Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Return of Captain Carrot! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Return of Captain Carrot!
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Scott Shaw posted the following message over in the Comic Book Resources forum -

quote:
Thanks to Geoff Johns, who has written the story and script for my eight pages, Captain Carrot is indeed returning to DC Comics! Rather than a backup story, these will be key moments in a much bigger story -- which parodies the "grim and gritty" approach to funnybooks that began in Alan Moore's WATCHMEN -- interwoven within the regular TEEN TITANS storyline, written by Geoff and drawn by Tony Daniel. I'm penciling and inking all eight pages myself, and it's a blast!

As the publication date of TEEN TITANS No.'s 30 and 31 approaches, you'll be seeing a lot more "official" publicity on the first "new" Captain Carrot story in twenty years!

(Oh, Jonah...!)

Aloha,

Scott!

Here's the link - http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?p=1949432#post1949432

I know that the good Captain has a few friends around this Board so I thought you'd like the heads-up!

Personally, I've only ever read one issue of Captain Carrot but its a series I'd really like to get into if I could ever track down the back-issues.

Thank God for Geoff Johns though! Has there ever been another writer like him in history who embraces as many different aspects of the DCU as he does and finds ways to reinvigorate and revitalise the outdated or 'uncool' concepts and give them a fresh spin for today's audience? He may not be perfect (I'll NEVER forgive him for his off-handed killing of Impala!) but we are very lucky to have him IMO.

Anyway, bring on the Zoo Crew!

[ September 25, 2005, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: Blacula ]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Woo hoo! This made my weekend!

I can't wait to see this. I hope they go back to the originals for coloring. I was never that much into continuity policing, but I remember being very upset when they miscolored Yankee Poodle's powers in "The Oz-Wonderland War" miniseries. [Smile]

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
u ever get embarassed when someone catches you humming some ridiculous song in public?
this is that moment

i think i had damn near every issue of Captain Carrot & His Amazing Zoo Crew

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
He may not be perfect (I'll NEVER forgive him for his off-handed killing of Impala!) but we are very lucky to have him IMO.

I'm sorry - Impala is dead??!! The guy from the Global Guardians???
When? Where? How?

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
OMG an infinite crisis tie in?

The universe we lost is coming back?

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S

Considering the relative success of Krypto on Cartoon Network, is this really that surprising?

Maybe Marvel will come out with a funny animal line too? The X-imals?

legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Am i hearing right? Krypto has his own cartoon? Can Streaky, Beppo or Comet the Super-Horse be far behind?
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calybos
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calybos   Email Calybos         Edit/Delete Post     
Impala was listed as one of the heroes killed at Roulette's combat-gaming emporium, when the JSA was taken there.
From: Norcross, GA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Re: Impala. Yes - Geoff Johns' idea of a fitting send-off for the only African super-hero in the DCU (that I can think of), and a cool character to boot, is a picture on a wall under the words "Fallen Champions". UGH! [Disgusting]

There were a whole bunch of other characters on the wall too, mainly old Hybrid and New Guardians members. I don't think there could possibly be a more disrespectful (or aggravating for the fans of a character) method of killing off a hero than to dispatch them in such a way.

When this story came out there was a large amount of criticism on the old DC Boards about a lot of the plot points within it (it is probably the weakest JSA story to date) but to my surprise and delight a lot of the criticism was directed toward this stupid 'Wall of Fallen Champions' and particularly at the fate of Impala! Geoff Johns even came into the forum (this was long before geoffjohns.com) and expressed his surprise that Impala had had so many more fans than he'd realised. He regretted including him on the Wall but nothing's ever been done to rectify it.

The only positive in all this is that since no body was ever shown, and in fact no death scene was ever shown either, there are about a million ways to bring him back - if any writer who wishes to do so even cares to reference this throw-away story element anyway.

I actually thought that Grant Morrison had done just that in his recent JLA Classified opening arc when he included a character that looked and acted exactly like Impala with the rest of his Global Guardians teammates. But then he went and had someone refer to him as Kid Impala! Huh? [Confused] As far as I'm concerned this is the original Impala who somehow managed to escape the clutches of Roulette. And since the Global Guardians is a concept just screaming out for an ongoing series I'm hoping he'll be included on the team when this eventually happens.

Phew! That's my soap-box speech for the day! Aren't you glad you asked now Andy? [Wink]

[ September 25, 2005, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Blacula ]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Marvel
Im Joeboy. I know stuff.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Marvel   Email Kid Marvel         Edit/Delete Post     
Just wondering, but did Centrix, Tundra, Chrysalis or Cascade ever appear ANYWHERE but that one panel in Justice League Quartlerly? and if not then why oh why did they deserve to take up space in the DCU Encyclopedia?

--------------------
Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.

From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

And yet Lilith didn't even get a mention! Good question Joe-Boy. I have no idea what the answer is but my own theory is that the producers of that Encyclopedia were all on crack at the time. That book is just riddled with errors! And a lot of the artistic choices for entries were extremely poor too. I wish I could take mine back and get a refund.
Kid Marvel
Im Joeboy. I know stuff.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Marvel   Email Kid Marvel         Edit/Delete Post     
yes well Im certain your's didnt cost AU $80 (which is like a hudred and twenty something US)
Damn you expensive Australia! Can you believe 4 comics and a copy of Wizard cost me $50 on Friday?!? (though Im pretty sure my C-book store guy was coming down form drugs at the time and fucked up the prices...but I digress)

--------------------
Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.

From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Color me tickled about the return of CAPTAIN CARROT. I still have my full run of that series in one of the "keepers" boxes.

And I echo the sentiments on Geoff Johns, hence my calling him "savior of the DCU*" in another thread somewhere here.

*Though I guess fans of the Hybrid and New Gaurdians might not agree. But Geoff isn't the only writer to make cannon-fodder out of the Global Guardians. If nothing else, I'll bet he learned a very valule lesson from that.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Probability Pete
Probably

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Probability Pete   Email Probability Pete         Edit/Delete Post     
I also have those comics. i just checked milehighcomics.com. they are having a sale u can get the run from between 4 and 6 dollars american.

each issue that is.

[ September 25, 2005, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Probability Pete ]

From: NJ | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Marvel
Im Joeboy. I know stuff.

I have a few of them...is it a possibility this series is only coming out because of the Wizard April Fools Day Prank? sooooo maybe the General Mills Massacre cant be far behind.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.