Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Vertigo Title Review (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Vertigo Title Review
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
In recent years, I've come to really love the Vertigo titles, although usually I miss out on them until they're all in trades, and then reread them! Not any longer I say, so I've decided to pick up a bunch of Vertigo titles and add them to my already massive comics list of all the Marvel, DC and Crossgen titles!

This thread is for reviewing the latest Vertigo titles to come out! However, I currently don't get Hellblazer or Lucifer, although I really want to hear what you have to say about them! So Lucien, Faraway and others who pick these up, let me know how things are going! I've read the first two Lucifer trades and found the series to be extremely interesting, and Carey's writing to be really, really good! I plan to get arond to getting all of them. I've never actually read a Hellblazer comic though, and want to know how they are. Is is hard to get into, now that it's on issue #200 almost? Has the series always been good? Who else is reading it and how long have you been?

FYI, I've read and loved all the Sandman and Preacher stories, absolutely love the first Books of Magic story and am currently reading Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing in my spare time (I consider it the beginning of Vertigo).

For recent Vertigo titles, I say this:

Fables- Absolutely excellent, one of the best ten comics out. Amazing writing, great art and really interesting and well-developed characters. Price Charming is a loveable bastard rouge, Bigby Wolf is great, Snow White steals the show every once in awhile, and the writers are good for introducing another really cool 'fable' ever few issues. The lastest issue does Cinderella, and turned out to be really cool with a few interesting twists!

Y: the Last Man- Another really excellent title, one of the best on the market. Very eerie with a creepy atmosphere, with great characters and characterization. I like the art a lot too, and I love humor (very Vertigo-esque humor) and the social commentary that fills ever issue. The lastest issue was the craziest and most human IMO, with some deep characterization of Yorick, and a disturbing sequence of sexual torture. The sequence won't be like you think however, it totally took me in a different direction than the one I thought was planned.

My Faith in Frankie- A very, very cool book, and I reccomend it to anyone! Very cute in a Vertigo kind of way, with great dialogue and story from Mike Carey (I've got to really start reading more of this guy's work!). I really like the art in this book too, and I've already fallen in love with the main character, Frankie. A love story with deities and dead boyfriends, and a really interesting twist mid-way through #2!

All three books are superb right now, and better than most DC mainstream or Marvel books! I highly reccomend them. Next up, I'll review the Human Target (I picked up issue 1) and the new Swamp Thing title when it comes out.

Tell me what you think! Give me reviews of Lucifer and Hellblazer! Remenince (sp?) about the good ol' days of Sandman or Preacher!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

As with all threads that get no replies, the original poster must now assume that everyone hates him [Wink]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I would have thought what they did to your statue would have been a clue. [Big Grin]

Actually, I don't read any Vertigo titles. Only read a few trades of Sandman but didn't enjoy them enough to become a fan.

I've read the first trades of Fables and Y and, again, just didn't do it for me. The ideas behind both were great but the story-telling and art work just weren't enough to keep me buying.

Maybe I'll download both series and try again.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I hear you Scooter, it took me a long time to come around to Vertigo, and then one, I just couldn't get enough (it was Preacher that ultimately did it for me)!
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I generally stay away from Vertigo because I try not purposely expose myself to dirty words and explicit sexual conversation (yet I still read these boards) but I have fallen in love with Fables. The whole "Who is the Adversary" mystery has me hooked. I think it's either Santa Claus or Walt Disney. What do you think, CK?
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I know, I love Fables too! The "Who is the Adversary" mystery has me hooked too, although I never thought of Santa Claus as the bad guy before!

Whoa, what a theory! I can't believe I didn't consider it, it makes sense in a way, especially if Santa has "convinced" the world that he's good. I had thought about Walt Disney, but I'm not sure. I honestly can't think of a better theory than Santa right now.

I'm totally hooked on the book! I love Bigby, Snow, Prince Charming, and the other falbes who've only appeared a few times.

Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't really take credit for the Santa Claus theory since I saw it somewhere else. i twould seem to make sense, though, as he's about the most celebrated fable in existence around the world today (or at least in the U.S.). I haven't read all of teh issues yet, but I think the fables get their strength from "Mundies" who tell stories about them. Isn't that why Snow was able to recover so quickly from the head wound she got in Animal Farm? Anyway, can't wait for the new TPB to come out so I can continue catching up on the series.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Is it possible that The Adversary could be be one, or both of, The Brothers Grimm?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I've really liked the last two issues of Human Target -- but a lot of that might have to do with Cliff Chiang's art, which I love. I hope he's now the regular artist, because as long as he does the art, I'll continue to pick up this title...
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm... since CODENAME: KNOCKOUT was cancelled, I don't collect any Vertigo monthlies.

I do however own the first FABLES tpb and liked it-- a lot. I'll be collecting this series in tpb format.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The fact that the Vertigo books are available in TPB format makes it so much easier and more fun to collect them! While I enjoy buying the regular issues of Y and Fables, my entire Preacher collection is in TPB format, which made it so much easier for me to get into the series (it's nice to be able to read six or twelve issues at your own pace without having to wait for the next issue).

I just read The Human Target #1 last night--WOW. What a very well written and interesting story with incredible art. I haven't picked up the other issues yet, but Javier Pulido in issue one knocked me for a loop! I love that style of art (a la Darwyn Cooke and Mike Allfred), especially when it's used for a serious comic. The story itself was fascinating and one of the best written I've read in awhile. Great characters, great twists and amazing psychological insight. I haven't read too much by Peter Milligan, but this was absolutely superb! I'm definately picking up two and three this weekend, and then hoping to get to four and give to be caught up. (I still have to pick up the early issues of Y and Fables, although I've already read all the Y's.)

I do plan on picking up the new Swamp Thing comic too. And has anyone bought Thessaly? I liked her a lot as a character in Sandman, but the budget for last week didn't leave me room for it. I'm not sure if I'm going to grab it yet.

Cobie's recomendation: buy the Human Target! Along with Y and Fables!

*also* eagerly awaiting to hear YOUR reviews on Vertigo titles, and Bevis and Faraway's comment on the latest issues of Lucifer and Hellblazer (if they buy it)!

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Fables is my favourite Vertigo title, one of my favourite comics. Willingham did Coventry (3 issues) which I don't think was nearly as good, and Proposition Player (which was fun) but has really hit his stride with Fables.

Others I get regularly are 100 Bullets (bummer reality book) and The Losers (bummer CIA book) - they're good, interesting - but if I decide to cut something, they're out. I used to get Y: The Last Man, but just found it too slow-paced and thin a story.

Transmetropolitan just turned me off completely. Maybe I read the wrong book. It struck me as sophomoric.

Sandman Endless Nights was great! Very exotic art and Gaiman stories.

Was LXG a Vertigo book? I enjoyed that quite a bit.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

FC, LXG was an homage book from Wildstorm, and I loved it too! Some of Moore's best work in recent years IMO, and I really got into his use of the five main characters (although I grew to hate the Invisible Man and Mr. Hyde, esepcially after what Hyde did in the final issues of vol. 2). I really hope that Moore does more with this series, I was convinced that he was going to try and bring in Sherlock Holmes to the team.

I haven't picked up Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets or the Losers yet, I'm still a bit weary of all of them. Maybe though, if there are more recommendations.

Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
I can't really take credit for the Santa Claus theory since I saw it somewhere else. i twould seem to make sense, though, as he's about the most celebrated fable in existence around the world today (or at least in the U.S.). I haven't read all of teh issues yet, but I think the fables get their strength from "Mundies" who tell stories about them. Isn't that why Snow was able to recover so quickly from the head wound she got in Animal Farm? Anyway, can't wait for the new TPB to come out so I can continue catching up on the series.

Picking up on this earlier comment. I think I read somewhere a comment that the adversary was Gepetto (sp?) Pinocchio’s “father”. Driven mad by his inability to repeat the success he slaved away until he was able to find a way to bring his carvings to life. These are the three in sun glasses we see trying to beat up jack. It came back to me on a second reading when they refer to the fables as “meat”. An apt phrase if they themselves were wood.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
and Cobie, I have had a very hectic weekend and although I picked up the latest Lucifer I have not yet read it. once i have I'll let you know what I think

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.