Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » first time post from chris batista (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: first time post from chris batista
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Chris,

Gates was my favourite character in the reboot, and it really upset me that he was pretty much discarded very early on in DnA's run. Were there plans to bring him back to the front eventually, or was he just a character they didn't care for?

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Batista   Email Chris Batista         Edit/Delete Post     
As far as I know DnA liked Gates. He did get to rip off one off Rhas Al Ghul's hands. I enjoyed drawing him as well. I think with the limited time left, he was one of the characters that would never get a shot at the spotlight. It's the curse of writing the Legion, very difficult to get around to everybody. One of my old faves was Sun Boy. I had convinced the editor that the team needed him. I thought the fans would agree as well. He was going to be updated to not just be a Jonhnny Storm knockoff with a slighly revised classic costume.
Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Batista:
I hope you got your hands on some Olivier Coipel's Legion work. I thought he was outstanding on the book. He gave the future some real grit and made the Legion sexy without being cheesy. His work on the title was very intimidating and inspiring.

hey again Chris !!

i have some Olivier Coipel artwork !! i was a MASSIVE fan of his work on the book, and as you said he made the team ULTRA sexy !!

it's interesting to hear you say, you were intimidated [ but also inspired ] to come onto the book after him !!

looking forward to those upcoming '52' issues that you have mentioned !!

from

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Chris
Even though you never worked on the original Legion,Your still one of my favorite artists that drew the title, I could see your love for the characters in your artwork on the Legion just like I did with Dave Cockrum and Steve Lightle.
I would so love to see you draw the Legion in the costumes from the 70's and 80's.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Chris,
I loved your work on the Legion! Not only did you make the characters look attractive and exciting, your detail in backgrounds and tech and everything was excellent. That stuff really matters in the Legion comics.

I'm a major Dream Girl fan, so I'm fussy about how the artists draw her, and your version of Dreamer was lovely. Thank you for that.

I also enjoyed your JLA art a while ago. I was glad to see you there.

Hope you get to look around Legion World and have some fun. Since you've been a fan since the Bates/Grell era, I'm sure you can appreciate a lot of our humor here. The people of LW know a LOT about the Legion. We've made stars out of people like Sinde, the girl that Cos dated when he was mad at Lydda. We had a gallery exhibit (in the Bits of Legionnaire Business section) dedicated to the heroes memorializes at Shanghalla! We're INTO it around here!

Take care!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Chris Really pleased to see you here at Legion world.

I love your work of 52, really helps me undertand the story with all the little nuances.

I have to admit I was not a great fan of Oliviers work on the legion (although I can see the effect he was going for to match the mood of the stories) it was just a matter of taste I guess. When you took over the legion i was much happier and for me the artwork was much better.

Like a lot of the guys have already said, please feel free to join in the various silly and serious threads all over the place, the people here at Legion World are a great bunch to hang around with.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I wish that all the great Legion artists could continue drawing the Legion forever. You gave us a lot of beautiful, memorable scenes, Chris, and it's great that you're working on 52.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Chris, I absolutely loved "Dream Crime"! The synergy of your art and DnA's writing really shined there and was a highlight of that series. "Foundations" was a little awkward on the writing side, bur your art was very bright and imaginative.

This was the first time I'd seen your art since you were the original artist on "Steel". I thought your work showed promise there, but your Legion work showed major improvement. Absolutely beautiful!

I'm not picking up "52", but when I find out what weeks you drew/are drawing, I'll definitely seek those out. Looks like I'll have to seek out your recent Marvel work, too!

And I'll definitely pick up the new title you alluded to. I hope "52" and the new title help give you the superstar artist status you deserve!

Anthony

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
BTW, Chris, do you know at what point DC pulled the plug on "The Legion" in favor of Waid's revamp? "Foundations" was so heavily promoted that I was shocked to see the announcement come. The whole point of that storyline appeared to lay the groundwork for the future. Did they make the decision before, during or after "Foundations" saw print?

Thanks,
Anthony

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey Eater Lad:
At Comic-Con this summer Legionworld member Caliente and I were behind you in microphone line at the Legion cartoon panel Q & A but we didn't realize it was you at the time [Smile]

Wow, really?! I didn't know that!! [sigh] I could've bombarded him with questions like so many other lucky DCers. [Wink]

Anyway, it's great to have you here Chris. I love your work on 52, though I am dreadfully behind after being out of the country for 5.5 weeks, and will undoubtedly love your work on the DnA Legion when I finally find time to read it. (I've been slowly working my way through the reboot. [Smile] ) So, yeah. Woo-hoo!!

