Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies (Page 19)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  33  34  35   
Author Topic: The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
Michonne - If she were in a DCU book I'm sure I'd like her (in fact, now that I think about it - she reminds me a bit of the Green Arrow/Batman supporting character Onyx, whom I love) but in this one she seems to me totally at odds with Kirkman's naturalistic 'real-world people reacting as they really would to this totally unreal event'. Because into that he's thrown in this Quentin Tarantino-esque bad mama with a bitchin' samurai sword that she weilds like a pro. Has anyone here ever tried to learn how to use a sword? I have - it's not easy. Everything about her screams 'comic book character' to me whereas all the others (whether I like them or not) at least appear more 'real'.

That's a fair criticism of Michonne. She's definitely more "comic-booky" or Tarantino-esque than the other characters. However, the swordsmanship didn't come out of nowhere. Having just reread the first 48 issues, I can attest that she referred to herself having a background in fencing prior to the apocalypse. Would that automatically translate to her being the badass she is with the sword? Not necessarily, but it didn't come out of nowhere. You could argue that Andrea's sharp-shooter skills developed after the apocalypse are less plausible by comparison.

Though I can see your logic behind your dislike of Michonne (in this book at least), I still love her character despite it. I've always liked the idea that such a scenario would make some people suited to survive it whom you ordinarily wouldn't think could and vice versa. (Shane being one good example of the other side.)

I love that she stayed strong even after the horrible things the Governor did to her. It was also hinted at various times that she may have had a split personality. It seems more and more that that may have been dropped. Possibly, she gave another explanation to Rick when they met up after the prison and were discussing Rick's 'phone calls'. I'll have to reread that sometime soon.

I think Michonne also benefits somewhat to me in that she's black. There just still aren't enough compelling black characters (especially females) in comics, and Michonne is possibly the most compelling black female character in comics for me. (Honestly, I'm having trouble thinking of whom the secondmost could possible even be!) She's compelling, surprising, exciting, and I'm always eager to see what happens next with her. No matter what a character's racial or sexual traits, those are BIG reasons for me to follow comics featuring them!

I'd rather she'd never been raped and brutalized, but this isn't a comic that pulls many punches. That sort of thing would definitely happen in a world such as the one in this comic. Hell, it happens all the time in the real one, unfortunately. But Michonne never came off as a victim and has only been strengthened in her fans' eyes for all that she's been through and emerged from.

I honestly hope Michonne's here for the long haul. I mourned and continue to mourn the loss of Tyreese. To date he's the departed character I miss the most. Like Michonne (and, really, most of the rest), he was terribly flawed and did some really awful things, but I followed his arc avidly and still feel a void in the book since he was killed. But I'm slowly recovering from it as I warm up more and more to Abraham and how he kind of fills the Tyreese role but in a different way. Michonne, however---man, that would be rough!

Weird how the two most compelling characters in the series so far for me have been the two main black leads, huh? As I said, it has something to do with a lack of compelling, non-stereotypical black leads in comics but it's also a testament to the writing of one Mr. Kirkman.

quote:
that biker guy in the prison (Diesel?)
AXEL, man! AXEL!!! How could ya forget Axel?!?! One thing that came through loud and clear in my reread of all those issues was what an absolute HOOT Axel was...you follow me? [Big Grin] Kirkman gave Axel all the best lines constantly! He just had Axel say what most of us were thinking and he was an absolute scream! I don't think it hurt the tone of the book at all. Just a little levity to break the tension every once in a while. It's a void in the cast that has really gone unfilled since Axel's exit.

I can see, more than ever, why even as recently as 74's lettercol, a fan asked when Axel's identical twin brother would show up! I bet Kirkman regrets losing Axel and would do it differently if he had it all to do over, even if he'd never admit it. What a great, fun character that is sorely missed!

Anyhow, more thoughts as they come. More o' y'all need to chime in some more, hear?

[ August 08, 2010, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Chief Taylor ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
re: Axel, I often wonder what characters Kirkman regrets killing off too soon.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Carol's crazy continue awhile.

Maggie's family... her Dad and brother.

I'd like to have seen what kind of dynamic the twins would have had with Carl and Sopia.

And yeah, Tyrese and Axel.

Lori is one character I don't miss at all, though.

The 2 characters I feel the book would suffer really badly without currently are Rick and Michonne.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
^Carol...yeah, she was pretty messed up. Especially, how she met her end. In a way the relationship she wanted with Lori and Rick didn't seem as "out-there" a concept to me under the circumstances. I mean, society has fallen, so wouldn't it make sense under those circumstances to redefine the conventional nuclear family for the purposes of mutual comfort and survival? I'm not condoning it for our society, but for theirs (or its total lack of society), it could make sense.

