Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The All Valiant Comics Thread

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The All Valiant Comics Thread
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
EDITORIAL NOTE: The original title of this thread was "Valiant: Eternal Warrior/ Archer & Armstrong" - Moderator Cobie

I have a few issues of each but don't remember much. And by a few issues maybe a total of four between both titles. [Smile]

I remember as a teenager thinking these were cool. I am into Highlaner, immortals, mythology, etc.

What exactly was the deal behind these three characters? Their origins? How did they all become immortal warriors? etc. I just reread an Eternal Warrior issue had and it was ok...not great...but interesting.

If any of you got info on these guys pls let me know!

thanks

[ October 04, 2012, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So as a big fan of Valiant Comics in the early 1990's, I've had high hopes for the relaunch of Valiant comics this summer. At first I was relunctant but the powerhouse roster of creators started to raise my interest. So, I've subsequently sampled all four.

My initial impression is that two of them, X-O Manowar and Harbinger are absoultely worth pursuing, while the other two Bloodshot and Archer and Armstrong. Every title is $3.99, which is steep enough to factor into consideration.

X-O Manowar is the best so far, delivering an exciting story that has run the gambit of a historical Roman / Barbarian era war story to a pure science-fiction story to a modern superhero type story. Aric of Dacia, the lead character, is compelling and interesting, and the “elevator pitch” dichotomy of barbarian meets most advanced technological weapon is interesting. X-O was never my favorite Valiant title 20 years ago, but so far it’s winning me over on story alone. The art by Patrick Zircher has been spectacular but he’s actually leaving the series to launch the new Shadowman series.

Harbinger is written by the fantastic Joshua Drysart (of Vertigo Unknown Soldier fame). It’s a bit of a slow burn, but the tight plotting and dialogue make up for that slowness. No character in the story thus far is someone I really like or empathize with, yet all are fascinating enough to keep me interested. It’s very much in the tradition of the X-Men or Heroes with a focus on psi-type powers, but it’s been done well so far.

- and the ones I’m dropping –

Bloodshot is the quintessential “ultimate soldier” story mixed with a serious amount of “false memories” backstory that feels like a lot of things I’ve read before already. Duane Swierczynski is a writer I want to like but a lot of his stories come off as going through the motions and sticking to the same old script rather than being all that innovating. There isn’t anything really wrong with the series but there isn’t enough bang for my buck.

Archer and Armstrong is the biggest disappointment because it was my absolute favorite Valiant series, has a great hook, and is written by one of my favorite up and comers Fred Van Lente. I was terribly disappointed then to find it full of cliché dialogue and characters, and a crude humor that felt more juvenile and sophomoric than witty or intelligent. By the second issue I was turned off enough to immediately cancel it without looking back.

So I’m going to follow two for a bit, with X-O definitely high on my read pile and Harbinger still having to prove itself over the next few months. While I love a good universe-building, I’m not too concerned with what I’ll miss as DC and Marvel have basically made me hate continuity and it’ll take a long, long time to reverse that.

I’m absolutely excited about the upcoming Shadowman series as its written by Justin Jordan, who delivered what apparently is the best series of 2011-2012, the Strange Talent of Luthor Strode (which I can’t wait to read). Patrick Zircher, who nailed it on X-O Manowar is coming over for the art. Shadowman was never my favorite and perhaps that is why I’m excited about this relaunch.

Anyone else checking these out?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.