Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Can you tell when...

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you tell when...
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
A creator loves their work? Especially in the case of the Legion. I mean, an example from tv would be Buffy, as Joss Whedon had an obvious love for the characters and the directions their lives were taking them.

For example, I could tell that Paul Levitz really loved writing the Legionnaires.

The same could be said for the Bierbaums, even though it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, they put their heart into it.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I would think there's also a distinction between loving your work and wanting to produce the very best story or artwork, and loving the Legion. Or any other particular character. Some creators have stated that they don't want Legion assignments, usually because of the large cast of characters.

You wonder if likes and dislikes do play a part in individual characters - how often they're used for sure, but also how they're written or drawn. I'm not that keen on Tinya, for example; I'd draw her with a zit on her chin or something. If it would get past the editors.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
LOL.

I wonder if I could draw the words shameless hussy in the background anytime Saturn Girl hogs the spotlight...

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know how much you can tell by the reading of the story, but when I read about upcoming titles I'll definitely take a look at something if it seems to be a story the writer really wanted to tell and has passion about.

I started reading "Red Star" because of this and I'll definitely pick up "New Frontier" because of Cooke's obvious passion and years of work / research for this story (that and I'm a big Hal Jordan fan).

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
That's true - you do get a good sense from the interviews. I get the impression that DnA like the Legion, but they really love the concept more than the specific legionnaires. They have admitted to a few favorite characters, however.

Was there an interview with Coipel on the Legion? I haven't seen one - nor one with Batista.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I believe CBR had an article about Copiel which was definitely revolving around Legion because it was the only mainstream book he had really done at the time.

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it's commendable when an artist puts their all into an assignment they're not terribly fond of.

I am thinking, of course, of Mr. Curt Swan on the Legion.

He has publicly stated, on more than one occasion, how much he disliked drawing the Legion. Yet, you would never know from judging on his exquisite work on the series.

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.