Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Best Pop-Up blockers (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Pop-Up blockers
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Ok, I've got google tool bar and I still get a pop-up every couple of pages I go to. I've got Macaffee, so I don't think it's a virus (which I thought it was).

Pop-ups are the worst thing ever. They are beyond annoying.

What are some of the best pop-up blockers (that are free) that you guys know about, and where do you get them? I can't take the maddness anymore!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
You might have spyware on your computer, also, Des. I'll send you a disk with the AdAware executable I sent to Cru. Won't stop the pop-ups, but it WILL eliminate those caused by spybots.
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
And keep AdAware updated. I swear there are updates on a daily basis anymore. Just about every webpage you open installs spyware. I run my AA at least once or twice a week.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I run a basic AdAware system once a week and in that space of time I usually get about 22 on the system [Frown]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:
I run a basic AdAware system once a week and in that space of time I usually get about 22 on the system [Frown]

I get anywhere between that and maybe 40 new ones a week. But a lot of the comic news sites (Comics Continuum especially) are the culprits of those new additions weekly. But I jones for my comic news so I keep going back.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm pretty sure I have spyware on my computer, although I never knew what it was [Frown] .

Thanks Bri! Adaware might be just the thing I need to get rid of both that and the pop-ups.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Just be careful when blocking pop-ups all together. This board uses pop-ups for various functions. I had to disable my pop-up blocker to see polls, graemlins, preview post, etc.

[ June 29, 2004, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Pop-ups are the worst thing ever.

I know!

Especially when you're in class, and you have to just sit there with your books on your lap until everyone else leaves the room. It's embarrassing!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
[Nightcrawler]
{ Just be careful when blocking pop-ups all together. This board uses pop-ups for various functions. I had to disable my pop-up blocker to see polls, graemlins, preview post, etc. }

In Netscape 7.1? I didn't. LegionWorld.net isn't on the list in my Popup Manager (sites where I'm allowing pop-ups), and all of the above displays just fine.

It's supposed to block unrequested pop-up windows, and it's doing superbly. I've only had to place one site on the exemption list in nearly two months of use.

I use "Spybot -- Search & Destroy" among the free anti-bot-ware programs. These, by the way, don't require one's being comfortable with (extremely minor) surgery on the Windows Registry to fully do their job, but those skills do help.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I once had some type of pop-up stopper that wouldn't let me open the extra graemlins page when I first got to Legion World, although once I clicked it off I was able to.

I have no idea why I no longer have that pop-up stopper. Where did it go? Why do pop-ups haunt my internet browsing? These are things that I have no answers to.

I definately have spyware on my computer too, although what it does and how to get it off are things that I know very little about...

Lightning Lad
Founder

Just use AdAware or even Spybot (I've used it as well) Cobbie. They will do all the work for you and you won't have to worry your pretty little head.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Jumpin Catfish! Check this out:

I bought MacAffee, b/c I was convinced there was a virus on my computer, from the pop-ups. I ran it. 7 viruses!!! WTF?! 7!!!

Then on all you're suggestions, I downloaded Spy Doctor 2.0 from www.downloads.com and ran it. I had freakin' 98 spyware and adware thingies on my computer! 98!

Holy hell! My computer has been infected for months! I hope it's now all Ok and cleaned up!

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
With the various spy- and malware removed, you should notice an increase in overall performance, Des. And 98 sounds about right... When I first ran AdAware on my machine, it found 130 or so files on the initial scan. I won't ever own another PC without it-- or my ZoneAlarm firewall.
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Its been about a week since my last scan so I just ran through it. As usual there was a new update so I installed in. 16 new invaders on my system bringing my total (since I reinstalled in on my laptop) to 398 files scanned and removed.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

You guys have no idea how shocking this is to me. Plus the seven viruses that MacAffee got rid!

Now I'm scared to even search the web. I never even knew what spyware was until you guys replied to this thread.

I'm running both MacAffee and Spy Doctor on my family's computer, which I know for certain has a few viruses. I bet it's loaded with crap!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.