Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Vertigo Title Review (Page 23)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Vertigo Title Review
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Re: Unwritten

very good but ... a bit too heavy on the literature nerd aspect ... and I wish they were a bit more abstract on the Harry Potter correlation ... I find it heavy handed.

but ... when not showing off how smart it is I really enjoy it when it runs with the ball ... like it is now.

Unwritten is a little awkward to me because comics are already metaphorical (literally good versus evil) and then to change it and have these characters exploring their situation inside the metaphor ... is awkward.

hmm that's just me, I buy it so obviously I like it but, I feel annoyed by it sometimes.

(sorry don't mean to be a buzzkill)

[ March 28, 2012, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I also recently read the first 2 vols. of 100 Bullets, which I bought for half price during a sale my CBS had about two months ago.

The premise, if you're unfamiliar, revolves around a mysterious guy named Agent Graves approaching average joes, giving them irrefutable evidence of someone's culpability for something bad that happened to the joes and then giving them a gun with untraceable bullets to get their revenge if they so choose. But even across the two trades, you learn that there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than that simple set-up which revolves around Graves' motives and an organization called the Trust.

It's a pretty gripping crime series with very appropriate, stylized art by Eduardo Risso. I can see already how writer Brian Azzarello earned his rep on this book even if it didn't always work on all of his other projects.

I'd say that so far it's not as great of a crime book as Criminal or Scalped, but this is definitely a series I'll be buying further trades of. I initially bought the first issue or two when it first came out, but didn't continue. The initial 3-issue storyline is pretty good, but you kinda get lost in all the urban slang in a way that can turn you off. But it gets much better from there, and you learn to appreciate the initial arc for what it was in that it had so much to set up for the series.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Reposted, in case Mr. Cobaltus missed this at the bottom of the previous page....

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Fans of the Unwritten are probably like me right now and flipping over the awesomeness that is coming these next few months. We got a taste of it with the latest issue, as Tommy & company start getting real answers for the first time all series. The 3+ year build-up actually works to great effect here because I'm anxiously awaiting each little tidbit that Carey delivers, and so far he's not letting me down on the promise of more info.

Plus, seeing Tommy start coming into his own in his understanding of the magic is also nice to see.

quote:
Unwritten has now entered a phase where I think its reaching the heights of other past Vertigo greats, such as Sandman, Y: the Last Man, Fables and others. The most recent issues have been so fantastic that the series has gradually rose to the top of my reading pile each month.

Carey & Gross are weaving an incredibly complex series here. I think perhaps only Sandman the level of depth that Unwritten has, in terms of analyzing the idea of 'stories'.

quote:
^ At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll reiterate again how damn good Unwritten has gotten in the last few months. It's suddenly emerged as a comic I want at the very top of my pile every month.

Awright, Awright, Aw-effin'-RIGHT, already! I finally read that first Unwritten trade I've been sitting on for nearly two years last week......and I thought it was very good!

A good foundation was set up in the opening arc for the mystery and mythology swirling around Tom Taylor and his world. I can see enough in those issues alone to set up years worth of stories. Then, issue 5, which rounds out the trade, shows potential for even more stories beyond that with its focus on Rudyard Kipling and how his story ties into the larger mythology the book is bringing across.

Basically, it was an entertaining read in and of itself, but i can just see that the best is yet to come. That's a recipe for a great series and one that Vertigo has particularly excelled with over countless successful books it's put out over the decades. (It doesn't hurt either that the artist is Peter Gross, btw.)

So, yeah, I'll be picking up subsequent trades very soon and will likely continue to collect the series as such for the foreseeable future.

So...LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE ABOUT UNWRITTEN, ALREADY, COBIE!!! [Wink]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
^ [LOL]

Totally missed that, as you surmised!

Glad you enjoyed it! I think you'll continue to enjoy as it goes forward, and I suspect it reads even better in trades. It stays very good for quite awhile and then around #30 just gets so freaking good it hurts.

I'll leave you alone for 6 months and then start pestering you for a read / review of the next trade. Like I should be doing with Scalped. [Embarrassed]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Lardie, I ended up with an extra copy of the fifth trade of UNWRITTEN, collecting 25 thru 30... let me know when you're ready for it and you can PM me where I can mail it...

I'm looking forward to seeing how the next trades are put together... I saw from the previews that Carey was very ambitious in his storytelling, what with two concurrent stories running each month over last summer(?)... the main story and a separate yet related narrative in the ".5" issues. Have I got that right, Des? Didn't that start with #31, and where exactly does it stop?

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

You have it right and it ended up being genius. The .5 issues were each a revelation while the main story picked up steam--and them BAM!!, it all came together in a fantastic way.

I was actually a bit skeptical when I heard about it, but I was quickly proven wrong.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
As far as other Vertigo books, I'm trying out the 4 "new" Vertigo titles-- Saucer Country, Fairest, The New Deadwardians and Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child-- thanks to DCBS' 75% 0ff bundle. I'm perfectly willing to pay coverprice for FAIREST, so I'm really getting the rest for free... [shrug] If any of them are good, it's a win/win. [Smile]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
You have it right and it ended up being genius. The .5 issues were each a revelation while the main story picked up steam--and them BAM!!, it all came together in a fantastic way.

I was actually a bit skeptical when I heard about it, but I was quickly proven wrong.

COOL. [Cool] Can't wait to get the trade. [Smile]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Did anyone pick up New Deadwardians? Although the premise sounds terrific, a coupla flip-thrus at the store didn't impress me enough to pick it up. Hopefully, someone who's actually read it can give a clear picture for us....

