Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles
Ian Lad
No-so-special Guest Star

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
In no particular order:

The Outsiders. Stock superheroing with some great dialogue, characters, and art. Bonus points for using the DC Universe's past without becoming its bitch.

Fallen Angel. Love love love. I love the new universe Peter David has created here. I love the hints. I love the art.

Birds of Prey. Read Outsiders recaplet.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Lotsa interesting stuff going on in this one. Splinter is dead, Mike and Don, both have new jobs, Raph has been bitten by pseudovampires, and Leo and The Foot investigate a man from a dimension where Al Gore is president. Oh, and April finds out the weirdness of her origins, even if the readers don't. Finally, the four page letter column (I know you're jealous) and more Segway madness from Peter Laird.

New X-Men-Waiting for the last TPB. I'm seriously going to miss Morrison, and can't understand what Marvel is trying to do with the reload. And I LIKED Magneto on drugs!

From: San Juan, Puerto Rico | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Bad:
In no particular order:

The Outsiders. Stock superheroing with some great dialogue, characters, and art. Bonus points for using the DC Universe's past without becoming its bitch.

What a great (and totally accurate) review of OUTSIDERS!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Legion - C'mon, gotta stay loyal to Legion! Even if I don't like a story, I've been able to rely on the art for a few years now...
Runaways - Beautiful art and awesome premise. Dialogue is usually really funny too.
Teen Titans - I never really followed Titans but I'm like the new series a lot.
Ultimate X-Men - Consistently better quality than X-Treme and Uncanny X-Men.
New X-Men - Irregardless of the quality fluxuation, I am eternally an Xwhore, especially to Morrison's run.

From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I'm only reading three titles, but:

1. New Mutants (soon to be New X-Men) -- great story telling with an excellent mix of old and new characters. The art's been unfotunatley week, but with Randy Green taking over (and Emma Frost and Dust joining the cast) things are reallly looking up for this title.

2. Birds of Prey -- I just started reading this, I'm not sure why I like it yet, but I certainly do. [Smile] I'm not quite as enamoured with the art as others here are, a little to, um, chesty, for my taste, but it doesn't take away from the book.

3. Legion -- It's not that the tilles bad right now, but it feels like it's treading water. The story's just not going anywhere right now. The art's great though and after reading BoP I'm really looking forward to Gail Simone's take on the team.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Legion - as I'm not overly offended by decompressed storytelling and a more modern style of art, Legion has been less annoying for me that it's apparently been for some... [Wink]

Powers - erratic shipping schedules can't disrupt my enjoyment of this title. Even since the fall of Top Ten, there's not been a comic that I really liked that makes good use of the 'super-powered policing' high concept.

Planetary - If absence makes the heart grow fonder, there are a lot of Planetary fans out there who are very very very fond of Planetary. Take a look at a world where pulp fiction meets science fiction meets comic fiction; you won't be disappointed.

Wildcats v3.0 - The superheroics of the boardroom... with a splash of salacious deviousness thrown in for good measure. Wildcats v1 showed superheroes in a war, v2 showed the shellshocked survivors and what they did when they realised the war was over, and v3 takes the conflict to a completely different arena. Any comic that can cripple a gunslinger (Grifter) for over a year and still keep him amazingly interesting is a good book, IMO.

Ultimate Fantastic Four - Again, I don't mind my stories taking a few issues, so I'm finding this comic wonderful. If however, you'd like to see the FF get their powers and blast off on their first mission over a couple of pages, stay very far away. [Wink]

Honourable Mentions to:
B.P.R.D./Hellboy - if it was Mignola's art and shipping a bit more regularly, it'd be definite Top 5 material.
Flash - the return of Howie P! Yay!
Global Frequency - slick, diverse, mind-expanding, classy.
Marvel 1602 - unfortunately coming to an end.
Supreme Power - a slow build that will hopefully avoid the limbo-ish fate of Rising Stars.
Teen Titans - hmmmm. If only there were more YJ influences, and less 80's Titans ones. [Wink]
Ultimate X-Men - always quality, but strangely hollow in recent issues.
Ultimates - pull your finger out, Bryan! [Wink]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I forgot to add that NYX is pretty cool, most cause of the art but also cause of the character tied to X-Men Evolution that they revealed in the last issue. Josh Middleton is an awesome artist (I met and talked to him for a bit at San Diego last year) and it'll be said if/when he leaves. Too bad this title has been on the late track.
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
For Me:

Flash - Geoff Johns' best work of all his current books.

JLA - Still a favorite. I wouldn't mind a break from the "whole world about to be destroyed" story and get a few character stories.

New Mutants - nice, crisp, clean.

Exiles - Still waiting to see where Austin takes the title characters. I did like the Weapons X story.

Outsiders - Good so far, but I am now wanting some character developement.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proty II
The Weirdo Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Proty II   Author's Homepage   Email Proty II         Edit/Delete Post     
It changes all the time, but here's a baker's dozen of the ones I'm enjoying most lately:

Tom Strong
Tom Strong Adventures
Promethea
Smax
Planetary
Astro City
JSA
Hawkman
Teen Titans
Exiles
Supreme Power
Age of Bronze
Reign of the Zodiac

I would probably put Ruse and Sojourn in there as well but I fell way behind on my reading and I have about six months of CrossGen sitting on my dresser waiting to be read.

