Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The All Spider-Man thread! (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: The All Spider-Man thread!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Continuing the review of recent issues of Spider-Man:

#1 - the Second Part of the Molten Man story - like the first part, this was 'okay'. I like the Molten Man, as a classic Spidey villain with some great history, and I love seeing Liz Allen again (even if her name was mispelled within the issue [Big Grin] ). But this story felt like a retread--it was like rereading the classic Molten Man visits Harry & Liz in New Jersey story from the early 1980's, except this time they are divorced. I'm sure most readers won't remember that story (from Spectacular #63 to be exact), but I read that issue several times as a kid and its pretty similar. Once again, Dan Slott is showing that while moments Post-OMD have been stellar, some parts are still too much of a retread.

#2 - the Barrack Obama issue - isn't really much to do with Obama after all. That six page story at the end was pretty 'blah', so not much going on there. Much more important to me, as a major Spidey fan, was the Betty Leeds (Brant) story at the beginning by Mark Waid and Barry Kitson. And once more, post-OMD, WOW! What a great story! Terrific, absolutely terrific. Like the Flash Thompson story several months ago, this was an excellent, well done story giving insight to Betty, one of Peter's most imporant supporting cast members after all these years. Mark Waid provides yet another spectacular story (he's on a roll for Spidey stories), while Kitson's art is incredible as usual. This is another contender for best Spidey story thus far in this new era. I love Betty, and seeing all these long time cast members get some much needed screen time without rehashing old plots is the bonus I've been waiting for all along with this new focus on the thrice-monthly ASM with rotating storylines and writers. This story proved once more that the new format can give us what was promised. And as spoilers for anyone reading--no fear, there is no Betty/Peter romance, Waid is much too smart for that. Instead he establishes the great friendship she has with Pete after all these years, and enures readers will remember why they like her rather than hate her if she dares take MJ's place.

#3 "Character Assassination" - by Marc Guggenheim and JR Jr. I've said before I love Romita Jr's art, and this is no exception. Its utterly fantastic here, and those of us who love it will really enjoy it. Those of you who hate it--bah! As for the story itself, I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit! Other than the rather weak "New Ways to Die" this one is actually loaded with great character sequences, a steadily moving plot and some very good revelations. I like Guggenheim's pacing and tension-building here; he's always been hit or miss with me but lately is impressing the hell out of me on Spidey. The Spidey being hurt / having his arm in a sling is a classic Spidey scenario that has appeared every 40+ issues of ASM for about forty years, but he makes it work here.

Click Here For A SpoilerIn regards to the two big Spoilers:

(1) Lily Hollister as Menace was something I was suspecting these last few issues. While it works plot-wise it also makes sense from an outside perspective in that (a) Harry as Menace is far too obvious and (b) readers naturally would hate Lily in a post-MJ world and so what better way really hammer that home than to make the new 'bombshell' potential love interest slash problem for Pete and Harry be a screw-up super-villain. I've found her annoying thus far; now I actually am interested.

(2) The Spider-Tracer killings are suddenly a much more interesting plot. Several police officers behind it all, possibly killing crooks? Thats where it seems to be leading so far and that's pretty interesting twist. I'm looking forward to further resolution. I do hope Vin Gonzales isn't a part of it though because having him as some fresh blood in Pete's life has been nice, and his character lends well to Spidey stories. I also like Carlie Cooper's role.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Essential Amazing Spider-Man Volume 9 came out this week, and it is a must-buy, as it collects what I consider the most underrated of all the Spidey runs -- the Marv Wolfman era, #186-204. Wolfman, of course, introduced the Black Cat, but he did so much more -- he excelled with the supporting cast, tied up loose plot threads, moved the book in new directions, and overall pulled ASM back from the self-parody it had IMO been wallowing in during the Conway and Wein eras.

The standout issue is # 200, Spidey's confrontation with the burglar who killed Uncle Ben. Keith Pollard, the Wolfman era's semi-regular penciller, had been constricted on earlier issues by Jim Shooter's squeeze-in-as-many-panels-as-you-can philosophy. But the double-length of # 200 allowed Pollard to stretch out and really strut his stuff, proving himself every bit the equal of John Romita Senior, and superior to Gil Kane and Ross Andru.

