Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Any recommendations (Page 20)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Any recommendations
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So another series by Image has really blown me away! This one totally different than everything else I've been reading: Peter Panzerfaust. Everyone do yourselves a favor and buy this comic. If you've got a soul, you'll love it.

Without giving too much away, here is a brief summary: Peter Pan in WWII. Beyond that, a killer delivery in story telling by Green Wake writer Kurtis Wiebe and artsit Tyler Jenkins. Wiebe instills a sense of the grandiose with the pacing and tone; it has a very innocent feel at times and then a very gritty WWII feel--a dichotomy that works. Jenkins artwork is stylized yet clean and I think he does a great job. It's interesting to see Wiebe's writing with an artist like Jenkins. It might be better than the Greek Wake combo.

I highly recommend people pick this up. I was delighted by how much I liked it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
So another series by Image has really blown me away! This one totally different than everything else I've been reading: Peter Panzerfaust. Everyone do yourselves a favor and buy this comic. If you've got a soul, you'll love it.

Without giving too much away, here is a brief summary: Peter Pan in WWII. Beyond that, a killer delivery in story telling by Green Wake writer Kurtis Wiebe and artsit Tyler Jenkins. Wiebe instills a sense of the grandiose with the pacing and tone; it has a very innocent feel at times and then a very gritty WWII feel--a dichotomy that works. Jenkins artwork is stylized yet clean and I think he does a great job. It's interesting to see Wiebe's writing with an artist like Jenkins. It might be better than the Greek Wake combo.

I highly recommend people pick this up. I was delighted by how much I liked it.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
So the surprise hit of January / February for me was Prophet. I had heard the buzz surrounding it and how quality it was, and then was even more curious once I started reading some big names (e.g. Warren Ellis) really complimenting and praising it. So, checking it out for myself, I was totally blown away by how unique the series is, and how interesting and good that made it. This was a fantastic comic! And by issue’s end, I wasn’t sure if it was so much that I wanted to continue reading, or if I just felt compelled to.

Prophet is by Image Comics via Rob Liefield’s extreme studios. It was a major Image comic in the 90’s and the epitome of everything wrong with comics then; but I actually never read any of those stories and don’t really know all that much about it. And I think this relaunched series is exactly for readers like me in that regard, who have no great knowledge or love of what came before. Rob Liefield made a very smart decision in finding some creators with real indie cred and letting them just run with the concept in their own direction. Writer Brandon Graham and artist Simon Roy do exactly that and its really like nothing I’ve seen before.

Prophet takes place at some far point in the future, when the lead character John Prophet has reawakened to find a very alien Earth. And by ‘very alien’, I mean it! It’s almost impossible to describe the contents of what is within without resorting to summarizing, so I’ll just try to focus on the tone of the series. There is an incredible sense of uneasiness throughout, and I felt myself getting continually more on edge. Prophet is a true sci-fi series in every sense, but it is one of the much more visceral ones to come out in awhile. In that sense, its very much like Ridley Scott’s Alien film in that it presents the reality of the situation and shows nature at its most pure and horrifying, and especially when it something entirely unlike anything we’ve seen before. There are moments where I found myself disgusted by what I was seeing but fascinated at how it subtly made sense within a much broader picture of the world Prophet is set in.

The writing and artwork create a steady forward pace that never once alleviates the tension but also does not give you the satisfaction of bringing things to a head. So you’re left feeling anxiety and awe at what you’re seeing, much like the character John Prophet.

I’m pretty darned impressed by this issue. This is a Liefield character and he’s done a pretty bold thing in staying totally out of it; instead we get something really fresh and unique to the comics world. Like I said before, at the end of the issue, I knew I had to buy the next one. Not because I was ready to put myself through that again, but because I feel like I have to know.

The second issues of both of these series also blew me away! Both were fantastic!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

A major surprise for me, which really knocked me off my feet, was Avenging Spider-Man #5. This is probably the best team-up story in years--not just for Spidey but for everyone. Its an amazing done in one full of heart and humor.

