Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » What was so great about Preacher? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What was so great about Preacher?
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm astonished by the number of excellent opinions regarding Preacher, from a wide variety of comic readers. I got v.1 out of the library and was basically grossed out. Interesting concept, but I don't see what the fuss was about.

Preacher fans! Spread your gospel!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Wish I could count myself among them but I, too, don't get it. Both Caroline and myself really wanted to like the series and picked up the first two trades through our book club. Neither one of us bothered even finishing the first one.

Was it something that got better later in the series or am I just missing the boat altogether?

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I keep meaning to reply to this, and I will once I"m not posting on the fly from work [Big Grin]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I was a huge Preacher fan. Still am.

I can see if someone doesn't appreciate the gore/dark humor, but if you can get past that, it's phenomenal.

So... What can I say? Great stories, characters and art. To me, its so self-evidently classic that I it's hard to know where to begin... it's like trying to 'sell' LOTR or Star Wars.

I'm curious, Cramer, Scott... do you like any other Garth Ennis stories?

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I honestly can't recall following a Garth Ennis written series.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The name is certainly familiar, but I couldn't recall what else he had written, so I checked this bibliography:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Garth_Ennis.htm

Guess I just don't go for his kind of story - Judge Dredd, Hellblazer never caught my fancy. I was quite surprised to see him listed for a Fables novel (Animal Farm - with Willingham).; it seems to be quite a break from his other work.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I was quite surprised to see him listed for a Fables novel (Animal Farm - with Willingham).; it seems to be quite a break from his other work.

That's got to be wrong; I just looked through my ANIMAL FARM TPB, and there's no mention of Ennis in the credits. The cover pictured isn't even the cover for the paperback; it's teh original cover for FABLES #8. Chalk it up to an error by whoever created that site.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
I can see if someone doesn't appreciate the gore/dark humor, but if you can get past that, it's phenomenal.

I'd agree with that. Some of the issues and one-shots, like the one featuring the brothers, go a bit too far in the gross-out dept. and aren't worth the time.

I wouldn't say it's like selling an LOTR - to me, it's more like trying to explain the appeal of the Western. Or the better Sam Peckinpah films.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
I wouldn't say it's like selling an LOTR - to me, it's more like trying to explain the appeal of the Western. Or the better Sam Peckinpah films.

I guess my point wasn't so much ot compare works as to say that either you get it or you don't, and if you don't appreciate its genre in the first place, I don't know what to say.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up Preacher for a few issues, but then dropped it--I thought it definitely got worse as the series progressed--and haven't enjoyed Punisher or Ennis' minis. I was pretty fond of his Hellblazer work. But I loved Hitman.

I think the difference for me was the lack of self-assurance in the Hitman protagonists. I don't like almost any of Ennis' characters--I find them pretty repellent as people--but the guys in Hitman didn't like themselves very much, so they were sympathetic. And they dreamed about fulfilling Ennis' beloved Hard Manly Man archetype, while never actually having the courage/stupidity to actually go the distance.

In almost everything else I've read by Ennis, the protagonists seem to be 100% Hard Manly Men, perfect unflappable avatars of violence, yet apparently expected to be sympathetic by virtue of the truckload of moral commentary that comes with them. Or else they ought to be Hard Manly Men but are shamefully failing to conquer their inner sissy in various ways, and are justly punished for this. To me it feels like Ayn Rand channeling John Wayne, if that makes any sense, and it leaves me cold.

Obviously Preacher or Punisher fans will disagree, and I didn't jump on the thread to get you in a fighting mood--just to say that there are those of us who enjoy some Ennis but particularly dislike Preacher. My wife feels much the same way...she enjoyed Hitman but Preacher irritated her beyond measure. Maybe it's just because we're limp-wristed Berkeley bleeding-heart types. [Color Kid]

[ March 21, 2005, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: SiliconDream ]

From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I am really getting into Preacher.

The first trade struck me as way too gory. but I was curious what was going to happen next. This book dosn't seem like something I would like at all ... yet I just read trade number 2 and found it very funny. I laughed several times.

... and I'm interested in where the mystery is going with this one. trade number 2 had more action than trade number 1, and it seems like the book is finding it's legs.

Actually, it's no more gory than Walking Dead. Sometimes Walking Dead is a bit much for me too though.

I think number 3 will either be the trade where I finish it and say "that was good, I've had enough" or "I'm a fan and I'm going to read the all"

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Preacher is perhaps my favorite series of all time. Certainly a major contender.

It's hard for me to put into words why. I've reread the whole thing a ton of times.

Trade #3 is so good, Peebs that I bet you'll be hooked. I won't get into details so as not to spoil. But it has perhaps the best 'camraderie moment' ever in comics.

And then the series takes a major left turn out of nowhere and you realize it was about something else--something much more powerful--all along.

It has my favorite ending ever in comics.

It could make me laugh so hard one moment, then be totally disgusted the next...and then make me tear up like a little baby not soon after.

I got both brothers and my sister hooked on it years ago. We pass around the Preacher and Sandman trades continually, and have for years. (And now Scalped has joined that short list).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, and iirc, you just met Jodie and TC. Thats some f'ed up stuff! Few characters make me hate them more than Jodie.
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved Preacher, but it definitely felt like Ennis was sometimes just pushing boundaries to see how far the editors and readership would let him go. Those were by far the weakest moments of the series. Overall, it's a startling and amazing exploration of the loss and nature of faith. And yeah, one of the greatest endings ever.
From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved Preacher as well. What it always comes down to me is if you take away all the gross-outs, you're still left with some of the most memorable characters I've ever read in a comic book. Garth excels at making them very 3-dimesional, and Preacher remains his opus for that.

As for the ending....spoiler-free, I wasn't terribly satisfied with it. I think Ennis' other big work, Hitman, ended just perfectly. Preacher? Well, it felt like Garth might have not gone as far as he should have.

Nonetheless, Preacher remains Garth's quintessential opus.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.