Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » X-Men Evolution "Impact"

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: X-Men Evolution "Impact"
Ian Lad
No-so-special Guest Star

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So, did anybody see this episode? Does anybody here see the show at all? In any case, here's my overview/rave.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Wow, just wow. This episode firmly cements X-Men: Evolution as one of the best comic book adaptations to the silver screen. Apocalypse has risen, and mutants start dropping like flies.
First of all, Magneto goes out with a bang, with a sequence that was OFF THE HOOK, and easily one of the best looking sequences in American animation. But that's nothing compared to Mystique. Lets just say she bites the dust in more ways than one, and that it was matricide (hint: it wasn't the fuzzy one that did it). In any case, it looks permanent, and the way it was executed (on the WB, no less, the last place you'd expect this) makes it one of the most tragic deaths I've ever seen and one which will have huge consequences. Plus, add some villain development and you have the almost perfect episode.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, X-Men: Evo is how a Legion show should be made. It's daring, has about twenty well developed characters, is not afraid to play with the source material, excellent stories, a sense of humor, and excellent villains.

Any thoughts?

Edited for grammar

[ August 30, 2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Vodka Gobalsky ]

From: San Juan, Puerto Rico | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Caroline and I were able to catch this episode and were just shocked. We could not believe the level of animation and what happened during the story. I'm with you. This definitely surpasses any other Saturday morning cartoon put out by anyone and is the absolute best comic to small screen adaption around. Makes the new Spider-Man on MTV look amateurish.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree. It was great (especially that LAST sequence... WOW!!!) and I'm now hooked on Saturday mornings for good. I especially like seeing all the New Mutants running around everywhere.

Folks, for everyone who LOVES the X-Men of the 70's and 80's, X-Men Evolution is the new standardbearer.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
Mystique dead? wow...damn...is there a way that she could be brought back somehow?
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I missed this show -- are they going to rerun it on Cartoon Network?
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
I missed this show -- are they going to rerun it on Cartoon Network?

Eventually but I don't know when. It isn't on their scheduled through September 15 and Comics Continuum just posted the schedule for October and it isn't on that schedule either.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Lad
No-so-special Guest Star

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
Mystique dead? wow...damn...is there a way that she could be brought back somehow?

Not bloody likely, unlike Magnus, who is most likely not really dead. Getting turned into a stone statue and then shattered isn't something you just walk away from, unless you're Emma Frost. And even then, Emma had control of her powers, something Mistique didn't have. A previous switcheroo is unlikely, what with all the scans they made of the statue and all and I don't think they'd go for a ressurection on the WB (they did go for a death, so I may be wrong there).
From: San Juan, Puerto Rico | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I've only caught one episode this season (the one with Magma). I missed the first episode because I was under the impression that I could just watch it Sunday night after Teen Titans on Cartoon Network (Evolution was on, but it was an old episode [Frown] ). Then I caught the Magma episode, but missed the last episode because I moved my vcr and forgot to reset the timer [Frown]

Well, there's always reruns (I hope).

In any case, I love Evolution. Every episode it a winner, I think. The animation is among the best out there, and the writing gives a fresh spin on comic book characters that have gotten rather stale in their own books. This is the X-Men as it should be, I think.

Maybe they'll reboot the comic books...

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't get to see the latest ep, but I am a confirmed Evo fan. It lets me stay connected to the X-franchise (which was one of my first loves, comics-wise) in a way that I don't think the comics ever will again. I've found myself frequently creeping back down the stairs to watch the CN reruns at night, after things have settled down for the night.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.