Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Futurians #0 (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Futurians #0
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm doing a happy dance right now!

This year at the San Diego Comic-Con, I was finally able to find this fourth, lost chapter in the Futurians saga. Also, the copy I bought is signed by the creator himself!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

For anybody who doesn't understand what I'm talking about, here's a brief history that Dave included in #0 (August 1995):

quote:
The Futurians began as a graphic novel for Marvel (Marvel Graphic Novel #9), wherein I recounted the adventures of eight extraordinary humans with powers gained by way of genetic manipulation from the future. The graphic novel did pretty well, went to three printings, and a series was called for.

Unfortunately, I let myself be lured away from Marvel and did the series for an independent publisher who promised pie-in-the-sky money. If I'd stayed with Marvel, we might be publishing Futurians #250 or something by now. Instead, I went with the independent, occasionally called Lodestone Publications, and my run only lasted three issues. A fourth issue was finished; this book you hold in your hands. Due to the vagaries of publishing, however, it never saw print as an individual issue until now. It was collected together with the previous three issues into a limited-edition second graphic novel in 1987. That second graphic novel was short-printed and is next-to-impossible to find.

There has been a renewed interest in The Futurians in recent months, and my friends at AARDWOLF and I decided to reprint the "lost" fourth issue, now numbered 0 for this edition, to test the waters for a possible new series. If you bought the three Lodestone issues but never saw the second graphic novel (and I know there are lots of you out there), here's your chance to finish the story.

Dave Cockrum

I didn't even know that Dave had finished the story began in The Futurians #1-3, until I asked Dave about it several months ago. I immediately started searching for either the second graphic novel or the 0 issue. And Sunday was my lucky day! [Smile]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
That would be a great thing to read. I've never been able to get my hands on any of the Futurians let alone the graphic novel.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Scott, hie thee NOW to www.milehighcomics.com -- they currently have 1-3 of the Lodestone series priced under $1 each!

[ July 21, 2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Poverty Lad ]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Those were some fantastic stories. Quite scary too.

I remember being stunned when I saw FUTURIANS # 0 on the stands a few years ago-- I bought it without hesitation.

When I realized it was the long-lost FUTURIANS # 4... well, let's just say I was SO glad to finally be able to read the end of that story.

I appreciate Dave making the effort required to get the story published after being screwed over by The Futurians' publisher.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Lad:
Scott, hie thee NOW to www.milehighcomics.com -- they currently have 1-3 of the Lodestone series priced under $1 each!

POV I meant to thank you for the link. I actually just picked up the 3 issues with the 0 issue special for 3 bucks off eBay. Now just to find the time to read them.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, that's even better! Good job, Scott!

And yes, DO find time to sit and read 'em all at once! And ENJOY!!! [Big Grin]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Which brings up a question. Is the 0 issue special really #4 and should be read as such or should it be read first?
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Read it as if it were #4.

And yeah, Scott, do let us know what you think of the series. I'd be interested in how well Dave sets up the story for those people who haven't read the Graphic Novel.

Is it confusing? Did he explain and establish the characters enough? I'm curious.

[ August 06, 2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
It sounds like I must be one of the only people who actually read the 4th part of the story when it was printed in color-- in the collection, published some years before #0. At the time of #0, I thought, an okay idea for those who bought #1-3 but didn't want to "have" to buy them over just to get #4... but at the same time, slapping a #0 on it, and it being the conclusion of a 4-0part story begun many years earlier... Was there really any hope for a thing like that to sell??? (I bought it anyway-- but that's me.)
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dark bamf
?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dark bamf           Edit/Delete Post     
Fact is, Futurians #0 sold 15,000 copies, which is pretty damn respectable for a small independent. And yes, if you get 1-3, #0 should be read as #4.

Also, the entire Futurians was reprinted a couple years ago in France by Semic publishing, including two new splash pages.

Dave

--------------------
Hey! Where the hell is my bamf smiley?

'D'OH!'
--Dave Cockrum, 2003

From: Pine Bush, NY | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Cool!
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Scott (Lightning Lad) sent me a signed FUTURIANS #1! YAY! Thank you Scott!

And thank you Dave for an incredible story/characters/art/etc.!

Lightning Lad
Founder

You're welcome Gary!

And it was a great story Dave. I'd definitely like to see more of the team.

Pov

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Scott (Lightning Lad) sent me a signed FUTURIANS #1!

Signed by whom... Scott??? [Confused] [Razz] [Laugh Out Loud]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Low-Middle-Income Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Scott (Lightning Lad) sent me a signed FUTURIANS #1!

Signed by whom... Scott??? [Confused] [Razz] [Laugh Out Loud]
Shh! I'm hoping he doesn't compare the signatures!! [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.