The Marv Wolfman era is only a few issues shorter than the Roger Stern era, and there is no reason why it shouldn't receive just as much praise.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

#200 is one of my favorite issues of all time. I reviewed Wolfman's run way back when I first joined LW, but most of posts back then are a little embarrassing for me to read. I need a post editor [Big Grin]

Wolfman did several things that really kind of 'picked the book up and restored it as Marvel's flagship'.

- Introduction of the Black Cat, and her earlist stories were some of the best.

- Exit Mary Jane from the series. By this time, MJ really had to leave the series because fans (including me when I read them) couldn't stand her. She still was stuck in the 'taking Gwen's place before we had a chance to mourn her syndrome', and was as selfish as ever--particularly under Len Wein's writing. Her turning down Pete's first marriage proposal was the last nail in the coffin. I think her exit actually saved her character...it led to a 'cooling off period' that allowed Stern to bring her back in a great way.

- Spidey cleared by the police / Spidey graduates college / etc. Marv began or continued a series of things that helped Spidey move on from several longstanding plot elements that definitely had become too 'status quo'. He therefore helped give the title a much needed jumpstart again, even if it wasn't noticable right away. But by the time Roger Stern came on about two years later, he had a lot more to work with without retreading longstanding plot elements. The best one of these is Aunt May finally thinking better of Spider-Man after all those years (two decades really). Marv helped put some closure to that tired old bit and in a way that seemed natural.

- Best Spencer Smythe story of all time. Its also one of the best Jonah/Spidey stories too. I'd say its actually so good that there was no need to ever go back to the Spider-Slayers again (too bad that didn't last).

- Marv also did a few things with the supporting cast that helped move it forward too. He introduced some new characters, like Deb Whitman (who would suffer after his departure). He included some characters he didn't create but helped firmly establish within Spidey's lore, like Sha Shan and Marla Madison. He helped move Harry past all the Goblin craziness so he was just normal again (Len Wein wrote him as very weird). He returned Betty Brant to the series and although she wasn't exactly normal, he at least made her interesting again. He wrote one of the best Joe Robinson's ever, and in fact, I think its Marv who wrote what I consider to be Joe's best scene in the history of the character. I'll have to find the issue so I have the number right.

- The build-up to #200 with issue after issue having something terrible happen to Peter is one of the most dramatic and painful experiences to read as Peter's life crumbles around him. And the ending of #200 in which it all works out is one of the best. Its all a tribute to Marv's writing. When Peter thinks Aunt May is really dead, and Harry and Flash finally learn about, its so subtly and powerfully done. They are both angry at him and then suddenly realize the pain their friend is in...really good stuff.

- And #200. Like I said, one of my favorite issues of all time.

As you know Stealth, my first three pages of posts here are reviews of Spidey's past. But be easy on me...I was rushing through, and it was when I first came to LW...I wasn't as used to writing on the internet at that time. [Smile] I also focused a lot less on creators, and I'm generally 100% positive about every era of Spidey's history.

I first read Marv's run when I was 12 years old and have read it literally about 25 times since. I used to read all the Spider-Man comics non-stop throughout my pre-teen and early teen years.

[ May 19, 2009, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Oh yeah, #201-202 is one of the best Punisher stories ever too, also written by Marv!
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not a big Spidey reader, but I halfway remember something I saw in a solicit or mentioned in an interview about current day Spidey teaming up with either or both Human Torch and Iceman.

Has that already seen print and I missed it? Or is it still to come? Or did I dream it up?

I've enjoyed moments of Spidey in NEW AVENGERS-- in fact, he's probably the best thing about that title. But he doesn't seem to me to have formed the slightest real connection with any of the other characters.

Not the way he did with Johnny Storm or Bobby Drake.

I'd love a non-team kind of team featuring those three with maybe Crystal taking frequent breaks from cosmic royalty via Lockjaw.

And maybe somebody deadly serious, just for leavening. Not a mutant. Hmmm. Drawing a blank.

Would anyone else enjoy such a title?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Todd, since I'm still reading all things Spider, I'll try to answer your questions. If anyone is wondering why I haven't given updates on latest issues, its because I still haven't gotten to them in my stack of comics yet.

Anyway, Spidey teamed up with the entire FF in a recent storyline where they re-learned his secret identity. It was okay. Not anything to get excited about.