Spidey and Captain America have been two mega stars of Marvel for 50 years but they really don't team up that often. After this story, I want them to every few months.

Zeb Wells is a writer that absolutely nails the subtly poignant / laugh out loud funny / superhero action combo and that shows here. And Leinil Yu continues to grow from one of the best artists in comics to something even more amazing.

Buy it. It's one issue and you'll feel good after.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The Massive by Brian Wood, art by Kristian Donaldson (Image) - Issues 1 & 2 out of 3

A great climate catastrophe (origin unknown) has hit Earth, setting off a domino effect of further climate problems, crashing economies and resource wars. Now people are starting to rebuild, but the chaos remains.

The Ninth Wave is an ocean activist group led by former mercenary Callum Israel. They and their two ships survived the catastrophe by being at sea, avoiding the tsunamis, and have remained at sea except for brief forays to what remains of ports for supplies. Now their larger ship, The Massive, has gone missing and a small crew aboard The Kapital is both searching for her and trying to stay alive themselves. Israel and his team are not without enemies... and there's no shortage of well-armed pirates.

There's a lot covered in these two issues. Post-apocalypse Earth, a mystery, pirates and thugs, questions of ideology in a crashed world, human relations, love and loyalty.

All the action takes place in the Eastern Pacific, between Indonesia and Kamchatka, with a visit to flooded (and adapting) Hong Kong. This setting is pretty unusual for a comic book.

The story alternates between present day and immediately after the collapse (the past coloured in sepia tones).

There are also some text pages at the end of each issue giving background information on Callum Israel, his team and his group.

There's a distinct lack of preachiness which tends to accompany stories about environmentalists.

I can't say this would be to everyone's liking, but it really is a well-crafted story - and so refreshing to see a post-apocalypse without zombies, where the survivors are rebuilding their societies.

In old nautical lore, waves come in cycles and the ninth wave is the largest one, then the cycle begins again. There's a famous Russian painting of shipwrecked sailors facing death as the ninth wave approaches. It isn't stated, but I expect Wood took the name for his environmental group from that picture.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm really enjoying the Massive. It's a well crafted series from start to finish each issue where no panel is wasted. The premise, with a post-Apocalyptic theme with a nautical mystery bent, is wonderfully unique right now.

I also like reading a "hard science fiction" series to balance out all the more grandiose ones I'm reading.

Highly recommended.

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie's recommendation led me to pick up the first two issues of The Hypernaturals, and I'm digging the format, with the 'ads' for the Hypernaturals recruitment, and the in-depth interviews with members of the team at the end of the book, to fill in some characterization and backstory beats.

Thinkwell and Shoal have really fascinating futuristic powers, that lean a little bit in the Authority direction (my powers are a fancy buzz word, and I just do whatever the hell the writer thinks would be cool in this scene), but, so far, better written.

My tastes quite often vary widely from Cobies (no offense, dude!), so I was uncertain what to expect, but it was pretty interesting. I am very much an art snob, so I wish the art was a hell of a lot better, but the writing and the story premise is interesting enough to keep me on for a few more issues.

The Massive, another recommendation from around here, was interesting, but a bit too slow for my tastes. There was a fair amount of info-dump at the beginning, and I feel that, as a reader, I wasn't given any reason to really give a crap about a missing ship, when it's sort of casually mentioned that there's entire continents gone missing. It's like, 'My house burned down yesterday. But I'm gonna write a book about how I also chipped a nail.'

Everything seems to revolve around the ocean, which is sensible, given the nautical nature of the book, with even the storms, etc. being described as being the result of changes in sea temperature, leading me to getting an 'Abyss' sort of vibe from it. Aquatic stuff intrigues me, particularly if it turns out some previously unknown presence in Earth's oceans is behind this (or perhaps even some sort of collective biospheric intelligence of the planet itself?), but this looks to be a slow, slow, slow burn.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Finally read Hawkeye #1.

