Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » How not to use the [IMG] tags! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How not to use the [IMG] tags!
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Ok. This has been a long time in coming. Some of us have been guilty of this faux pas for awhile now and because our little community hasn't had enough traffic to have too much of an adverse affect of the images that people have displayed, I've tried to keep a blind eye or in some cases even sanctioned the activity.

But, as in this case (the first post originally contained [IMG] tagged images from the site linked therein), we recieved a stern and justified talking down about bandwidth theft by the site's owner and I had to go and edit the images into links to stop the theft from continuing and getting us into further trouble.

Here's some sites I'd like everyone to read to get a better understanding of the issue:

What is Hotlinking and Bandwidth Theft?

Don't Even Think About It!

Bandwidth Theft

Wikipedia's listing

And lastly, our own White Raven's (Kat's) take on the subject. [Smile]

So, now that you know about it, what should you do or do differently? First, try to set up the image you'd like to share on your own server/website/image host and link from there. Or, you can use our (admittedly limited) album to upload the image to here to share. [EDIT: Users can upload images using the "Upload File Form" link now!] Or, if your album is full or you can't access it, contact either me or Lightning Lad or our site e-mail: legionadmin@legionworld.net by e-mail with a copy of said image and we'll upload it here for you to share.

Or, if all of the above fails or is too complex for a quick little joke/post/whatever, you can always link to the image instead. [Smile]

[ March 12, 2008, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Whoa! I'm a criminal!

Thanks for the info Gary - this technodope herenever thought about the ramifications for the original site.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
So setting up an album at a site like Photobucket and linking to the images there is cool? You're referring mainly to just linking to an image on another site rather than one you specially uploaded to another site?
(I suspect you are but it's late here and I'm tired. [Wink] )

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I have no idea who Pariscub is. I've never talked to him before. This is what I told the FBI.

Star Boy setting up your own account on any of the websites that offer the service should be cool.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Gary,

Might I suggest also placing this thread (and making it a sticky) in the other forums.

Just so more people will see it

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I have to admit I've gotten really bad at hotlinking lately because we've basically cut off every conceivable way of uploading from work (where I tend to live). PowWeb sites especially, for some reason, have been blocked from work for FTP purposes. Even their on-line web-based FTP only works when we are having some network issues at work.

So while I am more than glad to help out uploading or storing images here or at my sites if you ask me during the day chances are you'll have to wait until past 8:00 pm (Mountain Time) before I can upload it.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Photobucket, ImageShack.us, and other such sites encourage you to upload images, and provide hotlinks in various formats for use with message boards like this one. These services are usually free. They don't take bandwidth from private parties' Websites.

ImageShack, which I've long been using, has no limits on the number of such graphics you can place on line. (They do have maximum sizes, but it's a courtesy to others strongly down-size such Web-posted graphics anyway. And you can only upload one image at a time with the free service.)

More details are in the storage/hosting/linking thread that's stickied at the top of Bits. (Soon to be updated.)

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm still not super-clear on why it's such a big deal. Does it damage the other person's computer or files-- or increase their costs in any way?

Don't we link images from other comics websites ALL the time... (namely, various comic book covers)?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It is a cost issue Lash. Most providers charge you for the bandwidth used and with us linking to their images it counts against their bandwidth. In some cases they may not have much and going over their limit can incur major charges.

As for us linking ALL the time, we shouldn't be unless we have the permission to do so. Regular linking, like this is fine. It is when we pull an image directly into our site that causes the issue.

Like Gary stated if you want to share a photo that is posted elsewhere on the web and do not have permission to hotlink to it, send it to us for hosting or just provide a regular URL link instead of a IMG or THUMB link.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Right.

Let me give you an example. I own a free domain, http://nightcrawler.8bit.co.uk/ that's hosted by a company called http://www.portland.co.uk/ and costs me nothing. Usually. As long as the account does not exceed 100MB of transfer each month (FYI, LegionWorld.net averages about 400MB or more a day). Anything above that I have to pay hard-earned money for.

So one day, I decided to host some images about some DCD toys and link to them at the DC Direct message board at DC COMICS. Within a few hours I had exceeded my bandwidth and got a bill from Portland. I had to pay £15 at the time which equated to almost $30.

It doesn't sound like much. But for an otherwise free site and money that I could have used elsewhere, it was a lot. For a momentary act of kindness for toy collectors I don't know or at the end of the day even care that much about. The only good part was that this was my bonehead move to make and not the result of someone else finding the images and linking to them. That's how it can cost other people and why it could be a problem.

The above example was just from linking to something. But when we display an image here on the message board pages those images are loaded onto our computer's cache from the other person's webpage everytime someone looks/loads at that page here. Not there. Not just when they click the link. Everytime. It adds up and can ultimately cost the original website money.

Anyway, I wanted the members to be aware of the situation. I'm not going to police it unless I get a notice from the original website as I did in the above example or if I'm pretty certain that displaying the image(s) will cost or be detrimental to the original site. However, I would appreciate everyone becoming aware of the issue and trying their best not to contribute to it in the future.

Scott and I are around to help if need be and Grey has given wonderful examples on how people can host their own images to share.

[ November 17, 2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I always knew you were all a bunch of criminals, corrupting my innocent young mind!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Aw. I'd just HATE it if I ended up costing this !@#$er some money:

[Evil] [LOL]

Edit: Images removed [Smile]

[ November 17, 2005, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Spellbinder ]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
^^^^
Bad boy

I suggest we all go to that sight and leave multiple messages of apology.

~snicker~

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
Aw. I'd just HATE it if I ended up costing this !@#$er some money

Actually, since you only linked to one image, they all count as Just One Hit [Smile]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I had no idea this could cost people money. I'm totally against that; their money isn't mine to spend.

Just in the past week I bet I THUMBed about 20 different creator pictures found on various comic book websites to the "Sexy Creators" thread; do I need to delete these?

I just figured they were public domain or whatever.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.