Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Another Mark Waid Interview!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Mark Waid Interview!
Frog King
The B^|@h is back!!!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frog King   Email Frog King         Edit/Delete Post     
You can find another Mark Waid Interview here.

Here what he has to said about the reboot:

quote:

Jamie:

Okay by now the world knows you are rebooting the Legion of Superheroes again. Is this an effort to make the Legion more realistic as teens, and give younger people characters to identify with?

Mark:
Partially. Beyond that, it's primarily an effort to tell good stories with vital characters, plain and simple, regardless of their age. That said, artist Barry Kitson and I still think the best take for the series right now is the eternal conflict between kids and adults.

Jamie:

What is the age range going to be? We've read that this will be varied, and that cliques will form around ages, and who came in together, etc etc.

Mark:
Absolutely. The kids range from probably 14 or 15 to about 18, but they're not socially divided so much along age lines as among which ones can communicate on any meaningful level with any other ones. Remember, despite their humanoid appearance, all these kids come from different planets, different cultures, different civilizations--so it's no easier for them to bond as it is to make a meaningful fighting force out of a chair, a mathematical equation, and a sweater.

Jamie:

Can we expect to see a Legion of Substitute Heroes return, possibly as a rival group?

Mark:
Hadn't thought about that, actually. Hang on, let me write that down...

Jamie:

What about the villains? Will we see some of the classic villains reintroduced?

Mark:
No plans for the near future.

Jamie:

How about evidence that this is, in fact, a future descended from the DC Universe of the 20th Century?

Mark:
Heh. Pretty evident, I'd think -- but you be the judge when you get to page 14 of issue one.

Jamie:

What is the status of Bouncing Boy? Do we need to put more pressure on Barry Kitson?

Mark:
Be my guest. [Laughter.] I wouldn't count him out altogether -- we just won' t see him immediately.

From: Berlin | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
So I am getting that Barry is the "cool" creator with Mark the "corny". [Wink]

Not far to Mr. Waid I know. He doesn't want Timberwolf but does want Bouncing Boy? *sigh*

Anyways, I like the other interview better than this one. I understand the young vs. old...but members 14, 15, to 18 is just way too young for me.

I know some say they have always been this age but I disagree. They were this age for about 12 years or so...then they seem to age with the Grell/Cockrum a bit and then again with Levitz.

I had to see the Legion get rebooted into kids again by Waid nearly a decade ago...now again. Waid likes the Legion as young teens I don't.

Waid keeps mentioning Levitz but I think it really is just Levitz hype to get Levitz fans involved.

This has Adventure written all over it so why are we mentioning Levitz? It's the early members as kids...again. To his credit everything else seems new. But if this fails I believe the Adventure feel with the kids angle is the reason.

I always saw the legion members as college age not high school age. I started reading with Levitz/Giffen's first arc.

On other threads I've seen some frustration with the reboot. I am trying to be positive but 14, 15 to 18? *sigh* Doesn't care for Timberwolf but likes Bouncing Boy? Can Waid edit the series and Barry write/draw it? [Wink]

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, those ages seem younger than we were led to believe in other hints and spoilers. Still, it gives them room to grow naturally for another 10 years...

Curious comment about the Subs - maybe they will be making an appearance? I liked the Subs, but hope they concentrate on/develop the core team's personalities and histories first, before adding more characters.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
From what we've seen so far, do these guys look like 14 - 18 yrs old? I know kids develop faster these days with hormones in the milk and meat and stuff and who knows how humanity develops a thousand years from now, but with that "control his DNAppetite" billboard, it makes me wonder what kind of genetics are involved with children's development in this world. Even with Barry's sketches, these teens seem to be in peak physical condition.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't forget that not everyone was the same age, Levtiz-era. It was clear that the Adventure era Legionnaires were older than newer members. I'd be interested in seeing that explored.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Barry has commented that he doesn't seem them all that "teeny".

Ohwell I am over it. As you said they can grow over the next 10 years...and hopefully NO more reboots! [Wink]

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I want to see super-heroes, not super-tweens. I really dislike young teenage heroes. Hopefully most of them will be towards the 18 end of the scale.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yea, I want the adult Legion back!

I'm still not convinced by Waid's take so far. Barry's convinced me he'll do a great job. Visually, this look wonderful, but as always with Waid, it's hit or miss...

Let's hope his new brush with LSH will ne be the miss it was the last time :-(

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valor the M'Onell
Anything but a marvel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valor the M'Onell   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd prefer them from 16 to 20's but still people pick up the Teen Titans and if we have a stronge tie..hmm does anyone have Mark's e-mail adress?
From: Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm with you, Valor. Mid-teens to early 20s would be my preference. Obviously some of them are in their teens since we know for a fact that Lyle is a minor.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.