If I had to take it down to just 5 then I'll go with:

Promethea
Planetary
JSA
Exiles
Astro City

Ken

--------------------
Yes, but now I'm back! I'm back FROM the future!

Vist Hyperion Ranch!
Guided tours of Chateau Crowbar now available!

http://hometown.aol.com/kidcrowbar/myhomepage/ranch.html

From: Hyperion Ranch, California | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
1. The Legion: It's the only series I buy monthly anymore.

2. Ultimate Spider-man: I love this title. If I weren't buying the trades, I would definitely pick this up monthly.

3. Nightwing: I used to buy this monthly, but went to the TPBs a few years back. I don't regret that decision, but it always seems to be a good read when I get around to it.

4. Exiles: Alti-verse meets Quantum Leap in the Marvel universe... What's not to like. I can't think of another "vehicle" that would make me go near an "X" title... that's not entirely true. I pick up the Ultimate X-men because there's a chance that Ultimate Spider-man could make it in there someday, that's how much I like Ultimate Spidey.

5. Batman Family Trades: I like the long sweeping arcs of No Man's Land and Bruce Wayne: Fugitive and the like. I don't like trying to track down all of the titles so I just wait for the trades.

Honorable Mentions:

6. Birds of Prey: Series started out bad for me, just bored me. The latest trade, Of Like Minds, is very good though. Has a chance to rival Nightwing on my list if it sustains it's current excellence.

7. The Clone Wars Trades: Everybody likes Star Wars right?

Note: I used to get Young Justice but heard bad things about Graduation Day so I didn't switch over when YJ got cancelled. With the good buzz about the ongoing, I may pick up the Teen Titans trades if and when they ever get collected.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Legion (will always be on my top 5, unless they let Liefeld take some crayons to it).

2. JSA

3. Teen Titans

4. Flash

5. Daredevil

And I have been picking up the Outsiders title, but honestly I haven't been impressed. I guess I'm still nostalgic for the BatO book, with Halo, Katana, GeoForce, Black Lightning and Metamorpho (not the dupe). Guest appearances of these folks just aren't doing it for me.

I just don't care about the new characters at all. And I'm also one of those annoyed with the results (however temporary) of "Graduation Day". What a load of hogwash that was...

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
My list:

1 - Legion: Even though I have not been impressed with recent stories, it's still the one I look forward to the most every month.

2 - Flash: I am totally digging this series. Wally has become the most relatable character that I have read in a long time.

3 - Wonder Woman: I've just been picking this up since the new team took over. She is probably the least relatable character in comics today, but I'm still being entertained.

4 - Hawkman: Good run by Johns. I'm concerned about the new team, though.

5 - Fables: The only Vertigo book I've ever read on a regular basis. Fantastic characters. Fun all around. Rapidly rising in my rankings.

Honorable mention -

Aquaman - So bad, it's... well it's not much good at all. But it looks like it'll be getting better.

JSA - Black Reign was fantastic. But Johns has to start putting out some quality stories on a regular basis if I'm going to become a regular reader again.

Teen Titans - Sorry, guys. I just don't like it. Too much of the (really whiney and annoying!) kids and not enough of the 80's group (you know, the ones who put the Titans on the top of the charts). We've been seven issues and not much has really happened.

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parasitic Twin
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parasitic Twin           Edit/Delete Post     
In no particular order:

RUNAWAYS

Y:THE LAST MAN

MY FAITH IN FRANKIE

ABADAZAD

LEGION

From: sprouting from 3rd rib | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Mines-- as TEEN TITANS is DC's # 2 seller according to the top 100 list, its being traded is likely a sure thing.

Awww, SLK, reread those Titans issues-- not much has happened?

SPOILERS!!!!!

Superboy & Krypto: together again for the first time! The total re-invention of Impulse! The return of Jericho! Deathstroke and the surprise former-Titan-all-new Ravager! Raven: back at last! Starfire kicks Wonder Woman's ass! Wonder Girl's dangerous new lasso! Brother Blood! Oh, and Cyborg & Beast Boy are there too (okay, maybe they need some more attention...!).

There's TONS of stuff going on!

My only gripe is, Grummet's art is nice on his fill-ins, but he doesn't do McKone's version of Superboy justice. Which is odd considering how many years he spent on SUPERBOY.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
OK, in no particular order...

Sojourn
Supreme Power
Abadazad

ummm....sorry, I don't know of any other books that are in the same league as these. If you're not reading these three, you're missing out. (In my oh-so-humble opinion, of course.)

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Parasitic Twin, I see you're reading My Faith In Frankie. I think this book is great myself, I can't wait for the next few issues!

In fact, I totally recommend this book to everyone! The main character, Frankie, is a high-school girl cutie that is very likeable and is stuck between a dilemna of two boys: a deity and her childhood boyfriend brought back from the dead! It's really a cool book and very well-written.

The way it's written reminds me of something that you would like Lash, the character Frankie is very sweet and the type of character that is usually loved by people here on Legion World!

Oh, and it's a four issue mini by Vertigo.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.