Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Microsoft Word - things you can do on it

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Microsoft Word - things you can do on it
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
OK, this is the all 'Microsoft Word' thread, for those of us at work that use it all day and have the go ahead to do things with it.

If I wanted to paste a picture from a website, can I put it right in to Microsoft word?

Let me give you an example of what I mean: my company, of which I'm supposed to be this young superstar that forrays into all aspects of the company (except spelling of course), is thinking of putting ad ideas together. I wanted to get a picture of Uncle Sam (the traditional "I want you!" pic) and put it on Word, and then write in some text around it. Isn't that pretty easy to do? (If I could put it right in, I could put it in a text box or something...)

Just simple things that I bet Scooter and Reboot and others can answer so fast that its not worth me taking a long time on... [Big Grin]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Jillikers! I already figured out how to do this! This computer stuff isn't so hard (its only been six years [Big Grin] )
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Word is the devil! The devil I tell you!

Actually all the coding we do, Word just complicates matters. Word has some nasty code that it adds if you try to use it as HTML (don't even get me started on the most unholy of programs, FrontPage). That's why we insist all requests sent to us are sent as plain text. It is easier for my team to create the code from scratch than clean up the unnecessary crap Word adds.

Don't get me wrong. It is fine for creating documents and memos. Just don't ask a web programmer to use something you created in Word. They'll most likely pull all their hair out. [Smile]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
AND yours. [Razz] [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just the short ones. [Eek!]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Word is all right, but whenever I'm doing anything that involves images and stuff I go for Excel. For me, Excel does everything that Word can do, but with bonuses.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
OK, this is the all 'Microsoft Word' thread, for those of us at work that use it all day and have the go ahead to do things with it.

If I wanted to paste a picture from a website, can I put it right in to Microsoft word?

Let me give you an example of what I mean: my company, of which I'm supposed to be this young superstar that forrays into all aspects of the company (except spelling of course), is thinking of putting ad ideas together. I wanted to get a picture of Uncle Sam (the traditional "I want you!" pic) and put it on Word, and then write in some text around it. Isn't that pretty easy to do? (If I could put it right in, I could put it in a text box or something...)

Just simple things that I bet Scooter and Reboot and others can answer so fast that its not worth me taking a long time on... [Big Grin]

Well, Cobie, do you have Publisher in your collection? It can do a lot of crazy things with Word Art and such. But as to your picture query, just go to the Format section of Word and click on where it says Edit picture...and there you see a lot of interesting little buttons.

On one of those buttons there is a way in which you can frame your text around the Uncle Sam picture - called Word-wrapping (I think - it might be different in your neck of the woods). You can place the picture anyway you like - top of the page, bottom, left, right - you name it - just give your creativity a chance to breathe.

I hope that's some help to you, dude [Smile]

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Thanks LAM! All computer advice is good for me [Smile]
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Word is a four letter word.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Pity there's been no decent easter eggs in Word since the infamous pinball game in Word 97...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.