Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
So what's turning you on in 2004 so far?

Mine, in no particular order:

INHUMANS -- Only 3 issues left, so my top 5 will have an open slot soon. Still digging this book, see the "Why you should read the INHUMANS" thread floating around here for why.

TEEN TITANS -- Yep, good stuff, and McKone's art has gotten SO hot! So much happening in this title, it's unbelievable!

OUTSIDERS -- YOU heard me. Not reading this? MAN are you missing out on a LOT of fun!!

SUPREME POWER -- This book can do no wrong storywise or artwise. Warning: Not for the impatient or fans of "Wham! Bam!" action.

JSA -- 'Black Reign' and Geoff's SHAMELESS fanboy pandering catapults this title back into my top 5. Fury's back! Lyta, I've missed you so! I swear, if Geoff were gay, I'd track him down and **** his **** out of sheer gratitude!

FALLING OUT OF THE TOP 5

X-STATIX -- I'm wondering if the title needs a bit of an overhaul. Just a little one. I'm probably going to get that, since the last arc killed off so many members. Yep, new blood needed.

THE LEGION -- I'm just not "feeling" it lately.

CONTENDERS FOR THE TOP 5

BIRDS OF PREY -- Bless Gail Simone & Ed Benes! This title is so HOT it's on fire!!!

JLA -- Depending on Claremont & Byrne's upcoming arc that is rumoured to be a springboard for Byrne's rumoured new DOOM PATROL series...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Great topic Lash! Here's mine:

Daredevil- Marvel's best comic IMO, better than even Supreme Power and Amazing Spider-man, which I love.

JSA- this title is just so much fun to read, that I can't get enough of it.

Flash- this is DC's flagship and best Super-hero comic right now IMO, I love what Geoff has done with the Rogues, Wally's supporting cast and the city of Keystone itself. Despite the 'darkness' of the last few issues, I eagerly await for the next few stories.

Supreme Power- see Lash's post. And excellent comic, I can't get enough of it.

The Human Target- yes, it's that good. Holey Moley, I was blown away by the first three issues! I can't believe that this title hasn't gotten any press lately, it's so damn good!

Other Top Contenders:

Negation- read it. Best sci-fi title on the market.

Fables-lots of fun, but very intense and with great and 'kewl' characterization.

Amazing Spider-man- the best this title has been in YEARS. MJ, Aunt May and Peter are written so good, that I can't get enough. I really feel like I'm ten years old reading this and loving it.

Superman/Batman- Great characterization of Bats and Supes, and a lot of fun to read too. Although the ending of the last arc wasn't to everyone's taste, the title is still a head above most of the competition.

Catwoman- consistently one of the best comics since the relauch. Great art, great dialogue, characterization and stories. Selena and her supporting cast are incredible.

Gotham Knights- the best crime/cop comic/series that I've ever read or watched. Excellent characterization and stories, each issue is gripping and powerful. I mean it. This is the most under-rated comic on the market, even if it's part of the Bat-family.

BoP- like Lash said, so hot it's on fire. Possibly the best art in any comic right now (including Lee and Perez), with fun characterization and extremely likeable characters, especially the Huntress and Shiva.

*the Legion is pretty good right now, but it really just can't compare to any of these IMO. These are the cream of the crop in the industry right now, at least out of what I'm reading.*

[ February 28, 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The 5 books I want to read as soon as I get them (alphabetical order):

Fables
Love Fights
Queen & Country
Rex Mundi
Sleeper

I would add Legion, but I've usually read the spoilers before the comic arrives.

Others would be contenders, if not on the list, if they came out more frequently: A Distant Soil, Strangehaven and the Strangers in Paradise trades.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
Top 5

JSA: This title makes me glad I still read comics Lyta is Back and I hope we see more of her and THE Black Reign storyline rocked!!!!!!

Outsiders: I so wanted to hate this book but somewhere I learned to love Nightwing rocks and Thunder and Grace are amazing new characters, Plus I get to see lots of Jade!!!

Exiles: My fave of the X-books, I was ready to drop the book when Austen came on board but the last storyline rocked!!!!!

Teen Titans: This book just keeps getting better and Rose Wilson looks freakin' hotttt!!!!!

Wildguard: I never knew a comic could be so fun I hope we get a regular monthly dose of this title!!!!

