Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Vertigo Title Review (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Vertigo Title Review
Igee The Mighty
Legion Lover

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igee The Mighty   Author's Homepage   Email Igee The Mighty         Edit/Delete Post     
I echo your sentiment CK! Get Y-The Last Man & Fables! These are 2 fantastic books!

FC, I actually thought that Y was moving at a fairly fast pace. I thought Vaughn would stretch out Hero's role as an Amazon (sorta like "Will Yorick ever know his sister Hero's part of the group hunting him down?", but instead he let it bubble early on and that relationship is still brewing (sorry if this is wrong, i only have the 2 trades to go on).

If this was a Bendis book, we'd proabaly be 23 issues in and we'd still be at the white House lawn where the congressmens' wives are talking their spleens out explaining why they should be given their husbands' seats.

On-track, what made you decide it was moving slowly? Just wanna pick your brain here...and not meaning to slight.

--------------------
Igee The Mighty!

From: Manila, The Philippines | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Just off the top of my head (since the issues I have were exiled to the cellar), there seemed to be a sameness to the stories - Yorick and his "minders" advancing across country, encountering diverse groups of females. A few shoot-outs, the monkey goes missing, a very vaguely budding romance... I didn't get the sense of much drama for what should be a very dramatic story.

The astronauts sub-plot was interesting, but I felt it dragged over too many issues - suspense is nice, but when you're reading the monthlies, it's too much of a gap between developments. The sister story started out strong, then fell into the background.... Why wasn't the Culper Ring (the secret society) developed? I felt the more interesting stories were taking too long to resolve. Also, I found the art a bit flat - not bad, just dull.

I read the first trade and was very enthusiastic - it was a very different experience from the succeeding individual issues - so I suspect I would have enjoyed it more as a trades-only book.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igee The Mighty
Legion Lover

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igee The Mighty   Author's Homepage   Email Igee The Mighty         Edit/Delete Post     
For the record, I did get them in trades, so I don't know if your experience was due to getting it in singles. But since the cliffhangers were happening every issue, perhaps the month-long wait kinda dampened it for you.

Based on the UNMANNED & CYCLES tpbs, it looks like we'll have "episodes" happen to Yorick et al on their journey on a fairly regular basis. That and some extraneous factors kicking in (like the astronauts).

I think the art was fairly flat as well, though I must admit to a certian liking for less detailed work recently, what with all the Gary Franks, Michael Turners and Jim Lees currently dominating the story. I'm thinking perhaps a new colorist can add some depth/dimension to the art.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate your perspective.

--------------------
Igee The Mighty!

From: Manila, The Philippines | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Another thought on Vertigo - not mine - the owner of my CBS suggested that there should be a Vertigo omnibus, or something - like Shonen Jump (I think that's the one that features selections of a variety of titles). It would be a way of giving more people exposure to a wide variety of different titles each month, then they could pursue the ones that caught their interest. The publisher could also try out different concepts on a limited basis without the investment of effort and $$ that a series would take.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd very much like something like that. I think the Vertigo books are amazing, I wish they had more exposure!

And like I said earlier, sometimes the trades is the way to go for Vertigo. Some books, like Preacher, are just so much more fun to read that way.

New reviews:

Human Target 4-7: WOW. Wow. WOW! This is one of the best books on the market, and I now have it in my top five favorite books out right now. I think this might be Vertigo's current prize book. The writing is unbelievable good--both deep and poignant, with excellent dialogue and interesting pacing. The art is unbelievable too, I just love the Darwyn Cooke/Mike Allfred style. Peter Milligan is one hell of a writer, that's for sure. In just seven issues, he's had me thinking again in ways I haven't while reading comics in quite some time. Great stuff, very well-written.

My Faith in Frankie #2- I love this book! Don't know if I've reviewed it yet (to lazy to check page one), but I still recommend this to people!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
More info on Human Target? What's the premise? I've been reading Cooke's "New Frontiers" and just think he does both art and story telling a great justice.

Fables: picked up the first TBP and been getting single issues ever since. Tons of story and art for your money.

If they've done the rest of the TPB like the first, with that little extra art or story, TPB is definitely a great way to read Fables. The one downer for me is the sex and gore rating. I can't really recall a single issue that benefitted from it. Perhaps Willingham just writes better when he doesn't have to drive around his demons?

Y-Man: Great premise and the first few arcs would great, but then it just got so slow.

They lost me about the time the astronauts landed.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Blockade Boy, here is a link on the premise of Human Target, since I don't think I can do it justice: here

It's about a guy, Christopher Chance, who impersonates people when they are in danger (thus, he's a Human Target). But it's about oh-so much more than that! So far, we've had insight into the notion of taking on the identity of another human being, 9/11, steriods in baseball, the idea of losing your personality, and so many more abstract concepts that if I try to explain them, I will make them seem dumb.