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^ did same exact thing as you. And actually was curious if anyone grabbed it.

(I also passed on Voodoo Child.)

And after considering Saucer County #2 for awhile, I put it back on the shelf. #1 was good (not great but good) but I just wasn't feeling excited enough to continue with the next issue. Perhaps I'll be swayed.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up the New Deadwardians ...

I'm in for number 2 but it better get damn good by number 2 and/or 3.

I liked the art, the set up seemed like some mish mash of things i've read/seen before ... which is ok 'cause it's still in my interest ...

There is a cliffhanger ending, which didn't quite effect me as much as it should have because I didn't fall in love with the main character or story. I need some more back story or story in general before I care that this world is knocked topsy turvy.

Anyway, I enjoyed it, was worth the cash but like I said ... it better get good really quick .. especially with it's current competition.

I would rate it well above Fairest. (IMO) fairly above Saucer Country ... about on par with IZombie ... and trailing Unwritten. (even before Unwritten picked up the can of whup ass that has been the last few issues)

Except there's not a lot of fresh in the New Deadwardians .. in premise or characters ... the setting is fairly interesting ... an alternative history ... but it will take a talented scribe to fulfill that potential. (this so far seems more like a movie IMO ala sherlock holmes or abraham lincoln vampire hunter ... )

You know what #1 reminded me of .... A PILOT ... for tv ... where it has to spend a bunch of time setting the scene and introducing ... usually I think tv pilots or a mess or thrown in everything and the kitchen sink and the following season can't compete with it's pilot.

New Deadwardians #1 was ok. it definitely ticks all the boxes of a good comic book but just didn't excite me with anything wow worthy. it's still kinda cool though.

[ April 12, 2012, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I did also get Voodoo Child ... and I barely remember it ...

It is well below any of the comics I mentioned above ... it hardly seems professional even. Which is disappointing because the writer is supposed to be a good writer.

art is 90s esque. the plot .... jumps the fricking orca whale ... so that i had a hard time seeing how the main character got from point a to point b.

In fact, i'd say Voodoo Child is ... bad.

-----------------------------------------

not so sure about getting sauer country 2 myself ... i thought it was allright despite average art ... but i thought the explanation of the whole mystery in the first issue was ... pretty average. I was hoping we would have to figure out what happened to her and what was ging on over the course of the series ... and at the end of issue one i felt like i knew everything i wanted to know about the book, and didnt care about the things i didnt know.

i'll probably flip through #2 on the stands and put in back on the shelf.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
I also recently read the first 2 vols. of 100 Bullets, which I bought for half price during a sale my CBS had about two months ago.

The premise, if you're unfamiliar, revolves around a mysterious guy named Agent Graves approaching average joes, giving them irrefutable evidence of someone's culpability for something bad that happened to the joes and then giving them a gun with untraceable bullets to get their revenge if they so choose. But even across the two trades, you learn that there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than that simple set-up which revolves around Graves' motives and an organization called the Trust.

It's a pretty gripping crime series with very appropriate, stylized art by Eduardo Risso. I can see already how writer Brian Azzarello earned his rep on this book even if it didn't always work on all of his other projects.

I'd say that so far it's not as great of a crime book as Criminal or Scalped, but this is definitely a series I'll be buying further trades of. I initially bought the first issue or two when it first came out, but didn't continue. The initial 3-issue storyline is pretty good, but you kinda get lost in all the urban slang in a way that can turn you off. But it gets much better from there, and you learn to appreciate the initial arc for what it was in that it had so much to set up for the series.

I recently picked up trades one and two and ... i'd echo what you said ... I am much more interested in the major players than each issue's story .. but I can see the snowball building.

and there's a lot of hook and mystery that has me wanting more. my enjoyment of this comic built as i read issues.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I also picked up the first two trades of Unknown Soldier a while ago, I thought they were good enough to read but I think they were just too dark and depressing for me, the main character is a bit too conflicted to keep me interested ... and the book is really about dragging you into his mental illness and turmoil .... pretty well done just not my cup of tea right now.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
I picked up the New Deadwardians ...

I'm in for number 2 but it better get damn good by number 2 and/or 3.

I liked the art, the set up seemed like some mish mash of things i've read/seen before ... which is ok 'cause it's still in my interest ...

There is a cliffhanger ending, which didn't quite effect me as much as it should have because I didn't fall in love with the main character or story. I need some more back story or story in general before I care that this world is knocked topsy turvy.

Anyway, I enjoyed it, was worth the cash but like I said ... it better get good really quick .. especially with it's current competition.

I would rate it well above Fairest. (IMO) fairly above Saucer Country ... about on par with IZombie ... and trailing Unwritten. (even before Unwritten picked up the can of whup ass that has been the last few issues)

Except there's not a lot of fresh in the New Deadwardians .. in premise or characters ... the setting is fairly interesting ... an alternative history ... but it will take a talented scribe to fulfill that potential. (this so far seems more like a movie IMO ala sherlock holmes or abraham lincoln vampire hunter ... )

You know what #1 reminded me of .... A PILOT ... for tv ... where it has to spend a bunch of time setting the scene and introducing ... usually I think tv pilots or a mess or thrown in everything and the kitchen sink and the following season can't compete with it's pilot.

New Deadwardians #1 was ok. it definitely ticks all the boxes of a good comic book but just didn't excite me with anything wow worthy. it's still kinda cool though.

Thanks for the review, Peebz! Between your mostly-positive review and this glowing 4 and a half star review I found on CBR, I think I may give it a chance. It makes sense that a Victorian zombie/vampire mash-up might work with it being in a more subdued style than normal for those genres.

--------------------

This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.