Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » Legion Card Game (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Legion Card Game
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Does anyone know how Wizards (is that the name?) or any of those other character driven card games work? Seems to me that the Legion has plenty of characters to make a game work if we can hammer out rules of play.

Anyone up to inventing a game?

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Does anyone know how Wizards (is that the name?) or any of those other character driven card games work? Seems to me that the Legion has plenty of characters to make a game work if we can hammer out rules of play.

Anyone up to inventing a game?

I've played Magic: The Gathering (which is the one I think you mean), Overpower (both Marvel and DC), Legend of the 5 Rings, etc. You name the CCG and I've at least tried it out and have a deck of cards in storage.

If you want to come up with something I'd be more than glad to help you hammer something out. I would think basing it on Overpower would be easiest.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah yes, Magic, that was it. I have never played any of these games. How do they work in general?
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You have different options depending on the style of play you want. With M:TG you have manna, land cards which provide you with power to cast your spells. Then you have items, monsters, spells, counter-spells, etc. that you use in an attempt to deal 20 points of damage to your oppenent.

Overpower works like this: Each player chooses four heroes to go up against his or her opponent. Building a deck involves choosing which power cards will be used (Energy, Fighting, Strength, Intellect) and how powerful (1-8). Also, each hero has special cards that block, do special attacks or otherwise fiddle with the combat. Players take turns attacking opposing heroes or villains until the character has taken 20 points of damage or damage of 3 different types (energy, intellect, strength). Then that character is knocked out. The winner is the one who has the last hero standing.

The Legion would best work that way, I think. There are even some fan designed Legion Overpower cards (no actual cards or artwork, just the stats). You can see them here.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Here is a page that'll take you through the game, step by step.
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

OHHHH-kay. Well, having read through those rules, I must say that I am completely overwhelmed. I don;t even know where to begin.
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

On the whole, for a Legion game, I think I would prefer a system in which one would have to draw characters from a deck, rather than pick the characters they want to use. It would be fun to watch your opponent get stuck with something like Porcupine Pete, and suspenceful to not know if they are holding Double-Header or the Infinate Man
Amentep

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amentep   Email Amentep         Edit/Delete Post     
Well there are lots of different card games, it'd just be a matter of hammering out what you want, and how simple or complex you want it to be.

Something like Magic: The Gathering is pretty complex, something like SJG's Munchkin is pretty simple and fast to play.

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
This is a great idea! There are just so many ways to take gameplay... though I think Scott's suggestion of basing it on Overpower would probably be best, I think maybe basing it on Decipher's old Star Wars CCG might be just as good, since the Legion has SO many awesome planetary locations that could easily play a factor in the game.

I guess the first question needs to be, what is the goal of the game? In Magic and Overpower, the goal is to thrash your opponent soundly. However, in Star Trek's CCG (which I loved until it became WAY too complex) the goal was to score points by completing missions and objectives, which gave the entire game a very Star Trekish feel. Also, in the Lord of the Rings game, the goal is to get the ring from the beginning to the end, much like Frodo's goal. It works VERY well. I think the question needs to be, what would the goal of a Legion-based game be? Would it be just a fighting CCG, or could it be something greater?

Perhaps if each player started with a team of 3 Legionnaires...

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

I also think that having a goal rather than trashing your opponent would be best.

You could start out with a set amount of Legionnaires (say 3 to 5). Then you would draw for equipment, location and mission. Whoever was able to complete their mission first would be the winner.

I'd think that between all of us here we should be able to hammer out a pretty decent game.

Lightning Lad
Founder

To improve on what I just added, you would also draw out a villain whom you had to defeat as part of the mission completion. What would a Legion game be without a villain or two thrown in.

Your opponent could maybe cause his villain to go after your team.

Hmm, so many different ideas.

Kid Prime
Founder

In Star Trek, you have 6 planetary locations that you seed first. These double as locations AND as missions that you have to complete in order to get points. Now, considering thresholding, I don't see a need to have transport from place to place.

How about this... each player has a Legionnaire deck of 25 Legionnaires. You get to begin the game with 3 Legionnaires. This deck is separate from your draw deck.

Your draw deck consists of power-ups, villain cards, locations, and equipment cards. You play locations to gain control of them with your evil cards. Once you gain control of them, you begin to draw mana from them which you can use to buy cards from your hand. The opposing player has to attempt to gain control of the locations as well. (I know this is derivative of Star Wars CCG, but it's a good game mechanic.)

Now the question is, should one player play "good" and one player play "bad," or should both play good and bad (causing the game to unfold in two separate realities, as it were,) or should there be soem sort of cooperation/competition going on between both players' Legion teams?

--------------------

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

I think this depends on the number of players. I can see a dark side versus the light side in a two player game, with one person drawing from the LSV deck and the other the Legion deck.

But what about multi-player games? In those instances you should be able to change the good vs. bad into a mission completing game without having to change the mechanics.

Kid Prime
Founder

In that case, the cooperative aspect could work. Maybe if each player had a separate Legion team to work with, as well as providing obstacles for the other players in their draw deck. Of course, there would have to be some mechanic to ensure that no duplication would arise. Perhaps if each player revealed his/her Founders one at a time, and if anyone duplicated, they would have to discard and draw again?

This way, each player would have a separate Legion team to send on missions. Question is, what would be the victory conidions?

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

You could make each main Legionnaire an LE or rare so that each player couldn't have duplicates. Maybe say either 24 or 26 to keep it even (I know 25 is a key but it doesn't split unless you have 5 players). Also each player could sideboard, like in Magic, so that if you do have dupes on the pull you could easily replace them in your deck.

As for victory conditions I would still think that the player who successfully completes their mission first would be the winner. And insteead of drawing the mission out of the deck you can chose a mission (or two, one for each player) from a mission deck prior to playing. Then each player could customize their Legion decks so as to be able to draw a Legionnaire best suited for completing their mission. This would also, in theory, help keep duplicates out of each player's deck.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.