Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » TRIAD: only for serious mindbending! (Page 128)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  ...  125  126  127  128  129   
Author Topic: TRIAD: only for serious mindbending!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, then:

Mandrake the Magician
The Spirit
Captain Marvel

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
All three were ripped off by DC, in some manner? Zatara, Midnight, and the 50s lawsuit against Fawcett that led to DC having exclusine use of CM by the70s? Or even the early 70s Captain Thunder variant.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Midnight was actually by Quality, I believe, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a DC clone of the Spirit, since pretty much every other comic company had one.

Not what I was looking for, however.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Did they each have a sidekick which, in retrospect, is viewed as a racial caricature?

I know that Captain Marvel and the Spirit suffer this, but I'm not 100% on Mandrake. (I seem to recall a cartoon in the 80's that teamed Mandrake, the Phantom, Flash Gordon, and a fourth character that I think was African, so I'm thinking that might be an updated version of Mandrake's sidekick)

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

That's basically what I was going for.

The Spirit was often assisted by Ebony White and Captain Marvel by Steamboat, both of whom fall into the racial caricature category. For the record, I never thought Ebony was that bad, but have been pretty shocked reading some of the Captain Marvel stories recently.

Mandrake's crimefighting companion Lothar was an African prince who spoke in broken English for the first thirty years or so of his existence before being updated in the sixties to modern dress and fluency in the language. And, yeah, he was a main character in Defenders of the Earth.

Exnihil

Defenders of the Earth, yes! What a cool crossover idea. That was actually the first time I'd ever heard of Mandrake.

OK, how about:

Nathan Lane
Louise Lasser and
Matt Frewer

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Exnihil

No takers? OK... a hint:

If I had to sub in a different name into this Triad, I'm not sure whether it would be more appropriate to replace one of the above names, or two - the reason being that the only other names I can think of that fit this commonality are a set of twins.

--------------------

Exnihil

Hmm... this might be harder than I thought.

OK, clue number two... this being the second clue... and not at all a duplicate of the first:

The twins I was referring to in the previous post were Tia and Tamera Mowry.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
They... guest starred on the same episode of Saturday Night Live?

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xben
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xben   Author's Homepage   Email Xben         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm guessing that I have the answer after looking up Louise Lasser - a name I was familiar with but had no idea who she was.

They all starred in TV series whose titles were the same word or name or phrase repeated?

The twins starred in Sister Sister
Louise Lasser in Mary Hartman Mary Hartman
Matt Frewer in Doctor Doctor

I'm not actually familiar with the show for Lane, but that's my guess.

--------------------
LSH Archives Vol.3 • Part 2

The truth set me free

From: Perth, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Yep, you got it.

The Nathan Lane one was a show that I don't think I ever even saw, called "Encore Encore"

--------------------

Xben
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xben   Author's Homepage   Email Xben         Edit/Delete Post     
OK, how about...

Stargate Atlantis
The American President
Lost

--------------------

The truth set me free

From: Perth, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xben
Deputy

OK, small hint - the triad has nothing to do with anything external in the production at all. It's to do with something in-story in each movie / tv show.

--------------------

The truth set me free

Exnihil

Hmmm... never seen the first two, so this is just a wild guess:

Do they all have "acronym-ic" organizations associated with them, ala the D.H.A.R.M.A. Initiative?

--------------------

Xben
Deputy

Was Dharma an acronym? Anyway, no, that wasn't it. The connection had to do with something about characters from each show.

--------------------

The truth set me free

This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  ...  125  126  127  128  129   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.