Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Remembering Dave Cockrum

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Remembering Dave Cockrum
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
Given the upcoming holidays, and the likelihood that most people won't be here on the day in question, now would be a good time to note that this Saturday, November 26, is the fifth anniversary of the death of Dave Cockrum. For those of us that have been around since the pre-Legion World days of the old DC board, we can remember a time when it was possible to interact with the man himself, and to see "Dark Bamf"'s name appear on our computer screens.

We can also remember his struggles with employment and health, and the fact that he didn't let them get in the way of interacting with his fans. After he died, Paty told me that his online activities were his lifeline back when he was sick, so there's some comfort in knowing that his fans did for him what he was doing for them. During that period, Dave thought that he had been forgotten by the industry to which he had devoted his entire adult life, but every time that he logged on, his fans were there to remind him otherwise.

If anyone has any memories of him that they'd like to share, this is the place to do it!

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
It is hard to believe it has already been five years since Mr. Cockrum left us. Out of all the many brilliant Legion artists, he is still number one in my book. His dynamic style and original costume designs is what hooked me on the Legion for good back in the early seventies. His artwork and stories still hold their own 40 years later, which is a testimony to the true art he created. I regret I never got to meet Dave in person, but from what I have seen and heard, he was as great a person as he was an artist. I wish Mrs. Cockrum and family best wishes during this holiday season and always.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I remember "dark_bamf" posting on the old DC boards. I was thrilled to see such a high-profile creator really interacting with his fans.

Thanks for starting this thread; it's great that he be remembered.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I met Dave once at a convention here in Kansas City; this was after he started posting on the DC boards. I introduced myself as "He Who Wanders," but he had no idea who I was. [LOL]

I still have the Legion issues he signed for me. These are comics I've had since childhood -- most are in tatters, but he signed them anyway, even ones with back-up stories drawn by him and covers drawn by someone else.

That Bates/Cockrum run of Superboy and Superboy staring the Legion of Super-Heroes was among the earliest comics I ever read. It played an enormous role in my love of the Legion and desire to pursue writing comics (and, later, writing in general).

It was nice to be able to thank him for that.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
He was the artist on Legion when I first started reading their adventures, so he'll always be #1 in my book.
I'm so happy I got to meet him in person.

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Dave Cockrum made me into a Legion and comics fan, someone once said every comic was somebodies first, well my first had Dave Cockrum and the Legion, how lucky can a kid get!

I'm just sorry I never got on the web regularly before Dave quit posting on the DC boards to tell him how much his work meant to me, and that he would always be at the top of my favorite list of comic book creators as would his creations!

Top Ten Classic Cockrum Creations I miss.

1. Feral Timber Wolf design
2. Original Wildfire design
3. Nightcrawler
4. Tyr
5. Legion Cruiser design
6. Infectious Lass
7. Karate kid design
8. All of his other costume/character designs
9. The Futurians
10. His designs for the Outsiders/Strangers that never got the chance to be in the Legion

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember him on the DC boards, too.

I enjoyed his Legion run, even though I began the Legion with Forte and Swan.
My favorite work that he did was on the X-Men and the Futurians, though.
What amazing characters.
I always regreted that he couldn't do more with his Futurian creations.
sigh

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
For more remembrances of Dave's Legion run, check out my latest blog post, which also includes some of his (in my opinion) most memorable Legion panels.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Dave was the very first creator to interact with me on the 'net... I know, he interacted with everyone but it still made me feel special. [Smile]

I remember he had a LOT of fun on some crazy Drag Queen names tangent we'd gone off on, at the old DC board... he seemed tickled by the name 'Sofonda Peters'!

X-MEN # 100 has YET to be beaten as the single finest-drawn issue of ANY COMIC BOOK EVER. As much as I loved the previous issues he'd drawn, even little kid-me could see he had STEPPED UP his ALREADY AWESOME art-game for that issue.

And then there's the beauty of Infectious Lass.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I regret that I never met him in person or interacted with him online while he was alive.

If I had to choose one single issue that sums up his genius, I'd nominate his final X-Men issue, #107, which introduced the Imperial Guard and the Starjammers.

He is one of my personal Top Three greatest designers ever to work in comics, alongside Jack Kirby and Alan Davis.

Dave, wherever you are, we miss you.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.