Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » What I'm buying (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What I'm buying
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Thought I might post my pre-order for October, just to see how it might compare to what titles others here are supporting

Dark Horse Comics
The Goon #3

DC Comics
JLA/Avengers #2
Batman #620
Catwoman #24
Cinnamon: El Ciclo #3
Dr. Fate #3
Formerly Known as the Justice League #4
Gotham Central #12
Human Defense Corps #6
H-E-R-O #9
JSA #53
JSA: All-Stars #6
Reign of the Zodiac #3
Superman & Batman: Generations III #10
Teen Titans #4
Teen Titans Swingin' Elseworlds Special
The Flash #203
The Legion #25
World's Best Comics DC Archives Sampler

DC/America's Best Comics
Terra Obscura #5
Smax #3
Promethia #28
Tom Strong #23

DC/Wildstorm
Arrowsmith #4

Image Comics
Age of Bronze #18
Liberty Meadows #34

Marvel Comics
1602 #3
Amazing Spider-Man #500
Fantastic Four #505

CrossGen Comics
El Cazador #2

Gemstone
Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #638
Walt Dinsey's Uncle Scrooge #323
Donald Duck and Friends #309
Mickey Mouse and Friends #258

Oni Press
Union Station

Random House
Fagin the Jew

TwoMorrows Publishing
Alter Ego #29

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember a time when I collected that many titles. Man, my list seems small now...

DC ----
JSA
Legion
Outsiders
Teen Titans -tentatively
Batman -until Loeb and Lee leave
Formerly Known as Justive League

Image ----
Micronauts
Plus they have a couple of fantasy based books that may look promising

Marvel ----
Avengers -based on Coipel's art
Exiles
New Mutants -on the fence
Ultimates
Inhumans -I'll be checking this out -at Lash's request- to see if it appeals to me.

CrossGen ----
Negation
Sojourn

Writing it down like this, man -I don't collect many at all anymore.

[ August 06, 2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Caleb ]

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Haven't bought anything in about two months thanks to a move, but most recently here's what I was picking up.

DC:
The Legion! [Lightning Lad] [Saturn Girl] [Cosmic Boy]

Marvel:
New X-Men
X-Treme X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Avengers (for Coipel art and John's writing)
New Mutants (an old favorite that I'm glad is back)

I had just recently dropped all of the Transformers Dreamwave comics, mostly from difficulty to keep-up and lack of interest despite my love for the show and toys.

I also was picking up Exiles for a bit to try it out from Austen's writing, which was incredibly below par. But the characters were engaging so I may pick it up with Winnick's return. I've also fallen in love with X-Statix since my last comic trip and have bought all the graphic novels online. I'm surprisingly a huge mutant junkie I guess, so that and the Legion is how I get my fix! [Cool]

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
DC
The Legion
Reign of the Zodiac
JSA
The Losers
Batman
Birds of Prey (tentative)

Marvel
The Ultimates
The Avengers
Iron Man
The Crew (tentative)
Captain Marvel
X-Men
Alias
Daredevil

Other
Cerebus
Anything Hellboy
Private Beach

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't placed my October preorder yet-- DCBS should update in a day or so-- but here's my September order:

DC(/Wildstorm/ABC)
BATMAN ADVENTURES #6
BIRDS OF PREY #59
DOCTOR FATE #2
EMPIRE #3
FORMERLY KNOWN AS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE #3
GREEN ARROW #30
HAWKMAN #19
JSA #52
JSA ALL STARS #5
LEGION #24
NIGHTWING #85
OUTSIDERS #4
SUPERMAN & BATMAN GENERATIONS III #9
TEEN TITANS #3
LOBO UNBOUND #4(ONLY for the AB app.!)
ARROWSMITH #3
SMAX #2
TERRA OBSCURA #4

RISING STARS UNTOUCHABLE #1

MARVEL
JLA/AVENGERS #1
AVENGERS #71
AVENGERS #72
CAPTAIN MARVEL #14
INHUMANS #5
NEW MUTANTS #5
EXILES #33
X-STATIX #13
X-STATIX #14

CROSSGEN
BRATH #8
CRUX #30
EL CAZADOR #1
FIRST #35
MERIDIAN #40
PATH #19
NEGATION #22
SCION #40
RUSE #24
SILKEN GHOST #5
WAY OF THE RAT #17
SOLUS #7
SOJOURN #27
CROSSOVERS #9

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm guessing the following would be on my October list. I don't pre-order, just have a standing hold at the CBS I go to.

DC Comics
Action Comics
Superman/Batman
Superman: Birthright
Adventures of Superman
Superman
The Demon: Driven Out
Aquaman
JLA-Z
Green Arrow
JLA/Avengers
Batman
Formerly Known as the Justice League
JLA
JSA
Reign of the Zodiac
Superman & Batman: Generations III
The Legion
Terra Obscura

Marvel Comics
1602 #3
Ultimates (assuming an issue that month)
Ultimate X-Men
Exiles
Fantastic Four (maybe, if Waid's gone so am I)
Avengers (maybe, not sure I'm sticking with it)

CrossGen Comics
Sojourn
Lady Death

Other
Nodwick
Dork Towers
Knights of the Dinner Table

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estimate Lad
Substitute Poster

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Estimate Lad   Email Estimate Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Let's see...