I think we saw a good, complete arc for Hershel (Maggie's father), and seeing one more child die before he did served that arc. But it's still a shame for Billy (Maggie's brother) who was finally starting to emerge as more than a background character just before he died. He had a lot of potential, but I guess in some ways, he could've been just another Glen. I enjoyed Billy more than I thought I would the second time.

The stuff with the twins pretty much came out of nowhere with very little lead-up from Kirkman. I watched them carefully in their scenes those first 48 issues, and they were barely more than background characters. I remember Kirkman showed them looking at a dead animal a couple issues before things went south. That's all we ever got. Though I like the implications for Carl's arc, I think Kirkman never saw them as more than disposable characters.

Lori...I liked her more than I thought I would on the second read. Most of what she went through (and, yes, whined about) was perfectly reasonable. She was pregnant, vulnerable and was tired of her man skipping out every chance he could get and never knowing if he'd return. Her and poor little Judy exiting definitely served Rick's and Carl's progression in character, though.

Sophia...I hope we start to see more of her soon. I miss the bond that her and Carl used to have.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:

The stuff with the twins pretty much came out of nowhere with very little lead-up from Kirkman. I watched them carefully in their scenes those first 48 issues, and they were barely more than background characters. I remember Kirkman showed them looking at a dead animal a couple issues before things went south. That's all we ever got. Though I like the implications for Carl's arc, I think Kirkman never saw them as more than disposable characters.

This is one of the things that I thought should have taken more time and care from Kirkman. It's not a bad storyline, just one that I agree came out of nowhere, and ended just as fast. More time spent on wither end might have helped. Especially the build up to it.

It seems to me, that given this, they were there to more or less move Carl along on his trip towards wherever he is going. He is making adult decisions at an extremely young age, because he does want to be like his dad...which in the long run should probably scare Rick.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
To me, Carl is the pivotal character in the book. Will the human race survive after the zombie creating disaster? If so, what will it become? What will it look like? The lengths that the surviving adults go to to continue to live says much about their personal abilities and will to carry on. The character of their children will determine the future of the human race. Carl shows us that the future is anything but hopeful.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

I got #76 today. This series continues to zig zag in different directions. I never know what to expect. In light of the discussion in the previous few posts, Rick, Michonne, and Carl all have interesting developments.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Just read it. Click Here For A SpoilerI'm feeling sorry for Rick right now. It's rough when everyone turns on you.

Is he no longer capable of living normally?

And looks like trouble will be heading for the community very shortly...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Man. When you think Kirkman is gonna zig...he zags.

Another great issue that makes total sense.

Carl is really starting to scare me...just sayin.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I watched THE ROAD last night.

Anyone here seen it? I **HIGHLY** recommend it to fans of TWD.

Important: THERE ARE NO RISEN DEAD in the film.

ALthough there IS a disaster of some sort that wipes out ALmost everyone...

Just rent it, put the kids to bed and watch.

You will believe a grown man can cry...

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Awesome trailer for the series, which will premiere on Halloween!

Morgan's in it and he's played by the awesome Lennie James who played Robert Hawkins on "Jericho"!

[ August 24, 2010, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Chief Taylor ]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The trailer looks great!!

Lash, I was interested in the Road. Looks intense!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

The trailer makes you wonder if Rick and Morgan will ever meet up again in this version... [Eek!]

--------------------

Jerry
active

I'm so hooked on this show, already. And, it hasn't even started yet.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone who is thinking of watching The Road should absolutely, 100%, without a doubt NOT do so until they have read the book (by Cormac McCarthy).

The book is quite simply one of the best books of the 21st century so far and probably one of the best books I have ever read.

I've heard the movie is pretty good, but I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet as I know it just cannot compare to the amazing power of the book - which is mainly expressed through its words, and not the events, and thus will be lost in the film.

I think Walking Dead fans, especially, would enjoy the book too.

Though of course when I say "enjoy" I leave the term open to interpretation since it is one of the most gruelling things you will ever read in your life, and will have you on the edge of your seat throughout - but man, is it worth it.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

The trailer looks GREAT! I don't remember some scenes like Rick holing up in a tank from the book, but I hope we will all just ENJOY THE FREAKIN' RIDE and not pick apart any possible changes... that's what I'm going to do!

--------------------

This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.