Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Do not post a general discussion topic about an issue...

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do not post a general discussion topic about an issue...
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
...until either you've read a preview or have the book in your hands! Any such topic WILL be deleted. Period.

Redundant statement (but apparently necessary): Do not create a topic as a placeholder until the issue hits the stands!

Also, remember if a topic has already been started about an issue and you start a new topic after that...IT WILL BE DELETED!

^ Me laying down the law!
Me asking nicely. [Smile]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
So are issue solicitations, or talk elsewhere about provocative coming issues or series involving general industry buzz, or advance sketches of covers provided by Barry Kitson, no longer to be discussed, period?

(And should Barry and other such creators just forget about giving us any more of the advance inside scoop?)

No speculation about any forthcoming series or comics event is allowed any longer until an issue of the same is actually physically published?

And is this limited to comics?

And can you tell us why?

You can understand, I hope, that without more details, this sounds somewhat vague, inconsistent with much of the Legion and Dr. Gym'll's boards' legitimate traffic ... and, to me, more than a bit petulant.

[ June 24, 2006, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
This is the way I see it.

On www.televisionwithoutpity.com, the forums (admittedly quite a bit larger than our own) have topics for speculation, spoilers, creator interviews, creator feedback, etc... just like here, but one thing they do is the administrators actually create a thread for actual discussion of the television show in question, lock it, and then open it at 9:01 following the end of Lost or American Idol, for example. I see this as the same sort of thing. All the speculation, all the previews, all the spoiler threads you want, but the actual discussion thread about the issue should be started on the day the issue hits the stands. I think it's a fair request.

We're not limiting discussion, we're just making it so that someone can't start the primary discussion thread on an issue a month before the issue comes out (in most cases, just because he wants his name on a 100+ post thread.)

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
In The Legion and Titans forums, the general pattern is that there is a particular spoiler thread started whenever a new issue comes out, in order for people who have actually read that issue to discuss/review its contents. This thread is usually highlighted in the forum until the next issue comes out, so that discussion of the issue of the sort that's informed by reading the issue can be kept in a single thread. These sorts of issue-specific threads are distinct from speculation/solicitation/news threads.

Generally, the first person to read the issue and post on LW starts a thread of this sort. However, there have been cases of people starting issue discussion threads of this sort days or even weeks before the issue actually comes out. This is what Gary wants to stop, I take it. As for why, he can probably answer the question better.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I had linked to an example in my post.

And I think KP and EDE did a fine job of answering/explaining things better. Thanks guys!

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Should we take it that Mystery Lad's "Calling the Roll" threads are a special exception to this new rule, since they seem to be permitted?

If they're considered to not be a "duplicate," due to the perspective that he uses for discussion, does finding a different initial perspective allow a second thread on any other topic? And if so, how different?

I'm trying to pin this down so that we won't find too many discussions wiped out suddenly. Sometimes a thread gets immoderate or nasty, and the only way to endure things is to get a fresh discussion going in a new thread. (This was needed more than once as a workaround with Reep.)

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
In regards to the duplicate thread rule (which has really been around since the beginning of LW, and is nothing new), I'm not sure one can "pin down" specific rules as to "how different" a topic has to be from another topic before it counts as a duplicate. The goal is to encourage positive discussion. Generally speaking, having two threads on the same subject diffuses discussion rather than promoting it. It ultimately ends up being a judgment call on behalf of the mods/founders as to whether a particular thread should be merged or deleted.

As for "Calling the Roll", I believe you can indeed take it to be a "special exception" to the rule. It is an exception that probably exists more for historical than for principled reasons, however. I think it's fair to say that posters should not be encouraged by its existence to try to develop their own review threads from "different initial perspectives".

[ June 30, 2006, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.