Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Did anyone else geek out over Who's Who and OHOTMU?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did anyone else geek out over Who's Who and OHOTMU?
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
I certainly did.

I would read 'em cover to cover.

I remember being drawn to Gypsy Moth (in the deluxe OHOTMU - great picture), Polaris (in the first set) and Elasti-Girl. And being surprised by all the people who had been in the X-men. And seeing the various panels from different years for each character (and thinking some of the art was "weird").

I have the full set of MU, but not Who's Who. I specialize in the earlier part of the alphabet....

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've got a full set of the DC Who's Who and am missing only 1 or 2 of the updates. Then I have all but 2 (I think) of the binder, loose leaf version. I've got the initial full run of the Marvel but don't know if I have all the the follow up. I did buy the new hardback version of the Handbook and the X-Men follow up.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I loved OHOTMU (both editions plus the dead and inactive characters). It was cool to read the histories, see their stats and see which artist was going to draw the characters I liked. The technical drawings were also really cool despite some flimsy pseudo-science at times, but even that was still fun. I didn't get "Who's Who" because I wasn't much of a DC fan at the time.

I thought it was funny that OHOTMU listed most superheroes' occupation as "adventurer".

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This just reminded me that I just got in the mail today a 4 page spread from DC Who's Who #13. Its the production art with the color separation. The pages are Krona, The Losers, The Legion Headquaters and the Legion of Super-Pets. I know its not the original art (I never seem to have any luck on getting that kind of stuff) but it is still something that was used to produce the comic.

-

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
I've just recently acquired Vol. 16.

Bill Sienkiewicz drew Monsieur Mallah - that's a funky monkey!

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I LOVED both series and I'm the proud owner of all of them including the binder editions later on. My older copies are falling apart from over use.

In fact I own two sets of both The DCU Who's Who and the Legion version, since I bought them all over again out here on the West Coast. [Smile]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I LOVED both of 'em! When the Avengers fought the huge Masters of Evil it was fun to look up people like Moonstone and Dr. Druid, as well as on the DC side seeing people like Punch and Jewelee. I loved the commentary, history, and power profiles. On a RELATED note, I also loved the TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE put out by Marvel at roughly the same time (I'm sure no one is surprised, right?) I use it one of my references for my Transformers bios over at Kid Prime's Room (I really need to do another one of those!)

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i don't have any MARVEL ones, but i do own all of the "Who's Who" versions !!!

and i buy most of the newer "Secret Files & Origins" issues, even most of the characters that i don't usually read [ i like to know what's going on in the rest of the DC UNIVERSE .... ]

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I definitely got into these, especially the Marvel ones, since they had the more detailed character histories.

I'm looking forward to JLA-Z, even if it isn't in quite the same vein.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
I definitely got into these, especially the Marvel ones, since they had the more detailed character histories.

I'm looking forward to JLA-Z, even if it isn't in quite the same vein.

the JLA is a 3 part one, isn't it ??

also looking forward to the next LEGION one !!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Legion Secret Files should be great... and a good resource for anyone who comes on-board and needs information (of course they could just ask the people on this board...)

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
The second issue of OHOTMU is one of the first comics from my collecting days. You can almost trace the "seriousness" of my collecting by the shape the series is in. Issue 2 is pretty pulped, and by the Technology issue they're in progressively better shape. I pored over those books like they were the Dead Sea Scrolls. Who's Who was pretty good, but OHOTMU's attempts at quantifiying every last detail was fuel to my my little geek flames.

It certainly stinks that in today's market, the closest equivalent Marvel has are the pricey hardbacks. If I was a kid today I wouldn't have the $ to spend, although I guess kids today have a lot of internet resources to help them along.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't have any of the Who's Who (I wasn't "into" DC at that point), but I have most of the OHOTMU, and I read them from cover to cover until they started to fall apart.

I loved finding out about the obscure characters -- some of the most way-out characters actually had the best art, to boot. (I remember being tickled that one particular B-list villain, whose name was Graviton or something similar, was listed as having the strength of a human who engaged in no regular exercise, yet the drawing of him showed a middle-aged man who was busting out all over with muscles... guess those gravity powers were quite versatile...)

Also, I liked the covers with all the people running/crawling/flying from left to right with such purpose...

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
And all the Marvel Handbook Deluxe covers interlocked! The dumbest thing, though, was that they had Mister Fantastic's arm stretching from issue 11 or whatever, all the way to like, issue 17 or 18-- and all he was doing was grabbing onto the Wrecker's CROWBAR?! Rent a room, fellas! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
Totally geeked out on them. I have all issues of all versions, although the pull apart version of Marvel was not a favorite. I was huge into X-Men at the time, which was around the time they split into two books with Gold and Blue teams. I even drew Team shots so I could separate them all by teams.

I miss Who's Who so bad. Even the pull apart Who's Who was AWESOME. sigh.

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.