Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » What's the story with the fish?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the story with the fish?
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Steve, I have always enjoyed your unique vision of the future. I loved the bizarre features of the aliens that you have created, especially Tellus. Did you have anything in mind when you created these two little fish thingies? I've always been intrigued by them whenever they showed up, and Nightcrawler has been gracious enough to provide them as an avatar for me! Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Umbra issue!
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Steve Lightle wrote on his "The Origin of..." thread at the old DCMB back in August 31, 2002, at 11:57AM -

quote:
Eryk Davis Ester asked:
"Can you give us any info on some of the background characters from the try-out issue (#14)? Particularly the two flying fish types and the red skinned girl with the bandana who made it on the cover."

Those "fish" characters have been referred to as Skreaks ... because that is the sound that Paul had them emitting whenever they appeared. I just remember tossing them in the backgrounds for some kind of visual continuity. I would repeat species types in scenes that called for the casting of "extras" specifically to make the Legion's universe seem more real. Too often artists would create alien characters only to discard them and create new ones for the next scene. Having familiar background types seemed more realistic to me, and may have helped make it all seem a bit more real ... I hope.

Steve

Hopefully, Steve will feel like stopping by and discussing this further. I plan on recreating "The Origin of..." thread in it's entirety, much like LegionPics down below.

[ August 08, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, thanks alot, nightcrawler. Man you are sure eager to please today! I agree with Steve that having the same species appear periodically did make it seem a little more realistic. It always bothered me that artists would create a bunch of types of species that you knew would never be seen again.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! I think Super Lad Kid is on to something...

quote:
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
Well, I will go where my great powers are respected. When I first joined Legion World, my powers of super smell-imitation were mocked because I could not properly control them. I can reproduce any smell that I have ever encountered, yet I have not yet received the proper respect that I deserve.

Steve, if/when the Skreaks return you have to give them this ability. It's quite unique. [Big Grin]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Steve!

Were you able to squeeze these guys into the background of your latest Legion issue? Inquiring minds want to know.

If it's too spoilerish, since they join at the end of it, I'll understand. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.