I don't remember anything about a solicited Iceman / Spidey story coming out though.

Spidey and the Torch's rivalry/gradual friendship is one of my all-time favorite in comic books--actually, it probably is my #1 favorite. I've grown up reading that growth of a bond between them my whole life. Its done so well and in several stages: (1) Early/Mid Silver Age where they have a pure rivalry and don't like each other yet The Torch unknowingly inspires Spidey to beat Doc Ock early in his career; (2) Late Silver Age / Tablet Saga where they by now have a mutual respect for one another yet still easily fall back into battling one another (over the Lizard's fate here); and (3) by the Gerry Conway / mid-70's when they had really begun to be friends and the Torch helps him build his spider-mobile, which is ridiculous but retains a certain humorous enjoyability. They're friendship has only gotten better since, including several other eras, notably when the Torch always helped him battle Venom in the 80's.

Iceman and Spidey, on the other hand, have not had nearly that many encounters with one another. The classic is the one in #91-92 after Captain Stacy dies and Spidey is blamed for the murder and Iceman comes to stop him. They've met a few times after that, but not that often. On a similar note, Torch and Iceman have that classic Silver Age team-up in Strange Tales but also haven't had that many team-ups besides their classic Marvel Team-Up issue. I think Iceman fits perfectly into the dynamic, especially because he's not the easiest person to be around either (like Spidey and Johnny).

So to answer your question, I'd buy a Torch / Spidey / Iceman "non-team" team-up book in a heartbeat. Agree about Crystal and as for who to add in: the Black Knight, who would almost automatically not get along with any of them.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Okay, following the above post, I caught up on some Spidey stories (thought I'm probably two weeks out of date already). Some thoughts:

American Son by Joe Kelly and various artists. Joe Kelly remains the strongest of the Spider-Man Web Heads (re: writing team / brain trust) these days and this was a good effort. The story basically serves two purposes: (A) do a story about Harry Osborn actually making a little character progression regarding his father and (B) have Spidey's interaction with Norman Osborn and the Dark Avengers firmly established, hopefully so he can move on. The story does a good job on both, though I can't say any new ground was really covered regarding the long Green Goblin/Spider-Man saga over the decades. All in all, it was pretty solid but nothing to rave about. I've read great Goblin stories and weak ones and this falls somewhere in the middle. What he does succeed at is presenting a Norman Osborn story that doesn't feel another stupid Dark Reign crossover. Kudos for that.

The real twist that shows just how vicious Norman is the revelation about Menace/Lily. Whic was okay but I don't really like the character all that much. I'm predicting here and now she'll be dead within the year. Kelly continues to make Norah an interesting part of Spidey's life and that is welcome.

That leads to Amazing Spider-Man #600; which I'd rank as probably better than #500 was, but nowhere near as good as #400 (Death of Aunt May), #300 (first Venom) or the legendary #200 (Spidey versus the Burglar round 2). The main story involves Aunt May's wedding to Jameson Sr., which is a plot thread I can do without. Running parrallel to that is a Doc Ock story I really didn't like as it really makes Doc Ock look very poorly. I checked the writer and its Dan Slott, who continues to lose value in my eyes as he proves time and time again he's the weakest of the Spidey writers. His dig at Doc Ock lessons the character after Marvel has done several good things to restore him to his greatness (including the excellent second film).

For every good thing Slott does, like the great banter between Jonah and Peter, or the inclusion of all the various cast members, he does a bunch of bad ones like having Johnny Storm at Aunt May's wedding (as ridiculously stupid as the Spider-Mobile but without the charm). Out of the huge main story, I probably only enjoyed about five pages of it.

The ending and surprise return of Mary Jane isn't much of a surprise--this one is something we all saw coming.

The issue jam-packed with back-ups, with essentially everyone pitching in. For the most part...they aren't that memorable, which is a shame. The good:

(1) Marcos Martin's artwork continues to shine but it was with a ridiculous Stan Lee script which I've seen too many times over the last 20 years.

(2) Hilarious "Spidey covers you'll never see"

(3) Mark Waid has a really good back-up with Uncle Ben, again showing how Waid really knows how to use the back-up format to his advantage, something most other modern writers fail to do.

