Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The New Avengers (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The New Avengers
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
So, was this worth trashing the Avengers and Bendis' killing spree? Of course not - how could it? That said, this is shaping up to be an interesting story, but two things in particular took me out of the story a bit:
1 - I'm beginning to feel like Bendis is really creating his own pocket of the Marvel universe with storylines and relationships that cross from "Alias", "Daredevil" and "Secret War". It's almost getting to be like watching a Kevin Smith movie seeing all the same actors making a lot of the same old references and in jokes.
2 - most of the villains listed in "The Raft" were recently shown to be detained in "The Big House" over in She-Hulk. As a prison goes, the "Big House" makes a lot more sense even though that was played for laughs. It only makes The Raft seem like an ill-conceived notion and disaster waiting to happen. And what's Purple Man doing here? He's got a storyline going on over in "Thunderbolts". I hope there won't be any "Mysterio" type editorial oversights (and for those of you who didn't read "Alias", Purple Man once took control of Cage's current pregnant girfriend Jessica Jones, making her his slave for (I think) several months).

Bendis here as in "Secret War" does a good job on Spider-Man's nervous, wise-cracking banter. It's funny to think that he gets on Captain America's nerves since he's all business. I wonder if there'll be a scene where Spidey and Tony Stark compare scientific notes on something.

When I first saw Sentry, the first thought was "Thor!" - with the long blonde hair and beard it's not hard to make that mistake. Two seconds later, after rereading the comment on how he might be the most powerful superhuman on the planet, I thought "Superman?" Is Bendis trying to give Marvel a Superman type, but with a Marvel spin? Did anyone read the Sentry mini? Did he really kill his wife and what were the circumstances?

[ August 26, 2005, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3004 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:

1 - I'm beginning to feel like Bendis is really creating his own pocket of the Marvel universe with storylines and relationships that cross from "Alias", "Daredevil" and "Secret War". It's almost getting to be like watching a Kevin Smith movie seeing all the same actors making a lot of the same old references and in jokes.

I'm still wondering if Secret War isn't going to somehow play into New Avengers. You've got to notice the obvious similarities in cast. But I really hope Luke Cage gets his SW costume. It looks awesome. Same for Cap, actually.

quote:

When I first saw Sentry, the first thought was "Thor!" - with the long blonde hair and beard it's not hard to make that mistake. Two seconds later, after rereading the comment on how he might be the most powerful superhuman on the planet, I thought "Superman?" Is Bendis trying to give Marvel a Superman type, but with a Marvel spin? Did anyone read the Sentry mini? Did he really kill his wife and what were the circumstances?

As of the end of the Sentry mini (or TPB, which is why I read), his wife was alive. He and the world also had no memory of his existence. Something obviously happened between then and now but I'm not convinced Sentry killed anyone.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't there a few Sentry one-shots too? Like The Sentry and The X-Men? I seem to remember there being an FF and Spidey one-shot too.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, just downloaded the issue and read it. I hate to admit it but it does look kind of interesting and was a good read. I couldn't even finish the previous Avenger series as it was too much to take. I might pick this up if the story telling stays good.

I do hate, though, that they seem to already be dismissing the new She-Hulk series. How else could you explain the discrepencies with The Big House in her series and this Raft. I preferred The Big House.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
So, speculation on who was the main target of the jailbreak? Electro refers to him as "sir", but that's it.

And in the groupshot, who's that Wildfire lookin' dude?

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
OK, so I detested Disassembled and I had intended to take Avengers of my pull list simply because of it, only I forgot. o I went to get comics last night and there it was so I thought, 'ach, may as well'. And damn and blast but I actually quite liked it. Apart from Cap and Spiderman I really don't know anything about any of the other characters but hopefully that won't be a problem. Bendis did a couple of very brief recaps of who the characters are in the dialogue which was quite good (mentioning Luke Cage is invunerbale and such) and meant that i didn't feel like I was missing a huge amount. The dialogue did make me smile quite a bit and the plot has me interested if not quite hooked.

It does, however, very much feel like it's just a book with a large cast rather than 'The Avengers' specifically, if you see what I mean. Apart from Cap and Iron Man none of the team members seem right ot be on the Avengers to me. Working as a team, fine, but being the Avengers? Nah, it's not really there. That might change though (and I am loathing the inclusion of bloody Wolverine but you never know, it might work) so I'll give it a go. The art is... I dunno, I couldn't quite make up my mind. In places it's great and in other places it just seemed a little awkward. Not quite as 'real' as it's trying to be I guess. Not such a big thing that it put me off much, but enough to notice. Sort of like the way that Gary Frank's faces are all the same but the rest of his art balances out that little failing.

So I think I'm on board for at least the first arc and see how it goes. It might be good, it might not. On the other hand I also got the second issue of the Earth's Mighteiest Mortals mini (whatever it's called) which was just...mneh, and the last issue of Fantastic Four which was... well, fantastic. Sue dealing with Johnny's powers was brilliant, Johnny being Galctus's herald is even more brilliant and the plot and dialogue just had me hooked. Waid is really hitting it out of the park on FF so I'm hoping he can do the same with Legion.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunt Drouin
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt Drouin   Email Hunt Drouin         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't believe hardly anyone has posted on this yet. Did everyone follow through with their word and not buy it?

I wasn't going to but it was a "weak" week for me and wanted more to read. You're right, it's more of a bunch of super-people than the Avengers but I'm liking the story so far (resurrect Hawkeye already). Maybe it'll work out. I'm skeptical but intrigued to see where it's going to go.

The funny thing is that I'm not a real fan of ANY of the characters. However, since Luke Cage is in it, maybe we'll see Jessica Jones, the former Jewel, from Alias...I LOVE her

From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
It's not so much that I'm a fan of these characters as I am of Bendis's obvious love for them. For that reason alone I think he can do a good job on this book.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
Nope didn't buy it didn't even look at it!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I ain't getting it.

I'll save my money for HOUSE OF M or whatever it's called, so I can read about an AVENGER I care about... Wanda.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by huntdrouin:
Did everyone follow through with their word and not buy it?

<Raises hand high>

The only good thing about it? Whenever the Avengers suck, the Thunderbolts ride high! GO BOLTS! BOO BENDIS! [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I ain't getting it.

I'll save my money for HOUSE OF M or whatever it's called, so I can read about an AVENGER I care about... Wanda.

You do know that Bendis, who trashed Wanda, is writing House of M, right?

--------------------
Dan

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

That's fine as long as he doesn't somehow make Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, Wolverine and Spider-Man Magneto's cousins and nephews or whatever, and stick them in the book.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Magneto: Luke Cage, I am... your father!!

Luke: Sweet Christmas!

--------------------

ferroboy
Legionnaire!

It would almost be worth it to see it in print!

--------------------
Dan

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.