It's really good stuff, I'd say even better than Fables, which I love!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, Cobie, did you get a chance to check out the latest Fables? Good stuff.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bedlam Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bedlam Lad   Email Bedlam Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I checked it out!

The mystery thickens! What are Hugh, Lou and Drew? Who is the Adverisary? What is Red really? What is Bigby about to find?

This series is great! I can't believe I have to wait another month to the next issue!

--------------------
"And afros for EVERYONE!"

-Gail Simone

From: Bradford, UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bedlam Lad:
I checked it out!

The mystery thickens! What are Hugh, Lou and Drew? Who is the Adverisary? What is Red really? What is Bigby about to find?

This series is great! I can't believe I have to wait another month to the next issue!

It's fun isn't it, Bedlam? Hugh, Lou and Drew = Huey, Dewey, and Louie? Adversery = Geppetto? Is Red any one of the Wicked Witches that often inhabit fairy tales? Notice what she wanted to eat. This is really good stuff.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I plan to pick it up Sunday! You guys have got me craving it even more than usual now!
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
LOVED the latest issue of Fables!

Which was a huge relief as I had *HATED* last month's issue SO much that, even though its been one of my top 5 books ever since it began, I was totally about to drop this series. I am so against the unlawful entrapment and then murder of an obviously emotionally/mentally damaged Ichabod Crane by Bigby and Cinderella *for a crime he never even actually comitted* that I'm just going to pretend that that issue never happened!

Anyway, thank God this issue is good. The plot has seriously thickened hasn't it!

*SPOILERS*

- Gepetto obviously has something to do with it now, doesn't he? Or is it the Blue Fairy? Someone with a connection to Pinnochio anyway. I think Gepetto has been enslaved by, or maybe just voluntarily joined up with, the Adversary and is making wooden soldiers such as Hugh, Drew and Lou for him. I don't see him actually being the Adversary. He just doesn't have that air of menace and threat that I'm expecting the Adversary to have.

- Red Riding Hood. Who is she really? Some type of witch obviously. But which one? Have we seen Hansel and Gretel's witch yet? (Come to think of it have we even seen them yet?) I'm guessing she's that one anyway.

- Beauty and the Beast. I don't know why but these two are possibly my two favourite characters in the comic. (Why is it my curse to always favour the characters that occupy the fringes of a series? RIP Gim Allon!) Looks like they might be getting some good face-time coming up though. I really hope, and fully expect, that Snow White and Bigby *do* lose their jobs to them. Bill Willingham has never been afraid to shake up the status quo on this series and it makes for great reading!

So much going on here. Can't wait for the next issue!

Is it just me or is Vertigo doing some really good stuff at the moment?

- Fables I love!
- Y The Last Man, I'd also love to get into but finding early back-issues that aren't too expensive is impossible and I've never been a TPB person.
- The Losers
&
- Human Target, I just bought yesterday nearly full runs of both these series (missing #s 2 and 3 of The Losers) and all 4 issues of the preceding Human Target mini-series. Both look great and can't wait to start reading them.

And then there's the new Swamp Thing series coming out! At a time when I should be cutting back on my comics its just getting harder and harder to do it. Maybe I'll just start weaning myself off the regular DCU stuff. I find I'm getting more and more dissatisfied with the decisions being made there lately anyway. Changing Firestorm and re-booting the Doom Patrol being the two latest examples.

I read most DCU comics because they have a shared universe and therefore by necessity need to have a fairly strict continuity. But the way some fans and editors seem to have turned that into a dirty word, its probably going to be better for my blood pressure if I just let them go and concentrate on Vertigo where most of the worlds are self-contained.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I read The Losers Monthly. It's like an action flick on paper. Fun stuff.

I will be reading Swamp Thing, at least for a while to see where it goes.

I read Fables as trades, but may switch to monthly if finances allow it...but it's hard to give up on the 1/2 price trades at my local B&N.

I've read Y: The Last Man through issue 17. Will be getting that in trades as soon as the finances clear a little.

I read the Human Target mini (got all four issues for a dollar at a con) and am thinking about checking out the first trade when it hits.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bedlam Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bedlam Lad   Email Bedlam Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
Adversery = Geppetto?

Nah, I think it's the great and powerful wizard of Oz myself.

After all, didn't the Adversery's conquest begin at the Emerald City? And in the books, the Wizard wasn't above manipulating people to get what he wants.

--------------------
"And afros for EVERYONE!"

-Gail Simone

From: Bradford, UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Wish I could find the article I read earlier this week that talked about who the Adversary really was. It seems that DC has agreed to who the Adversary really is based on the script 'bible' being used to prepare a feature film.

The rumor was the Adversary, prior to this agreement, was going to be revealed as being Peter Pan. Now it probably won't be but the article did say we will find out who he/she/it is within, IIRC, the next year's worth of books.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.