Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Why them?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why them?
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've noticed recently that when it comes to picking my favourite character in a comic I usually choose the tough but classy types, often more one than the other, but usually with at least a hint of both.

When there's more than one character that's a favourite, I'll almost always pick near opposites. Real Ying-yang, flip side of the coin types like Vi and Brin in Legion or Seahn and Persha in The First.

So I'm wondering, has anyone else noticed a pattern when it comes to choosing their favourite characters?

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I have a tendency to go for one of three character types:

-- the #2 man: usually the strong silent type who's the main hero's right hand man. Partly cuz I grew up as a younger brother, I tend to like these guys. I've come to realize partly it's due to the fact that since he's lower on the totem pole, his motivations aren't explored as much as the lead person's so it's just assumed he's good and loyal -- his motivation is pure. He's also impressive for having earned his #2 spot as opposed to the hero where it's assumed.

I have a tendency to like guys who fall into that "loyal vassal" role -- knights, samurai etc...
Examples: Jason (G-Force), Soundwave and Prowl (Transformers), Warbow (Crystar), Ultra Boy (M'onel and Superboy being the #1 guys), Green Lantern Hal Jordan (with Superman being #1)

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Oops, I hit "post" a bit prematurely...
(oh yeah -- I'd add ABE SAPIEN to the above "#2 guy" list...)

anyhow the #2 type that I tend to identify with is:
THE OUTCAST -- Explanations probably aren't needed for that one. It's why I liked the X-Men when I was young, why Ferro with his hideous face and WILDFIRE with his "I'm no longer human" angst always appealed to me.

#3 Character type that attracts me:
The self-confident maverick: hey, it's part of the rebellious American spirit -- WILDFIRE, Hal Jordan Green Lantern with his fearlessness, The Question with his rigid morality amidst a corrupt and morally compromised society, Jason from G-Force again etc.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The hard luck super-heroes would be the type of character I usually chose. It all started with Garth. Gar Logan (Changeling) was another. Yeah he was a smart ass rich punk but he lost a lot of people close to him and I could identify with that.

I also tend to like the brainy ones who aren't super-strong. Like Brainy, Lyle and Condo. Guys who can out-think their opponents.

If there was a third type I liked, it would probably be the hero out of time. Like John Carter of Mars or Mike Grell's Warlord.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
The witty or devoted sidekick tends to appeal to me, as well. The archetype, here, being Sancho Panza to Don Quixote. Sometimes the top-billed hero needs a reality check or a slight distraction -- not a permanent diversion -- from his main focus, to keep matters perking.

Sidekicks provide that, along with their own skewed or less than straightforward take on the heroic ... and why not? They had the good sense to follow along with the hero in the first place.

As one current example, in Alan Moore's "Promethea," I've often been more intrigued by Stacia, the at-first-reluctant follower of modern Promethea avatar Sophie Bangs. And in recent issues, as that series approaches a close (26 so far out of 31 planned), Stacia has taken on many unexpected and delightful qualities of her own.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
Strong women: Saturn Girl, Dreamer and the Levitz versions of Sensor Girl and the White Witch in Legion (I hated Mysa in Vol. 4), Storm and Jean Grey in X-Men, Troia in Titans.
Why?
I haven't the faintest idea. Psychologist, please?

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I've noticed 2 trends--

1) Second and Third banana Babes. Infectious Lass, Polaris, Medusa, Black Widow, Red Gaurdian, Hellcat, Valkyrie, Clea, Black Canary, Liberty Belle, Lilith, the Duela Dent Harlequin, Bumblebee, Darkstar, Phantom Lady, Star Sapphire-- the list could go on and on.

2) Teleporters. Illyana Rasputin was my favorite New Mutant. U-Go Girl was fantastic. I cheered when Gates smacked the crap outta his captor and piggybacked on Brainy in The Legion # 4. What probably made the difference is that each of these characters was/is SOOOOOOO complex.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
2) Teleporters. Illyana Rasputin ...U-Go Girl ... Gates.

What, no Nightcrawler? [Wink] ... and what about that intergalactic rock star/ teleporter Lila Cheney (was that even her name? I'd be a little shocked if I actually remembered it after all these years)
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
NIGHTCRAWLER was a fantastic character, I just haven't had much exposure to him in years with the exception of the current EXILES arc. Which brings to mind another excellent teleporting character-- BLINK. And (a version of) Illyana Rasputin joined the cast a few months ago.

LILA CHENEY I was never super-impressed with. The whole "intergalactic rocker-babe" angle seemed a little cheesey to me. Although I do remember one story in NEW MUTANTS drawn by Butch Guice where Sam is going to bring Lila home to meet his parents. She shows up all punked out and Sam chivalrously doesn't show any hesitation. She then vanishes and reappears dressed all ladylike, stating that it was a test to see if Sam -really- liked/was proud of her for her, or something to that effect. The story made me like Sam Guthrie more than I already did. And did nothing to make me like Lila.

[ July 12, 2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm, I'm pretty neutral on Lila, myself, but to be fair: Sam did accuse her of stealing a statue she had made for Sam's mom. I can't really blame her for wanting to make sure that he had accepted her.

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
Jason from G-Force again etc.

A fellow G-2 fan? [Big Grin] Of course with me it goes back to that yin yang thing. This time with Jason and Princess. (I read a decent fanfic recently that described them as Mark's light and dark shadows, or something to that effect.)

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm... I like strong women (especially with a touch of intelligent sassiness) and strong, quiet and cute guys (not the most popular, brash, jock-types). These are also the type of people I am attracted to in real life.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
As a child, I was attracted to the powerhouses, particularly those who were also leaders, hence Mon-El in the Legion and Thor in Avengers. Both were strong enough to carry their own weight on solo adventures, yet they chose to be part of a team.

Yet my four other favorite Legionnaires were Lightning Lad, Invisible Kid, Chemical King and Sun Boy, each for wildly different reasons. It started with their powers, I'm sure. For some reason, their abilities were more attractive to me than those of other Legionnaires. But each also embodied a different personality aspect I could identify with. (Invisible Kid was the under-powered leader who would still brook no insubordination. Lightning Lad was the hard-luck hero who overcame a disability. Chemical King was the withdrawn, quiet type. Sun Boy was the popular, flashy kid who was nevertheless uncomfortable being leader.)

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.