Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Legion Creator Tenure (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Legion Creator Tenure
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
I think L.E.G.I.O.N. should be considered part of the LSH canon, myself. If I am not mistaken, I remember there was a scene on a later issue of v4 where a L.E.G.I.O.N. logo was found under some debris and this would tie the whole Dominator War directly to that book. But maybe I saw too much.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Superboy,

I did not include L.E.G.I.O.N. on the list. My reasoning was that the list should count only what seems intended as a "LSH" story. For that reason, I left out L.E.G.I.O.N., all but one issue of Wanderers, all cameo and A/R books, and most minor appearances.

I labored a long time over whether or not to include Phase's appearances in L.E.G.I.O.N. and Star Man's tenure with JSA, because I do count stories featuring individual Legionnaires, but ultimately decided against it.

I am however, very open to debate on what should or should not be included on the list. What do you think?

BTW, DeCarlo is on the list at #8 (41 books worked on). I have Laroque bit further down the list:

15. GREG LaROCQUE: 33
(LSH3 17-48p — LSH3A 3p)

Yeah I guess it's a judgement call really...not just PG but Valor was in it for a bit as well.

Hmmm...I don't suppose you have the rankings of Joe Staton and Dave Cockrum available do you?

I think Cockrum definitely rates the highest in terms of impact to actual issues drawn.

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Cockrum actually never did do all that many Legion books. I have him ranked 27th:

27. DAVE COCKRUM: 17
(L 25p — LSH2 300 — LSH3 45p — SO2 42p — SB 183p,184p,188p,190p,191,193,195 — SLSH 197-201,202p)

Staton did slightly more, although the figures are bolsterd by his inking the Karate Kid series.

19. JOE STATON: 27
(KK 1-9i — LSH2 259-260p,300p — SLSH 227p,243-249p,252-258p)

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
What does everyone else think? Should L.E.G.I.O.N. be added to the list? I've got two yes votes, so far.

Frankly, I forgot about Valor. Two Legionnaires, plus to Legion ancestors, plus a whole lot of Legion pre-history (although more and more of it retconned all the time) would argue for the series inclusion. I think I'm leaning that way, myself.

Thoughts?

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You'll have to decide, Portfolio Boy, what criteria constitutes a Legion story in your view. The idea is to not make the list so unwieldy that it would be meaningless. From my own experience, a somewhat narrow definition works best. This would mean excluding solo Legionnaire appearances as well as L.E.G.I.O.N. (Solo Legionnaires are not the same as the Legion as a team, but that's my view. Again, it depends on what criteria makes a story a Legion story to you.)

I had a similar experience several years ago when I wrote biographies for a Web site dedicated to the rock group Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship. Not only did this group change its name twice, but it also underwent numerous personnel changes. I wrote about 30 member biographies (and a lengthy group history), but I drew the line by excluding members of Hot Tuna, an Airplane spinoff group, who were not also members of the parent group. I reasoned that Hot Tuna was a different group, just as L.E.G.I.O.N. is a different group from the Legion, despite strong connections.

Only one fan ever questioned me on this decision, and he never responded when I gave him my reason.

The point is, make sure your criteria is logical to you as the list-maker, even if others may have their own ideas and preferences.

[ July 24, 2008, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Go ask Alice.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I did. She said to check with the Dormouse. [Big Grin]

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Was she ten feet tall?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

No, she was just as small.

--------------------

Jerry
active

What website did you write the biographies for? Are they still up?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Sadly, that Website no longer exists, but some of my biographies are available on Jefferson Airplane's official site. Here's one example.

--------------------

Jerry
active

Thanks for the link. Nice site. Great band. Great job on the bio's.

[ July 25, 2008, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Thanks. It was a blast being able to research and write about them.

--------------------

Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
What does everyone else think? Should L.E.G.I.O.N. be added to the list? I've got two yes votes, so far.

Frankly, I forgot about Valor. Two Legionnaires, plus to Legion ancestors, plus a whole lot of Legion pre-history (although more and more of it retconned all the time) would argue for the series inclusion. I think I'm leaning that way, myself.

Thoughts?

You definitely can't include solo series...if you do this becomes a totally different list with guys like Jerry Siegel, Jim Mooney, Curt Swan and Cary Bates smashing everyone else and not entirely due to the number of Legion stories they have produced.

And I can see point behind that against argument with the Wanderers as well, since they didn't really have many ties to the Legion other than a shared Universe/Timeframe.

L.E.G.I.O.N. on the other hand did feature multiple true Legionaires and their ancestors, and it was almost exlusively created, written and drawn by renown Legion creators like Mark Waid, Barry Kitson and Keith Giffen who all had multiple and lengthy turns on the actual Legion book. I always thought of it as a Legion book...sure not all the characters were recognizable...but you could say that about several versions of the actual Legion since then as well.

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Yeah, I'm leaning toward including L.E.G.I.O.N.

We may be on different pages regarding solo series, though. I include things like Karate Kid, Cosmic Boy, Timber Wolf and Inferno. I don't include Superboy and Supergirl stories unless there is a significant Legion connection.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.