Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The All Spider-Man thread! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: The All Spider-Man thread!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Note- by page 2, I start posting very long reviews on Spider-Man’s various series over the years. Please don’t let that hinder any discussion, as that is not what this thread is about. I hope no one minds that I post them, since I love talking about Spidey so much.-- thanks, Cobalt

As I've said before, Spider-Man is my other huge love in comics besides the Legion. My father and I own all of his appearances, and I've read them all at least five times over--I used to read the entire run of Spider-man every summer from age 11 to 16 in chronilogical order from Amazing Fantasy #15 to the current issue.

I consider myself more knowledgable about Spider-man than any other thing in comics, and can answer any question people have!

A few things to get the topic started: I totally prefer Gwen Stacey to any of Spidey's loves, including Mary Jane. I love Doc Ock and the classic villians, but the Hobgoblin is my favorite villian of all time. I wish Marvel would consider long-time fans and continuity and show obscure Spider-man supporting cast members and villians like Dr. Jonas Harrow and Sha Shan.

Anyone else absolutely love Spidey?

[ February 09, 2008, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Oh, and for the sake of writing about Spidey, I plan to give reviews of every era of Spider-man on the nights that I get bored [Wink]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
CK - Spider-man was surely my first favorite superhero. I still remember buying Spidey Super Stories when I was little. I don't really follow the title now (I only keep up with the Legion unfortunately) but I always liked that Peter has been allowed to "grow up" more than most other heroes. I hated that Marvel made him split up with MJ for a while there although I guess he is "the hero who could be you" and a rocky marriage is in keeping with Peter's luck over the years.

Did you like the movie? I thought it was really good and can't wait for the sequel to open.

[ June 04, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: matlock ]

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I very much like the motivation behind Spider-man... "With great power comes great responsibility."

I'm pretty much a fan of all the animated versions and I came pretty late (1998) to the comics "game" so I don't think I'll be going back and getting all the Spidey AR appearances.

I am very much into the Ultimate Spider-man... along with Legion it is my only "must" have title. Everything else can wait.

I wasn't too happy about the Ultimate Six trade that just came out... it just seemed that the story was all set up and no pay off. It needed more Spidey in it too. At the very least it should have had more Ultimates in it. That's saying alot because I don't get why everybody else is fawning over The Ultimates. It just wasn't all that good.

Anyway... I like Spidey too. :spider-man:

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
BRING BACK BEN REILLY!!! :Spider-man2:
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
And here I thought I was stirring the pot by saying how much I liked Ultimate Spidey... and Povins out does me with a clone remark.

Nice. [Wink]

I loved the movie the first time I saw it. After watching it a couple of times it really has a few, what I call, "SeeThreepio" minutes. These are the times when the movie just makes you shake your head in shame at how awful the moment really is. You know like when Threepio is saying, "I've fallen and I can't get up." Just plain horrible.

The Spider-man movie hit me like that when the Goblin knocks Spider-man out just so that he can try and talk him into joining his side. Sorry I ain't buying that one. I also hate it when the New Yorkers on the bridge say, "You mess with one of us, you're messing with all of us." Just too hokey. Other than that the movie is faithful to what I know to be Spider-man.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I've also got my two cents on the Clone Saga too, that I'll get to one day [Wink] !

I liked the movie a lot, it was kind of like seeing my favorite super-hero and childhood "friend" finally get his due. It made me feel like a little kid, and was exactly as I would have wanted to see it done (with the one exception of the Goblin's costume).

Peter, Harry and MJ were great in it, and the ending with Pete and MJ was perfect.

And I really like Ultimate Spider-man too.

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Some threads don't get no respect *sigh*

{/RodneyDangerfield OFF}

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by minesurfer:
...The Spider-man movie hit me like that when the Goblin knocks Spider-man out just so that he can try and talk him into joining his side. Sorry I ain't buying that one. I also hate it when the New Yorkers on the bridge say, "You mess with one of us, you're messing with all of us." Just too hokey.

I totally agree about those two moments. I also didn't really buy that Gobie blew a hole in Peter's house, scared Aunt May and ... what? Just flew away? There was no reason he didn't just kill her. I thought the Willem Dafoe mirror scene was a tad hokey too.

I liked the first movie a lot, but it actually faltered for me once he put the costume on. The retelling of the origin was great stuff, but the second half of the movie seemed to lack a story -- mostly because the Green Goblin didn't really have much motivation after he killed those Oscorp guys (hence the "join me" rooftop scene). The effects were amazing (spectacular even) though.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Regarding the Spider-Man comics...
I've been an on again/off again fan of the character for as long as I can remember. Which isn't to say my affection waxes and waynes, I mostly wait til there's a good creative team that piques my interest (Iron Man is like that for me too btw).

I loved the Romita run back in the day. Spidey's epic struggle with the Juggernaut is one of my fav Spidey stories of all time (the thematic followup drawn by Frenz (I forgot who wrote it) where Spidey battles Firelord was less impressive though).

I also really liked the book when he got the symbiote costume and like most fans, I thought MacFarlane was the bomb when he first came on the scene (I had lost interest by the time he started his adjectiveless title).

I loved the first Hobgoblin storyline, but in retrospect he wasn't that interesting a character on his own. I think it was the mystery that was the most intriguing part. Still, he deserved a much better death. Who's the current Hobgoblin?

I don't remember much about Gwen Stacy, but I'm curious -- how long was she actually around? Did she start out as Peter's girl from the get go or was their hookup a long process?

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
Ultimate Spider-Man is excellent. Good for kids and adults, I say. (Wish there were more like that.) Get these into the hands of kids you know!

The early Spider-Man stuff...love it. And the covers!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
The New Yorker's bridge comment was a Post Nine Eleven moment, probably added late in the movie's production. With three thousand dead in that city, I gave it a pass, however strained it may have been.
From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I have comments and answers to everyone, but dammit, I have work now [Frown] ! And reviews on every Spider-man era, creative team and issue ever [Wink] !

But I will say that I agree with Teeds! Get USM in the hands of every kid/early teen you know! An excellent comic for all ages.

Aw hell: Gwen Stacey was around from #31 to #122, and was a character that anyone could fall in love with! More on her later...

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Ultimate Spider-Man is probably the best comic book out there right now that is for all ages. While I wouldn't reccomend Ultimates or Ultimate X-Men to a young kid, I'd definately give USM (or Ultimate FF) to a pre-teen. The stories are fun and charming, and Peter, MJ and Gwen are beyond likable. The title is so refreshing, I just can't get enough of it. And Bagley is doing the best artwork in his carreer.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's consistently fun and good, and can be really Amazing sometimes.

[ June 05, 2004, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
Personally I think Spider-Girl is the best comic for all ages.

Don't diss the Spider-Man movie. It was my 1st team-up with him. [Razz]

[ June 05, 2004, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: ActorLad ]

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.