Meanwhile, stories by Guggenheim, Wells, Gale, etc. left a lot to be desired.

I also have ASM Annual, which I haven't read yet and will review since I'm trying to get every comic.

One of the most enjoyable parts of Spidey is the Letters Pages by Steve Wacker and Tom Brennan. Out of all of the editors in comic books right now, I think Wacker is probably the best, or certainly the most fun. From 52 to Spidey, he really is a funny guy who knows how to keep things interesting. Sometimes the letters pages are much better than the stories. In a way, he's kind of the modern age equivalent of Stan Lee in that respect. Kudos to him for that.

I am looking forward to seeing the growing supporting cast continue to have stories and subplots. I just hope they're good ones, like Kelly and Guggenheim do, rather than ridiculous ones like Slott does.

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Huh?

http://box-in-the-box.livejournal.com/273546.html

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Clicked on it but haven't read the issue yet and don't want spoilers. Will definitely review it yet.

Thus far, Waid's Spidey stories have been pretty good. I'll admit that link made me curious.

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. Thanks for affirming why I dropped Spider-Man a few years ago when they retconned out the marriage.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Huh some more?

http://box-in-the-box.livejournal.com/310535.html
http://box-in-the-box.livejournal.com/310351.html
http://www.comicboards.com/php/show.php?rpy=smb-2009111918222399

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I’ve caught up with ¾ of the Spider-Man comics since I last reviewed so I’ll give my latest here (which should also address ‘Boot and Nighty’s above comments).

ASM #601 / Return of Mary Jane / Michele Gonzales
Following #600, Mark Waid follows-up on Mary Jane’s return and shows the scene which has caught a lot of heat on the internet in which Peter wakes up after an apparent night of drunken debauchery with Michele and they’ve slept together. Well, that’s a pretty good way to make the detractors of Spider-Man pretty angry. All in all, the issue is actually pretty terrible throughout so I can’t defend it. In fact, while Waid’s first few Spider-Man stories were pretty good, everything he’s done with Spidey from this issue forward has been pretty weak in general. He’s not as bad as Dan Slott but certainly on the lower echelon of Spider-Man writers. The one bonus is he remembered to bring back Gloria Grant, a character I love, though she’s really not doing anything and is only appearing every so often.

To make matters even weirder, Waid strikes again 10 issue later (I’ll get to the actual story later in my review) as he returns to the Michele subplot and reveals Peter wasn't really drunk at all! This actually makes the whole thing even harder to take as he then slept with Michele when he was sober and was stupid enough to convince himself he was drunk, which really only happens in the movies and not in real life. Ugh. The thing is, Michele isn’t that bad a character when written by Joe Kelly or Fred Van Lente and Peter having a roommate he doesn’t get along with but has some weird sort of flirtation with *could* be fun. But Waid just had to go there. And apparently he’s the only one who wanted to. Of course, people might point out the 25 year debate on if Peter slept with a married Betty Brant in the 190’s of ASM, but part of the reason that debate is amusing is because its all subjective and no one can prove anything, and most fans and writers would assume “no, that couldn’t have happened”. Here though, nothing is left to the imagination.

ASM #601 back-up by Bendis / New Avengers
Bendis has a quick back-up that is really a New Avengers story in which Jessica Jones and Peter discuss their old high school days. If you like Jessica Jones, you’ll enjoy it. It doesn’t really have too much effect on Peter himself. The whole idea of Jessica knowing Peter from high school was one I wasn’t exactly thrilled with when I learned of it but its grown on me over time.

ASM #602-605 / Red-Headed Stranger
Following Waid’s awful issue, Fred Van Lente reminds us why his issues are generally the best of the bunch, as he gives a really solid Chameleon story while at the same time reimbursing MJ into Peter’s life but showing her interact with everyone. This is probably the best Chameleon story since DeMatteis in the late 90’s (probably even better than that to be honest) and showcases how Van Lente is firing on all cylinders as of late on everything he writes. He also deals with Harry following American Son, but in a way that seems natural and not as over the top as Dan Slott. This was an all-around great read. One other thing I liked is the reappearance of the ultra-obscure Slyde, and the fact that Van Lente realized he is now dead so had the costume be someone in disguised as Jonah tries to catch Spider-Man.

