Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Rodriguez Plans to Bring 'Madman' to Screen

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rodriguez Plans to Bring 'Madman' to Screen
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
From Zap2It:

quote:
Rodriguez Plans to Bring 'Madmen' to Screen
By Vanessa Sibbald
September 8, 2003

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - With the current craze for comic book adaptations, it's only natural that Robert Rodriguez would want to get in on the action.

Although some might argue that his "Spy Kids" movies are already comicbook-ish -- and, by the way, Rodriguez wouldn't disagree -- the "El Mariachi" director is still planning to bring Mike Allred's classic "Madmen" comics to the big screen.

"'Madmen' is a really funny comic because you could kind of spoof comic book movies and do a really great one all at the same time," Rodriguez tells Zap2it. "I think it would really catch on and be funny and fun."

Rodriguez, who just finished "Once Upon a Time in Mexico," is currently working on a CG animated film, which he "can't talk about." In addition, he says he has a thriller waiting in the wings that he will probably helm later this year -- but he is thinking that he will direct "Madmen" next year.

"I optioned the rights years ago and I've had them all this time," he adds. "The whole time that I was optioning the rights, I'm looking at what I was making -- the 'Spy Kids' movies -- and the guys are in jet packs and all these dumb guys  it's very much like what he's doing in 'Madmen.' We have very similar taste as far as not wanting to do something too reality based because it's like, why? It's like shooting a documentary."

As for who he would cast as the comic book hero, that's also top secret.

"I can't say, but I do have somebody in mind," he smiles.

[ September 10, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
SOME editing... I can't believe this saw print with such a glaring error. Allred does MadMAN, am I right? [Roll Eyes]

Still, I'd give this a look... which is more than I can say for X2, DD and HULK... [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I edited the title, taken from the article, but left the rest as the author wrote it. Maybe they aren't speaking of the the comic but of Rodriguez working with some insane actors in an upcoming film?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
[Big Grin] Heh...

Oh, I wasn't referring to anything you did,
Scott-- news sites are infamous for their atrocious editing, as Grey will tell you. [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

I know that Pov. I just felt stupid I didn't proof the title at least. And I've seen Grey's comments on the poor editing at CBR many a time. Especially on Arune's interviews.

[edit note: didn't proof read myself.  - ]

[ September 10, 2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I just wonder who had the balls to call Allred's Madman "classic". I mean , I like the character and all, but he's hardly "classic". I have a hard time imagining a Madman film that adheres to Allred's sensibilities as a successful film.

It'll be interesting to see what Rodriguez does to the property to mainstream it (will Frank (Madman) rip out some guy's eyeball and eat it like he did in the comic? Doubtful -- but then I lost interest in the book when he started acting less "mad")

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
oh...thought you were talking about Blue Beetle's foe - Madmen...never mind.
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.