Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » John Forte's Art!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: John Forte's Art!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, so other than the occasional Superman story, I'm completely unfamiliar with Forte's art outside the Legion!

Apparently, before drawing the Legion, he did some romance and horror comics, as well as Blackhawk and some obscure stuff with Stan Lee!

Has any of this stuff been reprinted?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
He did the Tales of Bizarro World feature that immediatly preceded the Legion in Adventure Comics. Those stories have been collected in tpb form.

He also did a lot of work in romance comics. Much of his Jimmy Olsen work will probably make it into Vols. 2 and 3 of Showcase Presents the Superman Family, if those are ever released. In addition to his own work, he also inked a goodly number of Curt Swan pages

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Forte drew Element Lad much younger than the other LSHers & I loved that.
His Jan had the cutest button nose!

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You know, I'd forgotten about the Tales of the Bizarro World TP. I should pick that up sometime.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
While idly surfing the net, I happened upon what might be the most in-depth scrutiny of John Forte's Legion work that I've ever come across.

It's a fascinating study of the difficulties of dealing with Forte's approach to composition and perspective - with a great sidebar that examines the cognitive processes of children - as the author takes a journey from examining the work's strangeness... to discovering its beauty.

It takes a chunk of time to read (and I'd recommend reading the comments section of each entry, as well) but, well worth it:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Interesting stuff. I definitely think the point about the panels being designed more like newspaper strips, with each panel basically being a standalone design rather than in a traditional comic layout, is spot on.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I echo how someone pointed out that while you sense something isn't quite right with his art, it still charms your socks off (paraphrased).

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
He's my favorite of the Legion Silver Age artists. His work was unique and highly stylized, which is a refreshing and welcome change from the 'house look' of the Superman comics of the era.

As Dean Lee pointed out a few years ago, he was the best at glamorous walk on characters, style & accessories, architecture, monsters and so many other nuanced things.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Current obsession: finding John Forte romance comic work!

Also, apparently some his work in Journey into Mystery for Atlas has been reprinted, which is tempting to acquire!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
If you do, post scans!

He started in the biz during WWII, so there is like 15 years prior to DC where he worked for other publishers, including Timely / Atlas / Marvel.

He died in 1965--anyone know the story?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Glen Cadigan has a two-page write-up on Forte in The Legion Companion. According to Cadigan, Forte suffered from colon cancer and died on May 2, 1966 (not 1965, as Wikipedia has it) at age 47.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm still reading Colin Smith's lengthy analysis of Forte's style (thanks for the links, Ex), but I have to pause to comment on this:

quote:
But this is an effective representation of the worldview of a young, and by nature egocentric, child, where distinct character is of little importance, and where the defining individual details of costume and hair-style assume a disproportionately central importance. It's that silent world again, where individuals recede from our attention just as the space their bodies occupy fill up with colour and capes and insignias rather than anything of emotional meaning. And I've no doubt that this quality of Mr Forte's work made it very appealing to the youngest of comic book readers back in the pre-psychedelic sixties, just as an older audience would've felt, and perhaps still do feel, that the world they're looking at in the art isn't one they recognise, even by imaginative extension, as a reflection of their everyday lives.
I think Smith nails what Forte was trying to achieve and, in large measure, succeeded in achieving. My earliest Legion stories (including ADV. 333, "The War Between Krypton and Earth") involved this understanding of characters whose primary differences were that they had different hairstyles, costumes, and powers. The desire for nuanced character development came much later.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
My first exposure to John Forte's art was Adventure 290 & Adventure 318. I was too young at the time to notice anything unusual about his art. Later on when I started seriously collecting comics in general & LSH in particular I realized his art was rather stiff & had a lessor opinion of it. But I see that other aspects of his art more than make up for that. All the robots, aliens, space monsters etc... makes me want to compare him to Basil Wolverton. I'd really like so see some of his non-DC art

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Forte is fabulous!
From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.