Fucking brilliant. Damn. I mean: daaaaaaamn.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
yes! Its good right! Its just really good. #2 with Kate Bishop is even better ... it seems autobiographical.

and Kate Bishop hasn't been done to potential before #2 so its really exciting to experience.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yah, I finally read Hawkeye #1 myself the other day. Damn good down-to-earth Hawkeye story with no in-costume action other than the opening pages of Clint falling out of a building. The rest of the issue (other than a hilarious sequence showing the consequences of a normal-guy superhero falling out of a building) was literally Clint going up against his landlord and the fall-out of doing so.

Excellent, EXcellent issue by two of the guys who worked on the late, lamented Iron Fist series a few years ago: Matt Fraction and David Aja. Aja uses a new style for him reminiscent of Chris Samnee's that is just awesome to behold in its simplicity and its detail. And Fraction is just a revelation here as I was beginning to think he could only write utter crap anymore! This is FANtastic!

It's like the Green Arrow comic I've always wanted! [Smile] Seriously, I've always been fond of both DC's and Marvel's iconic archers. Both have had some memorable runs on various books, including Hawkeye himself on the excellent, cancelled-too-soon Hawkeye and Mockingbird series. Here, it's nice to see Clint down to earth and getting something unique and special done with him.

I sure hope this one has enough eyes on it and won't get cancelled!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
Normal guy superheroes have my love. I always imagine how I might react to falling out of a building...and it's usually not nearly as gracefully as comic characters seem to do it. I think I can get evicted with the best of them though! XD

I just finished re-reading my old copies of Shadow Lady (young girl who finds magical eyeshadow that turns her into a scantily clad thief) and for those who haven't read them, I highly suggest doing so. MAN WAS IT FUN. I mean, besides the skimpy outfits and stuff, the plot (as it were) was really perky up until the series got cancelled and the last storyline had to be condensed down into practically nothing. Years of disappointment at my own eyeshadows followed the original reading.

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Yah, I finally read Hawkeye #1 myself the other day. Damn good down-to-earth Hawkeye story with no in-costume action other than the opening pages of Clint falling out of a building. The rest of the issue (other than a hilarious sequence showing the consequences of a normal-guy superhero falling out of a building) was literally Clint going up against his landlord and the fall-out of doing so.

Excellent, EXcellent issue by two of the guys who worked on the late, lamented Iron Fist series a few years ago: Matt Fraction and David Aja. Aja uses a new style for him reminiscent of Chris Samnee's that is just awesome to behold in its simplicity and its detail. And Fraction is just a revelation here as I was beginning to think he could only write utter crap anymore! This is FANtastic!

Yay! I loved this book from issue 1 it jumped into my top five.

#2 keeps it up too.

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:

I sure hope this one has enough eyes on it and won't get cancelled!

I hope it at least make 4 to 8 issues to get a few story arcs in. I have never been a fan of Hawkeye, and now i think he is just great, and relate to him for the first time ever.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Hawkeye #3 continued to be the best book Marvel has right now while Daredevil is giving it a serious neck and neck run for its money ....
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So, hands down the best superhero comic by the Big 2 (and best comic all around by the non-Vertigo Big 2) is Daredevil. There is no debate here: NOTHING by DC even comes close, and perhaps only Hawkeye can compare from Marvel but its too early to be declaring that.

(And I mean that. Nothing by DC, not Batman or whatever, is close).

The major reason is the incredible creative team(s) which is Mark Waid, and lead artist Chris Samnee (with some fill in help). Those two creators are also producing anther phenomenal comic: The Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom. This one is also highly recommended.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^ having thought about it some more, I will say I think Wonder Woman may be in this category of 'best of the best'. The #0 issue was a highlight of the last few months and overall it's just fantastic.
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
anyone besides me reading Roman Dirge's "Lenore"

Its a dark humour comic about a cute little dead girl and her misadventures.

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.