Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » VIRUS ALERT!!!! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: VIRUS ALERT!!!!
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry to let "real life" intrude, but I got snagged by this earlier on...

Any and all Win NT/2000/XP users should IMMEDIATELY go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp and download the patch within (especially, but not exclusively if you've been getting "Remote-Procedure-Call" errors that have been forcing restarts. Then, its a cure, otherwise its preventative).

Next, update your anti-virus software and run a full system scan. Look here for more info, or if you don't have an updatable anti-virus program installed.

Some birthday...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

*sigh* [Frown] Don't the worthless fucks who write these viruses have better things to occupy their time? They've gotta be the only lifeform lower than telemarketers... [Wink]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp
Above is the windows patch that fixes the flaw which allows the Blaster worm.

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html
Above is the URL to a removal tool once you have been infected.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11
Above is a sans summary of the Worm...

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Hrrmmm.... .I d/l the worm removal thingie, but it says I should turn off my system restore option before running it, but I can't seem to figure out where to go to do that .... [Frown] and I promise, I've really looked...
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
System Restore option in Windows Me/XP
Users of Windows Me and Windows XP should temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, in some cases, online scanners may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you scanned your computer with an antivirus program and did not find any infected files.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:
How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore.
How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore.

For additional information and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder (Q263455)."

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Whoops, those links did't carry. Sorry. Here they are. Note: the two symantic links are getting page cannot be displayed errors as I type this, they are probably just getting POUNDED at the moment.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001012513122239

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001012513122239

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263455

DrakeB3004

Thanks --- that was most helpful! [Smile]
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
So, if you disable this Restore System thingy, and something goes wrong during the virus cleanup, are you gonna be screwed? I'm only asking cuz I'm gonna have to try this tonight, and I'm just wondering what I might be in for [Frown]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
This is exactly the problem I was having last night.

Thanks, Sanity or Madness. I'll try to fix it tonight.

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by Princess Crujectra:
So, if you disable this Restore System thingy, and something goes wrong during the virus cleanup, are you gonna be screwed? I'm only asking cuz I'm gonna have to try this tonight, and I'm just wondering what I might be in for [Frown]

I don't know what might happen if something happens during the cleanup, but I d/l the worm killer thingie, disabled my restore system default, ran the program, rebooted and ran the program again -- the second time I ran it, it said that the worm wasn't found (the first time I ran it it said that it had found and deleted 1 file (the worm presumably)). Then I put the restore program thing back on.
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I know that I'm just being a big baby, but this whole thing has got me feeling sick to my stomach. I hate computer problems. Even though it will probably be fine, the anxiety of not knowing is making me almost nauseous. I really need to make some computer-literate friends that live nearby [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Once you remove the virus, don't forget to download the patch, or you're just going to get it again. This isn't an attachment-type virus-- you can pick it up just by getting on the internet, if it's spread to your provider. What a bitch.

I have to run over to my Mom's after work-- My sisters' computer is infected. Luckily, a guy here at work walked me throught the process, and gave me floppies with the removal and patch programs.

There really ought to be public executions for virus writers... [Mad]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

So, if I downloaded the patch last night, I have to download it again after cleaning the virus?

--------------------

Pov

I'm assuming NO. Once the patch is in place, it should prevent reinfection; you just need to get rid of the virus, and you'll be all set.
Spellbinder
Founder

I think, just to be on the safe side, I will back up a few files onto a CD before trying the virus removal. I'm sure everything will be fine, but I'm just so afraid that something will happen and I'll lose these files that I don't have anyplace else.

Boy... I'm gonna end up giving myself an ulcer before this is done [Smile]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.