Oh, and I second Scott's Legion back-up suggestion. 'Cause yeah. That'd be sweet. (It was me who asked about the Legion in 52 at SDCC, btw. Along with a million other things...)

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Chris, I'm also a big fan of your Legion work - your reimagined Titan and "diner waitress" issue are some of my very favorites moments of the post-Zero Hour era, and I want to thank you for making the final year of The Legion a visual treat. Am I correct that you also redesigned Sensor? If so, good job. DnA's plans for fissioning Jarth make me shudder a bit, though. [Shudder]

I have to admit my reading of "52" has been pretty spotty lately, but I'm back into it with the current issue and I'll be sure to look out for your work. I wish you all the best with your new project and hope you have a long and successful career with DC.

My question is the same as Lardlad's. It seems the commercial success of 'Foundations' (or lack of it) must have been the final deciding factor in ending the previous continuity, and the decision had to have been made swiftly. Don't mean to put you on the spot, but we're all very curious about the inner workings of DC as it affects the Legion.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Chris, besides Sun Boy, were there any other Legionnaires from previous incarnations that you wanted to bring to the team?
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Batista   Email Chris Batista         Edit/Delete Post     
My favorite era is the Cockrum era, followed by Keith Giffen's masterful run with Paul Levitz. I was actually planning on getting Timber Wolf back in the Cockrum costume. With just a slight revision to modernize it. I wanted to do the sme with Violet, I just loved that design. Cockrum's Element Lad actually looked tough. I would love to draw the Legion in those outfits, except Cosmic Boy. Looked too much like a space stripper. Keith Giffen's redesign was sweet. Thanks for the Dreamer notices, I based her on Carmen Electra. Carmen just has thoose big Blue eyes that worked really well for Dreamer.

A Sensor fan? I thought everybody hated her. DnA wanted her to resemble a lethal mermaid of sorts. I took some cues from Zahn on Farscape. I was planning on some new patterns because snakes shed their skins. I never liked the snake with the arms. Not much fun to draw. Then again, I think I would have prefered Sensor Girl.

And yes SketchLad....I'm relly into it as well. Big, big, big, legion geek. I'm well versed with every era. Big thanks to you all for posting!

Querl Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Querl Dox   Email Querl Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome Mr Batista! I'm really pleased to talk to you as i've begun in the Legion with your art.

I will explain so you can understand. I'm from France (i'm only in the USA since last december) and i started to have access to comics-shops regularly only around that time as i moved to Paris. So i started collecting the Legion at that time too, and i was astonished by your art in it.

The title was my favorite as i really like DnA as writers, i follow them on their new books too now.

So it's a particular feeling for me, as it was my beginning, and i'm a little emotional about it. These issues will always be special for me.

Just to say thank you for all these wonderful moments each time i was reading an issue, i couldn't wait for the next one.

I hope your actual work on 52 will lead to another run on another title that will give you the exposure you deserve, and where we will be able to enjoy your art again.
I would be happy to see you on a monthly book again.

From: Saline, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

As far as other Legionaires returning, I would have loved Blok, Colossal Boy (Gim Allon),Tellus (needs more aliens) and Quislet. I'm sure I had others in mind but I'm drawing a blank right now. The Legion is meant to be huge and damn the artist! They have to protect the whole universe.

Those issues were very special to me as well Querl Dox. They represented my finally drawing what I truly wanted to draw for years. Comics are hard work and it really helps me, as an artist, to love the characters I'm bringing to life. With DnA at the helm I was a happy camper. I was'nt always happy with how it all turned out. Constant deadlines mean that you can't always do everything you want, but with the Legion I was always trying. Being on this board has been wonderful for me and I want to express just how much everyone's words mean to me. It especially matters that it is the Legion. As far as being on a monthly, 52 is doing that right now. I will have a series from it's completion. It's a character that I love as well. He's been great to draw in 52. If I could pick what book I would want to draw it would be Captain Marvel or Mr Miracle.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.