Jonah as Mayor / Married Aunt May
Jonah as Mayor of New York is working for me. Married Aunt May is definitely not.

ASM #606-607 / Black Cat returns
Joe Kelly comes back on with Mike McKone as the Black Cat returns (naturally) just as MJ is back in his life. Anyone else could have botched this but Kelly proves he really knows how to write awkward romance scenes as these issues showcase the various women in Peter’s life: MJ, Black Cat, Norah Winters (who I love), Michele Gonzalez (who when not written by Waid you love to hate) and even Carlie Cooper who they pulled a bait & switch with and make Harry’s love interest. I thought this was a pretty solid effort and balanced each woman nicely. Kelly obviously has a soft-spot for Winters who he created, while the focus seems to make readers agonize over MJ and Peter not being together. Something that didn’t seem to catch the fan’s ire was that at the end, the Black Cat and Spider-Man are basically ‘hooking up’ again in a non-exclusive way. I wonder why that didn’t garner fan outrage? Because of some precedent? For me, I hope that ends pretty quickly. I really like the Black Cat but I hate the idea of her being with Peter.

ASM #608-610 / Who was Ben Reilly?
For some odd reason the clone saga seems to be getting more a following these days so Marvel thought it would be interesting to return to some of the aspects of it. Being generally a fan of the Clone Saga, I’d agree. Unfortunately, this story didn’t really add all that much to it, other than showcasing Kaine again (who once and for all is alive and well) and introducing Raptor, a new villain who is a bit derivative of the traditional Spidey-villains. The Reilly family of cousins are big players here and while they were kind of amusing a few months back, their continued presence in the Spidey titles isn’t really all appealing to me. This was the last Marc Guggenheim story in ASM; he was always right in the middle of how I’d rank the writers, sometimes showing some good stuff and sometimes being more bland. Here falls into the more bland category. And is it just me or do Adi Granov’s covers seem really boring to anyone?

ASM #611 / Deadpool
I never read Joe Kelly’s Deadpool but have always heard all kinds of praise about it. Reading this, I’m not sure it would have been my cup of tea. Only becoming more familiar with Deadpool myself in recent months, I’m still on the fence about the character in general. Here, he’s amusing at times but annoying at others. While Kelly has been knocking it out of the park on ASM, this is probably his weakest issue to date. Artist Eric Canete seems to fit right in with Deadpool rather than Spidey.

ASM #612-614 / Power to the People
Mark Waid returns for a three issue Electro story that kicks off “the Gauntlet”. Electro is one of my favorites and I think he’s been woefully misused for about 25 years, so I have high hopes this is rectified. And with this story, aside from the aforementioned awful Michele Gonzalez sequences, Waid actually provides a pretty solid Electro story. Its very topical given the current economic climate (which means 5 years from now it will feel dated) but uses Electro very well. The Mad Thinker also appears briefly in a cool way. The major problem with the issue is the destruction of Dexter Bennett and the “DB”. This is something I mind, actually, since I find Bennett annoying as all hell and the DB plot to be getting pretty damn old and stale at this point—if anything, this was way overdue. But it’s the way in which its done that is another Waid misstep. It looks like because of Spidey and Elecro’s fight, Bennett is basically crippled. And throughout it, Spidey seems oblivious or unaware. In the old days, he’d at least try to help Bennett and they’d make sure he was heroic but here it almost is written in a way that makes Peter seem a little negligent. I don’t like that at all—the entire final issue of this arc felt all wrong writing wise. Lately Waid has been doing a great job on his own Boom! Comic books but here at ASM, he just can’t seem to get it right.

Being Thrice-Monthly
Coming out three times a month is something I’m enjoying quite a bit being a huge Spider-Man fan but it does come with one problem: what you get is a mixed bag. One week you might get a really awesome Fred Van Lente or Joe Kelly story while the next you might get something awful by Dan Slott or a Mark Waid ‘head-scratcher’. I wish Slott and Waid would quietly leave the ‘Web-Heads’ and Van Lente, Kelly, Wells and Stern were joined by one or two other great writers. The art, on the other hand, is almost consistently excellent. They really do get some top talent producing stories here. Marcos Martin has emerged as my new favorite, though Barry Kitson’s art has been spectacular here too. I think all around Editor Steve Wacker and Assistant Editor Tom Brennan do a great job.

