Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Vertigo Title Review (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Vertigo Title Review
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
READ DMZ

For that matter, read anything written by Brian Wood. Local or Supermarket are also out recently. But I digress.

DMZ is a lost in New York type story where several states (including New Jersey) have seceded from the United States. US army is in Westchester and the Free States army is in Jersey. Manhattan is the DMZ between them.

Though its obvious theres a lot of political societal commentary on the real world in there the characters and the landscape of destroyed Manhattan are really interesting. Oh we're following the story of Matt, a Jimmy Olsen type rookie reporter who's stranded in NYC in the first issue.

I think its up to issue 5 right now and a Vol 1 trade should be coming within the next month.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
Fables keeps knockin' my socks off, but Y has gotten kinda slow. I'll stick with Y though, b/c I really do like the characters. I decided to try Denise Mina on Hellblazer, and its been nice so far... a base hit: not a home run, but not a strike-out either.

With respect to the new crop of titles:

1. DMZ: Did NOT grab me during the first few issues. But the most recent storyline caught my attention in a big way, and I am enjoying it. Maybe the first arc was too much set-up for me, but it seems to be cookin' now.

2. American Virgin: 3 issues in, and I have no idea where it is going, and I mean that in a good way. And I love Cloonan's art. I am excited by this series.

3. Testament: Started out strong, but has lost me the past couple of issues. Too many gods in the background, although I enjoy reading about the 'real world' characters.

4. Exterminators: Thought this started out badly, lotsa profanity, not enough of an idea of what the series is supposed to be about. With Issue 5, however, something kicked into high gear (it really might be about the protagnists dealing with a mutant strain of roaches, which wasn't at all clear to me at the beginning of the series), and - as of last ish - I am very interested to see where it is heading.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Just reread the entire Sandman Mystery Theatre series from the earlier days of Vertigo...one of the best series ever.

I highly recommend picking up the trades that are available.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I picked up ‘Our Army @ Love’ the other day. It was…weird. But it seemed pretty good with some very crude satire and insight. I’m not sure if its *too much* for me to sex up the War in Iraq this much, even if it has a strong message underneath (which is assuredly does). Just might not be my cup of tea.

Anyone see this or have thoughts?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
This is condemnation without reading, but I find the idea of book sort of distasteful, maybe because I read the preview pages after reading some articles about sexual abuse in the forces. Maybe if they had set it in a fictitious war? - but we'd naturally draw the parallels with the current conflicts.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I did read it and I found it distasteful. I don't even know what they were trying to say on first reading.

I do enjoy Vertigo's two other war series that are ongoing at the moment "DMZ" and "The Other Side" and also the recent "Pride of Baghdad GN". It's clear what they're saying but they do it with much more respect.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I picked up Young Liars on a whim, and it was actually quite good. Only #1 issue into it and I really like the set-up so far. The two main characters are very likeable while the other four are extremely unlikeable, but I'm sure as the series goes on they'll all shift.

A very interesting set-up, a lot going on (which is a must have for me these days) and a great sense of foreboding and excitement in what's to come. I reccomend and will at least check it out for the time being.

With Y: the Last Man over, I'm basically only collecting Fables (which is in another thread) and now have picked this up. Anyone reading anything else Vertigo?

Vertigo still remains the most authentic and 'you know what you're getting' company on the market. I pretty much consider it a 100% different entity than DC comics and praise Paul Levitz for ensuring DC can't get its hands on anything Vertigo.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I was getting Azzarello's Loveless until the original artist, Marcello Frusin, left the book... I tried to continue with it but couldn't get into the following artists. It was especially jarring because Frusin kept doing the covers following his run on interiors... [sigh]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Picked up House of Mystery #1. A good, solid first issue that will get me to come back. It began a little slow for my tastes but gave me just the right super-weird/crazy story I was hoping for in the middle.

And man was that weird. So weird it just awesome.

Bill Willingham can do no wrong these days it appears.

Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Haven't filled the Y:The Last Man void yet. Picked up a Luna Brothers book that I liked
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
The final Y trade will be in my mid-June shipment... [sigh]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Seriously, you guys should read the HoM book. It has a woman having sex with a fly. A woman having sex with a fly. For the first time in awhile I stopped reading and thought "wow, I don't think I've ever seen that at all before. I've got to tell my brother."
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, Young Liars is continually interesting and completely insane over the top. I hardly know all that is going on but I'm enjoying that fact.

There are also several very intense, downright creepy, scenes each issue. The writer does an excellent job combining humor and the seriousness of violence, even over the top uber-comic book violence.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So I've added several Vertigo titles to my weekly list. I'm going to keep updating this thread as I review them but two stick out in my mind (Fables has its own thread, and Young Liars I've reviewed elsewhere but will probably do again here at some point).

The Unknown Soldier - I love the concept of the Unknown Soldier, so the idea of a relaunch with another Soldier initially put me off--enough that I didn't give #1 a try. But in my attempt to diversify my readings, I gave the first two issues a try at one read. AND WOW. This...this is excellent. Powerful. And ruthless to the reader. Thus far, the Unknown Soldier has provided a dynamic, intriguing and edge of your seat pacing that has immediately drawn me right in. It takes place in Ugunda, which should say a ton to anyone familiar with it: this is not an easy comic to read. Its probably the most brutal comic I've read that isn't being brutal for the sake of being brutal; its not outright gor, but just the horror of the entire situation. I generally dislike comic books attempting to use the African political problems as a story line, because they never seem to get it right, but this works here. Its not preachy or giving answers, its just providing a realistic, unflinching background. And the new Unknown Soldier is a very interesting and complicated character thus far. I like it.

Madame Xanadu - I grabbed this too and quickly filled up the back issues (its up to about #6 now). Yet another stellar surprise by Vertigo. Totally catching me off guard, I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. It reminds me of Sandman in the usage of historical settings and intricate yet fun plots. The art is nothing short of fantastic. Madame Xanadu, who I've always liked but never have *loved* is really intresting here, and its fun to learn about her long life. I was very hesitant about the use of the Phantom Stranger here, but so far I've enjoyed it. It reminds me a bit of "The Time Traveler's Wife" which is probably my favorite love story I've read / seen / heard about in the last 15 years of my life.

So yeah, I'd say Vertigo is kicking ass right now. In addition to these two, I'm reading Young Liars, Fables and just picked up the Haunted Tank (but haven't read that one yet).

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobalt, you irredeemable sunnuvabitch! You're not reading Scalped--possibly, one of the very best monthlies being published right now? Getcher ass over to your CBS and buy/order the first trade, "Indian Country"! Now!!!

You'll hate yourself forever (hell, it may already be to late! [Razz] ) if you wait more than another week to pick it up! A history buff like you needs to read this to see how it sheds light on the injustices done to Native Americans from a modern perspective!

Plus, it's got an Indian mob boss and the badass protagonist uses nunchuks! And, yes, there's BOOBIES!!!

Best Vertigo title since Y: The Last Man without being anything like it! And no fantasy, scifi or supernatural elements!!! (okay, maybe a spirit walk or two...)

Vertigo's flag-bearers: Sandman, Preacher, Fables, Y...and now, Scalped. It's THAT good!
So why are you still reading this post?!?! Go out and pick it the hell up!!!!!

[Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.