Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Remembering Dave Cockrum (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Remembering Dave Cockrum
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
It was on Thanksgiving Sunday last year (November 26) that Dave Cockrum passed away at the age of 63. While in some regards it feels like just yesterday, in others it does feel like a whole year has passed, and given his connection to the Legion, I thought it only appropriate to remember his passing here. A lot of people on this board were lucky enough to interact with Dave while he was still alive, so he was more than just a Legion creator to us, he was a part of the online Legion community. We followed his ups and downs with his health, his continued frustration at his treatment by the industry, and his four month stay at the VA after he almost died from double pneumonia. We hoped for his comeback, but it wasn't to be.

Dave posted less as time went on, but the Internet gave us all an opportunity that simply didn't exist in our youth. Quite frankly, it knocked down walls that we didn't even know existed. If you've joined the boards since then, you missed out. It was always interesting to hear what he had to say in his own "voice," as well as learn the goings-on of the Cockrum household on a somewhat regular basis. I also know that posting online gave him a big boost emotionally and a lifeline that he otherwise wouldn't have had, so we were important to him, too.

It's been a year since Dave Cockrum passed away, but his memory lives on. If anyone has any antecodes of their own interactions with him, this would be a good place to share them.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I knew Dave through the mid-90s. He was a regular at the CBS where I worked.

He was a great guy, and he is missed.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
Are his posts still here? Could someone post the links to threads Dave Cockrum participated in? I'm sure those of us who weren't lucky enough to get to know him here, would like to read them. I know I would...
From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
Dave's user id here was dark bamf. It was the same handle which he used over at NightScrawlers , and I know that you can find his old posts over there using the search feature. His original home on the 'net was Classically Cockrum, where he posted as Dave Cockrum. He switched over to dark bamf on the old DC boards, due to their autocensor and his last name. The old DC board posts are long gone, but a search of "dark bamf" should turn up some of his posts in both the Legion and Hawkman forums.

--------------------

Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah, I see. Thank you! [Smile]
From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Type in "dark bamf" next to "Member Number or Public Display Name:" here.

(Either leave "Category: LEGION CLUBHOUSE" or switch to "Visionaries of Tomorrow" and you'll see his posts here.)

Whenever I get a chance I'll recreate some of his old DCMB topics in that forum.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
It's been a year already?! Wow, it does feel like yesterday!

I will remember him as one of the most influential comic book creators ever.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm so grateful I got to meet Dave in person a few years back, even if only for 10 mins.
He was a big teddy bear of a man, and I couldn't help but give him a hug after speaking to him.

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
I met him, too and didn't hug him, but yes, he was a very nice guy. Actually, most comic creators seem to be nice, at least when I've met them. Only a few exceptions, which I won't name here because this thread is about Dave Cockrum, a great artist in any era.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I never met him in person but he was the first person on the creative side that I "met" online at the X-Fan boards. He was nice enough to answer some Legion questions (he shot down the rumor that the Colossal Boy costume he designed was originally intended for Ultra Boy) and I was one of the ones that encouraged him to post at the old DCMB Legion board. He was great about posting neat little tidbits from his sketchbooks that just made me swoon. He and Paty always made a great one-two act at Nightscrawlers. I will alway think of him as the best of the Legion artists and a true comics great.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
When Dave first came to the Legion Boards it was the first time (for me) that I interacted with a true 'great' in comics (re: not someone currently working on a title). It was beyond awesome.

My Legion Roadmap was such that I was much more familiar with his non-Legion work at the time I was able to interact with him. I've truly come to admire his Legion stuff, which will probably my favorite work he's ever done.

He's missed. Really, truly missed.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imskian78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imskian78   Email imskian78         Edit/Delete Post     
nobody did more for the Legion in such a small bit of time that he was on the book. The Cockrum costumes here and in Xmen are bar none the best most original costumes in Comic books...Miss you much Dave!
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
When I picture the Legion,The first thing I see is Dave's wonderful art.

I never got to meet Dave or even chat with him on the message boards,But if I had I would have thanked him for getting me hooked on comics.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

How cool is this?

-

--------------------

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Very cool!
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.