Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Origin of ... (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Origin of ...
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Latino Lad:
I remember that issue. I think it was Christmas with the Superheroes 1 or 2.

That was it LL, "Christmas with the Super-Heroes #2", from 1989. And I got the quote backwards. Basically, Deadman is feeling sorry for himself at Christmas because he's alone, and Kara reminds him that heroes give their all even if no one remembers we ever even existed. The final caption thanks the creators of Supergirl by name, and assures them "We still remember".

Mark Waid was the editor of that story. So, are you saying he was fired as an editor after this? Good! He's too good a writer to not be devoted to it 100% of the time.

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
>[...] Kara reminds him that heroes give their all even if no one remembers we ever even existed. <

An appropriate thought, in regard to many civic heroes, before another Nine Eleven rolls around.

And before that particular heroism is, well, put to one side in the public consciousness by the coming war.

... I'm sorry, the tragedy to come -- and war is always a goddamned tragedy, whether it's necessary or not -- has been weighing on my mind.

End of digression.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Omni Craig said:
"Mark Waid was the editor of that story. So, are you saying he was fired as an editor after this?"
I never heard that anyone was fired for editing a Supergirl story after she was written out of continuity. I think this must be a rumor or revisionism at work.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Eryk Davis Ester asked:
"Can you give us any info on some of the background characters from the try-out issue (#14)? Particularly the two flying fish types and the red skinned girl with the bandana who made it on the cover."

Those "fish" characters have been referred to as Skreaks ... because that is the sound that Paul had them emitting whenever they appeared. I just remember tossing them in the backgrounds for some kind of visual continuity. I would repeat species types in scenes that called for the casting of "extras" specifically to make the Legion's universe seem more real. Too often artists would create alien characters only to discard them and create new ones for the next scene. Having familiar background types seemed more realistic to me, and may have helped make it all seem a bit more real ... I hope.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lightle:
Those "fish" characters have been referred to as Skreaks ... because that is the sound that Paul had them emitting whenever they appeared. I just remember tossing them in the backgrounds for some kind of visual continuity. I would repeat species types in scenes that called for the casting of "extras" specifically to make the Legion's universe seem more real. Too often artists would create alien characters only to discard them and create new ones for the next scene. Having familiar background types seemed more realistic to me, and may have helped make it all seem a bit more real ... I hope.

And your efforts are appreciated, Steve! Just one request... when you do your fill-in issue(s), could you work the "Skreaks" into the background somewhere?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macrab2
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for macrab2   Email macrab2         Edit/Delete Post     
The issue to which Steve and some others refer is probably my favorite Baxter issue. As Steve said, creating a cohesive and complete universe for the characters really makes you care about them and makes it all "real."

I've said it before, Steve is one of the all time great Legion artists.

From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
"Skreaks"? How about calling them "Pisces"? As the Legion needs a water-powered member, Pisces would be perfect since they would be the one to have an ability to create waterspout, water vortex, hurricane, water-shooting from their mouths, etc...they have potential...I admit that I am the one who wanted to see them to join the Legion, instead of Tellus or Energy Boy or whoever.
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
To bad about Doom Patrol - I remember buying the issue after you left and being utterly horrified by how butt-ugly Erik Larsen's art was. To go from an artist like you to Larsen's intentionally more harsh-on-the-eye style seemed a bit of a reckless editorial decision. But there you go. If you'd stuck with the title though I doubt Morrison would have been asked to come on board to re-vamp it as soon as he was.

What about the Mentalla question though? Did you design it as a retro-tribute to Saturn Girl? I always assumed it owed more to Nemesis Kid - after all, that distinctive yellow-and-green helped plant the idea in the readers minds that she was a traitor.

Also - this has been bugging me (saddo!) for a while - who exactly was Terrus in the LSV? Did Levitz give you any clues as to what that character was supposed to be about?

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Comet King:
Also - this has been bugging me (saddo!) for a while - who exactly was Terrus in the LSV? Did Levitz give you any clues as to what that character was supposed to be about?

Good question! The "Who was Terrus?" thread comes up here every few months, so it would be nice to have a less speculative answer.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Comet King:
. . . I always assumed it owed more to Nemesis Kid - after all, that distinctive yellow-and-green helped plant the idea in the readers minds that she was a traitor.

I don't remember Mentalla as being a traitor.
She went undercover to break-up the new Fatal Five and show her worthiness to be in the Legion, I thought.
And was killed.

I know Steve has said he designed Mentalla using his wife as the model (and shown pictures).
He didn't mention the color scheme, though.

Shady

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
but her costume was soo similar to Saturn Girl's first appearance in Adv. #247 so we wonder if Steve used that as a homage. Is that it, Steve?
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Yeah Shady - I know Mentalla went undercover etc. but for the issues after she tried out for the Legion and before she used her powers against Flare there was the big mystery about where she went after she joined the Academy etc culminating in the "shock" revelation she'd joned the Fatal Five. We didn't actually know she was infiltrating the Five until the issue (or mebbe issue before) she died - we were supposed to assume she'd genuinely gone bad.

--------------------

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Traitor is just a big label to use on someone who wasn't.

Nemesis Kid wasn't really even a traitor, he was a spy and undercover agent for the bad guys/enemy.
He wasn't a good guy who changed and joined the other side, he was ALWAYS on the other side.

A 'traitor' is someone like Saruman from LOTR.

Shady

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Whatever

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

The point is, that she was believed to be a traitor, even if she didn't actually turn out to be one.

And one could argue that she betrayed the Emerald Empress.

But I think it's more likely the costume was meant as an homage to the early Saturn Girl. The similarities are far greater than to Nemesis Kid, anyway.

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.