though the building is fairly close to Lincoln Park, it is actually classified as being in the neighborhood called, "Old Town". It is on the corner of Sedgwick and Eugenie streets in a very quiet neighborhood (it's across the street from a playground). If I had to describe what I think the neighborhood most looks like I'd say, "Sesame Street" - that sort of series of adjacent brownstones, but very clean.

It is a block away from North Ave - which is a main drag - and walking around a two block radius from there, I saw quite a few restaurants, coffee shops, and retail stores - so sort of a mid-level city street (that is to say, not downtown, but bordering).

Although I was correct in saying that this was the area my wife and I had lodged, I think I might be overstating the "walkability" to the downtown area. It is not so much the distance (as stated before, about two miles to Navy Pier) but more the constraints of weather. I think my wife and I had gone in late October, so it was quite a bit cooler. When I was there Saturday it was about 85 degrees and, strolling around the neighborhood, it definitely felt it. Add on another month (if we are talking mid-August) and I don't think anybody's going to be wanting to do a two mile city hike.

That being said, this location is just two blocks from a Metro stop and right on a bus line. Add the fact I was planning on having a vehicle, anyway, and I think transport to the tourist sites is not a problem. Speaking of vehicles, that brings us to:

2. Parking

On street parking, in plain view of all of the suites. I had no problem parking right in front of the building at about 4PM on a Saturday. As I mentioned before, the playground across the street seems to open up quite a few spots, as there is an entire corner of non-residential space.

3. Set up and Ameneties

So, what it is is basically a 4 story apartment suite. There are 4 units, the previous discussed "sleeps ten", and then 3 other "sleeps six".

All of them have cable and wifi, and there is a shared laundry room. All of them have full kitchens and outdoor patios with grills. The individual suites vary on the number and size of the beds, so here are the individual breakdowns (Q = queen, D = Double, SS= Pull-out Sofa) along with the specific web pages:

OT11-1r - 700 sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-1r.asp

1Q, 1D, SS

Max Occupancy 6

OT11-2- 900 sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-2.asp

2Q, SS

Max Occupancy 6

OT11-3- 1200 sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-3.asp

2Q, SS

Max Occupancy 6

OT11-1f- 1700sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-1f.asp

3Q, 1D, SS

Max Occupancy 10

So, overall, max capacity of 28. If we wind up deciding that this is the place for us, dependant on how many folks wind up commiting - and what their comfort level with sharing a room - it will likely behoove us to get multiple suites.

Obviously, if there is a female contingent (I know FC and Fanfie had mentioned they were possibilities) I would suggest either unit 2 or 3 specifically for them.

Sheep are not allowed (Sorry, Cobie).

4. Planning Schedule

So I spoke with the Management regarding reservations, and he said that booking for next August wouldn't open up until this coming November.

All four suites were currently occupied when I was there this past weekend. I actually ran into a family who was currently booked - A mother, father and two kids, on their way back from shopping. I chatted with the father for a bit and he said he was very satisfied with the lodging - remarking that it was quiet and very clean.

The Management said that although this month was fully booked, next month had several open weeks. I don't know if that is predictive for next August - but I imagine it would likely be a similar situation.

5. Next Steps

So, as I say, this was just an intial forray into one possibilty. Since we have about three months before intial bookings even begin for August, I figure we should open up the discussion again about whether this is the route we'd like to go.

It does seem conveniently located - close enough to downtown while still maintaining a nice separation, and very reasonably priced for the ameneties when divided across multiple people. Dependant upon personal preferences, the downside is the sort of "shared living" for a few days with other people, but, of course, moving in this direction is no preclusion to anyone opting out of the group plan and just getting their own hotel.

So...

You all have the floor, what are your thoughts?

[ July 23, 2012, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Exnihil ]

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I personally think it sounds pretty much as close to ideal for a group like us as anything will ever get.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
From my experiences in Dallas and San Diego, it is better to have everyone in the same building.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Yeah, me in a strange city, I wanna be around people I know or at least know OF. [Smile]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I want to be in the party room.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Roomies! [Wink]

I'll bring the reality tv crew ... ha!

Hopefully, I can make it, A weekend sounds reasonable though.

Those places look really nice!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.