Letters Page
Every issue has one and they rock. Better than visiting a Spidey message board.

Web of Spider-Man
In addition to the thrice-monthly ASM, there is now the monthly Web of Spider-Man comic, which features three stories in an anthology format. Usually it will focus on a character that is important to ASM that month, a monthly installment of Spider-Girl and a back-up on the supporting characters. I like that Web exists and hope they can use it to their advantage to fit in some great stories, particularly with the supporting cast. I hope Betty, Gloria, Flash and others (besides MJ and Harry) are featured eventually.

Thus far the lead stories have been a Kaine story (okay), an Electro story by Van Lente and Barry Kitson which was excellent and a Rhino story by Van Lente which was also excellent. Specifically, the Rhino story did a great job at reintroducing the character, reaffirming he’s a menace not to be trifled with rather than the joke Marvel let him become but also not take anything away from previously established characterization.

The Spider-Girl stories I only breezed through because I never followed the series. I hope fans of that series are happy its continued in some form.

The back-ups have also been a mixed bag thus far. The Jonah Jameson one by Tom Peyer in #2 was pretty good, as I love Jonah and when they get him right its always a solid story. The Aunt May / Jameson Sr. story in #3 wasn’t my cup of tea because I don’t like that storyline.

Subplots of what’s to come
The subplots leading up to the Gauntlet, with Kraven’s family seems interesting thus far and I’m curious as to how Arana and Madame Web play into it. As for the Mary Jane marriage stuff they’ve hinted at in the recent ‘puzzle piece’ press releases, all I can say is Marvel better be careful. If they are really going down that route they better not screw it up even worse, which they could very well do. People *still* have a lot of anger at Marvel for eliminating the marriage (as Legion World can attest)…I can easily see Marvel trying to resolve this once and for all and then not reinstating the marriage, which would only anger those people even more. But I’ll curiously watch as it all unfolds.

[ January 05, 2010, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Man. Am I glad that I dropped Spidey a long time ago. They have totally screwed this guy up.

How is showing your main character get drunk and sleep with someone a good idea on any level. Especially for your FLAGSHIP character.

As a kid I remember reading Spidey and seeing flirtations and the like...but this is insane. This is not the Peter Parker I grew up with.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

What I forgot to mention is there is this weird sequence in #601 where Waid hints that maybe Peter didn't sleep with Michele and it was actually MJ he spent the night with. I wonder if the internet caught that, and mentioned it?

Its really hard to understand what the hell it means and Waid didn't return to it. Really weird.

But don't be surprised if 3 months from now Waid reveals Peter really slept with MJ and Michele has just been lying to him all along that they slept together. Waid will point to this scene as his evidence (which is a completely non-sensical scene BTW). He's given himself an easy out, though if he goes that route its just more bad writing.

[ January 16, 2010, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Caught up with the current Sandman story by Fred Van Lente and Javier Pulido. In short, its pretty damn excellent and reminds me again that Van Lente is *the* man for Spider-Man stories these days. Add in Javier Pulido's art and you've got a real winner, as Pulido is just a fantastic artist and I hope he sticks around on Spidey for awhile. His work really suits Spidey's stories, as its very clear yet action-oriented. Here he shines by showing Spidey web-slinging and in awkward positions that makes potentially forgetable panels pretty exciting.

Pulido also draws Spidey with a scarf, wool hat and boots--and its awesome. It definitely made me smile.

Van Lente also shows the post-DB world of Spidey and does a great job; Jonah and Robbie share a strong moment and then Betty Brant gets to move to the next stage of her career in a welcome way. She also helps Spider-Man which is an odd turn of events; I wouldn't mind if this continued going forward (though they would have to address the longtime problems Betty has had with Spider-Man). Also got to see Gloria in action working with Pete which was great.

The Sandman story itself is very strong, and is already one of the best Sandman stories I've read in years. Like many other great Marvel villains, there have been a lot of bad Sandman stories. Luckily, this is a solid, strong outing and Van Lente reminds me a bit of Roger Stern when Stern came in and gave the Vulture 2-3 great stories after decades of crappy ones.

If you're in desperate need of a great Spider-Man story and are concerned of when to get it, I'd say this is you best bet.

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.