Snce Wildguard is almost over then Birds of Prey will occupy the number 5 spot, If your not reading this book you should be!!!!

[ February 28, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: icefire ]

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Negation
Supreme Power
Teen Titans (been reading it electronically and just added it to my holds)
The Walking Dead (great zombie book)
The Legion (just barely)

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You guys are keeping me busy. I've downloaded the entire runs of Alias, Lucifer, Wildcats Version 3.0, Fables and New Mutants so far this weekend. I've also grabbed all of Planetary (and read it), Batman: The Long Halloween, Authority V.1, Powers, and The Outsiders in the last week. Counting my Legion books I've got over 30 gigs of comics saved up now. Major reading building up on paper and electronically.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
#1 Supreme Power
Powers
Hellboy (whenever stuff comes out)
JSA
The Legion

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I keep hearing good stuff from you guys about WILDGUARD.

How many issues is it so far? Is it a limited deal? A team or solo book?
I remember hearing great stuff about NEGATION ages ago but am hesitant to get involved with/start loving an independent title that will surely fade away... (I'm still smarting from INNOVATION's implosion that took away HERO ALLIANCE, the best independent team book ever!!)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
My top 5

JSA - Johns continues to provide excellent stories. I have to admit, this is the title he excels on (Titans too). Lyta's back but have we lost Rick? I'm very excited about the story potential right now.

HERO - This book continues to be excellent. If you havent read it, you should.

Teen Titans - Another book that Johns has hit his stride on. I was concerned about the roster when it was first announced, but so far I'm impressed. Just wish Lilith and Donna were around.

Surpreme Power - others have said it better than I.

Superman/Batman - I'm really surprised at how much I enjoy this. The story arcs really seem to mean something and arent just fluff.

Others:
Legion: It's OK right now, but I agree with Lash. I'm not feeling it right now.

Avengers: This book hasnt excited me since Busiek left. Hopefully that will change soon. I hear big changes are coming...

Fallen ANgel - This book provides a solid read. But it's not one I highly anticipate.

Hawkeye - THis is another solid read from Nicieza. Very strong start.

Rose & Thorn - Great psychological drama!

The rest of the stuff I buy is just kinda "there" right now. Many are going through transitions:

Flash _ Howard Porter is coming aboard - Hopefully, I will start enjoying this again. I really didn't care for the post Zoom issues that we have seen so far.

Green Lantern - i will be picking up for Marz's new arc.

Hawkman - Another title undergoing a new creative team - Right now, Im taking a wait and see approach.

JLA - I'm looking forward to the Byrne/Claremont arc. After that, I'm not sure. JLA has been pretty spotty lately.

Outsiders - This is a book that I don't want to like. I have to admit, I don't care for any of the NEW characters. However, the writing is good and that alone hascaused me to sporadically pick up an issue here and there.

Wonder WOman - eh...

The Pulse - The first issue was good. Let's see if it continues...

New Titles Im about to start picking up.
The Superman relaunch I will try this.

Alpha Flight - ditto. Although it doesn't sound all that promising.

XMen Reload - I will pick this up just to see who ends up where. Then we will see.

[ February 29, 2004, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: Danny Blaine ]

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
OH I forgot about Identity Crisis! Thats another one im excited about!

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
Erm. I don't buy that many, and when I first saw this thread I forgot all about what I'm reading - which is perhaps a sign I'm wasting my money. Yikes! Anyway, some comics I like are:

Legion

Gotham Central (brilliant writing and art)

Catwoman (my favourite title until Paul Gulacy took over the art and made it all t and a. Grrr.)

Hero (nice and offbeat, it does its own thing which is cool...)

The Pulse (early days - its just been one issue - but I'm intrigued with the possibilities of this)

(Rose and Thorn is a good possibility for the top 5 too, I'm loving how Gail Simone is portraying the whole split personality thing...)

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The numbers only indicate the titles as they come to me; ranking them would change from month-to-month.

1. JSA-- I thought the plot twists in BLACK REIGN were brilliant... one of the few times I've actually enjoyed weekly installments of a series (usually, they come across as rushed and/or padded). I was sorry to see the new Eclipso killed (if he really was...) and I don't like Al as a Black Adam flunky...

... but boy, did the reveal of what was inside Brainwave's head surprise and delight me! I hope that leads to more story as the series progresses.