DC
Legion
JSA
JSA All Stars
Formerly Known As (although my shop forgot to put #1 aside from me...grrr)
Teen Titans
Hawkman
Birds of Prey

Other DC type stuff
The Authority
League of Extraordinary Gents
The Filth

Others
New X-Men
Jack Staff

I tried New Mutants but it didn't really gel for me and I'll probably pick up The Reign Of The Zodiac.

From: Kernow | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
Other
Cerebus
Anything Hellboy
Private Beach

How is Cerebus these days? It's getting pretty close to the end, isn't it? I used to follow it, but lost my interest eventually.

Oh yeah, all I buy is the Legion these days.

[ August 06, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: matlock ]

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I havent placed my October order yet either, I think I am going to go with DCBS as well, so I am waiting for their site to update...

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i don't place an order or have a pull list !!

i just go to my comic store each THURSDAY afternoon and buy what came out on that day !!

i usually get between 2 - 5 issues each week ....

this is my current buy:

DC Comics

Aquaman
Batman
Birds of Prey
Green Lantern
Formally Known as the Justice League
Hero
JSA
JSA: All Stars
Smallville
Superman
Superman: Birthright
The Legion
The Flash
The Outsiders
Wonder Woman
Teen Titans

Marvel Comics

Avengers

and upcoming .... Superman / Batman and the crossover JLA / Avengers !!!

i actually buy more comics now !!! than i have ever done !!!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Thought I might post my pre-order for October, just to see how it might compare to what titles others here are supporting

Teen Titans Swingin' Elseworlds Special

This just in, courtest of The Pulse.

quote:
Hi All,
I just learned from editor Steve Wacker this morning that the TEEN TITANS SWINGIN' ELSEWORLDS one shot, recently solicited for October, has been cancelled.
Steve tells me Dan Didio and co. decided that the success of the new Titans series shouldn't be jeopardized by our 'weird' story, written by Teen Titans CREATOR Bob Haney. Apparently, the art (pencilled by myself, inked by Doc Allred, and coloured by Laura Allred, with a stunning cover by original Titans artist Nick Cardy) passed muster, but the bigwigs were just too uncomfortable with the story to let it run.
When I speculated that the 48 page books' clear anti-war statement might have something to do with DC's sudden squeamishness, Steve assured me it wasn't so. Ditto on the fact that former President John F. Kennedy appears alongside the Titans, which immediately brought to mind pal Doc Allred's recent troubles with another publisher regarding the late Princess Diana. It was insisted that the shelving of the book was strictly due to it being 'weird' and running contrary to the efforts of the regular Titans monthly. I was told the book was 'uncommercial' despite the fact that a Teen Titans comic will never sell more than right now while the name is hotter than it's ever been. That a successful series ought to kill tie-in product is news to me.

I'm extremely disappointed to see my inaugural long-form pencilling job at DC go down the drain, but I couldn't possibly be as upset as Mr. Haney must be. The creator of the team that's bringing in so much money for DC at the moment can't even get one lousy comic book published. DC let Haney got unceremoniously once before, so I guess the old guy's used to it.

--Jay Stephens

When contacted for a comment on this, a spokesperson for DC said the special, “had not been cancelled and is just postponed for a while.” Reasons for this were not supplied to THE PULSE.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Huhn. Reminds me of Marbel's cancellation of X-MEN:The Hidden Years, in spite of solid sales, because it didn't fit in with their "new, improved" direction... [Frown] Sometimes TPTB are clueless, no matter where you go.

I'm of a mind to order this anyway, and hopefully the preorder numbers will leave DC with egg on its face. [Razz] [Mad]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
When contacted for a comment on this, a spokesperson for DC said the special, “had not been cancelled and is just postponed for a while.”

I was pretty bummed to read this today. But, my question is, will DC resolicit the book whenever they do decide to release it? I mean, how long exactly is "a while?"

I'd cut the book from my order now, but fear that this is the order that will count. But if I do order, and it never comes out...? To make the decision even more dicey, I am actually over budget ($100 after 15% discount) but about the price of this book. And staying under budget does tend to keep peace in the family.

Concerning the book itself, though, I have to wonder why DC decided the book was "too weird" at this late date? They couldn't reach that decision before it was solicited? I mean, had no one read the script?

:::sigh:::
[Roll Eyes]

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
DC Comics
JLA/Avengers
Batman
Dr. Fate
Formerly Known as the Justice League
H-E-R-O
JSA
Teen Titans
The Legion

DC/America's Best Comics
Smax

DC/Wildstorm
Arrowsmith

Marvel Comics
X-Statix

CrossGen Comics
Way of the Rat

Gemstone
Walt Disney's Comics & Stories
Walt Dinsey's Uncle Scrooge
Donald Duck and Friends
(at $6.96 each, they're expensive! -- I only buy if there's a Don Rosa story I don't already have)

Other
Tony Digerolamo's Travelers (very funny, especially if you've ever been into RPGs!)

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
DC
The Legion
Reign of the Zodiac (maybe)

Top Cow
Battle of the Planets (At least until the manga style version starts. How the devil do you do a manga style version of BOTP, anyway? It already ) is manga!)

CrossGen
The First

Marvel
New Mutants [Big Grin]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.