Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Legion Creator Tenure (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Legion Creator Tenure
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy
BTW, DeCarlo is on the list at #8 (41 books worked on). I have Laroque bit further down the list:

15. GREG LaROCQUE: 33
(LSH3 17-48p — LSH3A 3p)

I'm amazed he was only on for 33 issues. I hated his art some much that I actually stopped reading the Legion for a couple of months before starting again like a crazed junkie.

quote:
Originally posted by Superboy
It could just be that it seemed to last an enternity because I literally hated what DeCarlo's inks did to poor Greg Laroque's pencils. I always figured Larocque had to be somewhat of a true gentleman because DeCarlo ruined his stuff month after month. To the degree that I'd say the pairing was a career setback for LaRoque. His other work he's shown to defeinitely have a fantasy-esque flair to his work that always kind of reminded me of a sci-fi version of Esteban Maroto...but the result of the pairing with DeCarlo was just ugly art.

But now, based on Superboy's comment, I guess I have to track down some example of Laroque's work in other books. I've hated his stuff for so long, it's probably time that I give him a second look.

quote:
Originally posted by PenaltyKillah
... and Waid, Waid, and Waid. The Legion of Three Waids consist of throwing away a 35-year old cornerstone of DC and eliminating its potential for mass (by that I mean 'general population' mass) popularity), THEN revamping a relatively young revamp to attempt getting kids to read it (well, at least he convinced at least one [Wink] ), and when that wasn't successful... bringing in a Super to 'aid' the Legion, which is always effective. Not!

(Dons fireproof suit) I actually really enjoyed Waid's recent work on the book. I was just fine with a new reboot considering that the Legion that got "booted" this time wasn't "mine." I'd really disliked the DnA run on the book and wanted to see the team get back to more of a club atmosphere. To me, WaK's Legion felt more like "my" Legion than the Reboot Legion ever did. One of the highlights of Comic-Con for me was catching Waid at the end of a Boom! Comics panel (it was right before the Keith Giffen spotlight in the same room) and telling him how much I'd enjoyed it.
From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenaltyKillah
Out of Continuity!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenaltyKillah   Author's Homepage   Email PenaltyKillah         Edit/Delete Post     
As much as I enjoyed Threeboot, I imagined it as a better fit if it was an Image Comics series or something... that's how far it was from the original look and feel of the Legion, the one that was progressively building to be one of DC's cornerstones... yet it kept getting shifted around, not allowing the sands of time to build around it. All in all, Mark Waid's a genius where it counts. But directing the Legion back to the right track? Not so much.

--------------------
"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

Unfortunately, the Legion is no exception.

From: Canadia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Director Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy
It could just be that it seemed to last an enternity because I literally hated what DeCarlo's inks did to poor Greg Laroque's pencils. I always figured Larocque had to be somewhat of a true gentleman because DeCarlo ruined his stuff month after month. To the degree that I'd say the pairing was a career setback for LaRoque. His other work he's shown to defeinitely have a fantasy-esque flair to his work that always kind of reminded me of a sci-fi version of Esteban Maroto...but the result of the pairing with DeCarlo was just ugly art.

But now, based on Superboy's comment, I guess I have to track down some example of Laroque's work in other books. I've hated his stuff for so long, it's probably time that I give him a second look.

Try his Flash run with Mark Waid and José Marzán Jr. He is one of my favorite Flash artists. And Mike DeCarlo is a great cartoonist (most of his work is with Captain Carrot and Archie, for instance), but definitely not good with superhero fare.

quote:
(Dons fireproof suit) I actually really enjoyed Waid's recent work on the book. I was just fine with a new reboot considering that the Legion that got "booted" this time wasn't "mine." I'd really disliked the DnA run on the book and wanted to see the team get back to more of a club atmosphere. To me, WaK's Legion felt more like "my" Legion than the Reboot Legion ever did. One of the highlights of Comic-Con for me was catching Waid at the end of a Boom! Comics panel (it was right before the Keith Giffen spotlight in the same room) and telling him how much I'd enjoyed it. [/qb]
I gotta agree with you that Threeboot is way better than the Reboot ever was, but in spite of some highlights, most of his run was undermined by irregular pencilling, a very weak board concept (youth against adults cannot endure too long) and some lack of characterization.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
And Mike DeCarlo is a great cartoonist (most of his work is with Captain Carrot and Archie, for instance), but definitely not good with superhero fare.

I can't think of Mike DeCarlo ever doing any pencilling...although I am sure he did.

I think you got him confused on the Archie stuff though, with Dan DeCarlo...the guy that was the Archie artist decades, and he was a great cartoonist, especially outside of his Arhcie stuff. But even that Archie look was copied by DC and Marvel(or hell maybe it was Dan DeCarlo himself doing it).

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Director Lad:

He's much better without Mike DeCarlo overpowering his pencils with all those heavy inks.
Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
And Mike DeCarlo is a great cartoonist (most of his work is with Captain Carrot and Archie, for instance), but definitely not good with superhero fare.

I can't think of Mike DeCarlo ever doing any pencilling...although I am sure he did.

I think you got him confused on the Archie stuff though, with Dan DeCarlo...the guy that was the Archie artist decades, and he was a great cartoonist, especially outside of his Arhcie stuff. But even that Archie look was copied by DC and Marvel(or hell maybe it was Dan DeCarlo himself doing it).

Yeah, you are right, I think I mixed up with Dan DeCarlo. But I think Mike did work with more cartoonish books somehow.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Simply fascinating!
From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
As opposed to complexly interesting? [Razz]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Let's leave my complexion out of it, darling.

Auntie Anita is continually vexed by an oily T-zone!

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.