2. FLASH: Now that Wally knows that he's Flash again, I'm enjoying this series. I felt distanced from the characters and story during the last few issues, but that distance is gone, now. What's coming up seems interesting.

3. LEGION: I wouldn't let a slightly stale ending to a 6-parter deflate my interest. The beginning of FOUNDATIONS was delightful-- I'm hoping for a return to form before complete creative flip-flops. I'm somewhat worried about the lack of an (announced, official) ongoing team, as I think multiple creative teams could wreck the book without strong editorial control.

4. UNCANNY X-MEN: A guilty pleasure, and believe me, I know lots of folk despise Chuck Austen, and have hated recent plots... but I really like the characters making up the current cast (well, the mutant cast, at least), even with sometimes lackluster writing. I wish this group could stay intact during the upcoming team shuffle, no matter who the creators are.

5. WONDER WOMAN: I *like* Rucka's take on the gods of Olympus. They wore chitons/tunics during Greek times-- why wouldn't they change their dress as time passes? The fact that they didn't change styles in other eras is more unbelievable than them now wearing suits, leather jackets and turtlenecks.

Still, Wonder Woman as preacher isn't the most exciting vehicle for the character.

A couple of other comics I love that don't come out frequently enough to make any 'favorite' lists are AGE OF BRONZE and A DISTANT SOIL. Beautiful black and white art and detailed storytelling in each book. If only some creator would write/draw a comic about Alexander the Great and one about a young Julis Caesar with the same focus and passion Eric Shanower invests in AGE OF BRONZE, I'd be in historical fiction-lover's heaven. And Colleen Doran's DISTANT SOIL is wonderful combination of space opera and fantasy-- a tricky combo that always trips my trigger when done well.

Some CUSP-RIDERS:

TITANS and OUTSIDERS: good writing in each, but I STILL can't forgive the deaths of Donna Troy and Lilith. I'm not sure if Jericho should be added to that list, so I'm leery of TITANS, a bit.

But I can't deny they're energetic, fun reads that seem to mostly respect (jury's still out on Jericho) the chararacters in the respective titles (except for the Tattooed Man and the Brotherhood of Evil-- what's up with that, Judd Winick?)

NEGATION-- I loved this title, but somehow missed picking up the last couple of issues, so I'm out of the loop. I HOPE it doesn't go the way of other Crossgen titles, as it really is a good match for Legion fans-- the series began with several characters that seemed to me to be homages to various Legionnaires.

INHUMANS-- I think completely dropping the royal family from the ongoing story helped sink this ship. The kids should've maintained the focus, but the 'old' characters shouldn't have been ignored. Perhaps there weren't enough 'super hero' trappings? Each issue was a joy, though-- the overall trend seemed a bit lacking.

EYE ON: AVENGERS, GREEN LANTERN, NIGHTWING all could jump to the top 5 at any time, since they have characters I like. Looking forward to ALPHA FLIGHT, the X-'reload' and the JLA creative changes.

TN

[ February 29, 2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
Lash, Wildguard is one of the best series I have read in a long long time it was a mini and I can't wait to see how it ends Definetly worth picking up if you can find it!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
JSA - "Black Reign" has put it back on top.

Gotham Central - Best Bat-book on the stands.

Fables - I've run out of adjectives to describe how great this is.

Rex Mundi - great alternate history drama/mystery stuff.

Outsiders - I like the portrayal of Nightwing here better than in his own book.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
from my current list of 19 books i'm buying each month:

DC

Action Comics
Adventures of Superman
Birds of Prey
Green Lantern
Hawkman
Hero
JSA
Outsiders
Smallville
Superman
Superman / Batman
Teen Titans
The Legion
The Flash
Wonder Woman

Marvel
Avengers

Limited Series
Superman: Birthright
Superman: Secret Identity
Rose & Thorn

i would say my TOP 5 would have to be the books i would read first !!!

so 1 would ALWAYS be the LEGION even if i don't think it's the best it's been in a while ....

1. The Legion

2. Teen Titans

3. Superman / Batman

4. JSA

5. Superman: Birthright

the runners up are Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman, Hawkman and i'm enjoying the current Superman books !!!

looking forward to Jim Lee's run on SUPERMAN and the new IDENTITY CRISIS and i'll check out the FIRESTORM ongoing ....

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.