Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Comic Book Idol

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comic Book Idol
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Have any of you been watching the Comic Book Idol contest going on over at Comic Book Resources? Here's a link to the contest.

Its been pretty interesting to watch the art submitted and to see how it conforms with the assignment. Some of the critiques, by vets in the industry, have been decent if not brutal ala American Idol.

My current favorite is Patrick Scherberger. Although I do think he turned in a pretty poor piece of panel work for the latest round.

And Dean, if you read this, did you think of trying out? I would have loved to have seen you in this competition.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I hadn't heard of this -- those are some four very different art styles to be sure. Since they're so varied, I imagine style will play into the voting decisions more than storytelling ability or skills in the fundamentals. They all seem fairly solid though from what I can tell from the one page samples (I'll keep my critiques to myself [Wink] ).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well its down to two now and its the two I picked to go on. I really liked Jonathan Hickman's Iron Man page so I'm glad he made it to the finals. The next assignment is a three page spread, due Monday. This is kinda cool. Finaly an Idol show I can care about.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

The final round art is in and the decision will be made soon who gets the top prize. The prize being a story on The Path, a CrossGen book.

First, a look at Jonathan Hickman's 3 pages:

-

You can view a larger version of each page at these links: Page One Page Two Page Three

I think Jonathan did pretty damn good. Not the best though, but definitely someone we may be seeing working as a pro some time soon. He has a definite style and while it is a bit unusual I do like it.

To me, the clear winner is Patrick Scherberger. Here's a look at his 3 pages with links to larger images:

-  -  -

Page One Page Two Page Three

Patrick just has it down right to the smallest details. Sure he may not be drawing at the pro level yet but what pro was when they first started? Look at the attention he gave to the little things. The final panel on page 3 in particular.

I believe that the winner will be announced this Thursday. Either way, I'll be picking up the issue of The Path that the winner will be drawing.

Computo
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Computo   Email Computo         Edit/Delete Post     
That's nice artwork. These guys are amateurs? Amazing.

Hickman's stuff looks like it could be in Heavy Metal (although perhaps that's just the colouring). Scherberger's art seems to have a Perez influence.

Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
No kidding. Both artists are extremely talented for amateurs. I think it would be great if both ended up with something out of this gig.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Computo
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Computo   Email Computo         Edit/Delete Post     
Me too. I like these sort of competitions. There is something quite admirable about giving an amateur a leg-up in the business. Jim Lee did something similar through the Wildstorm website, where he critiqued some new talent on their submissions.
Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Well the winner has been announced and it was really no surprise. At least to myself as I have been following the competition since the first week.

Go here to CBR and find out who won and what his prizes are. One of the books he'll be working on is already on my hold list so I'll just have to make sure and request the other when its released.

And I still say our Sketch Lad (Dean) should enter the next competition, should there be another.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.