Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
It begins with Detective Comics #817. And I've waited far, far too long for it.

Somewhere across the internet, maybe he'll know: thank you James Robinson.

Batman is back, and it is good. The Commissioner back in place (yes!), Bullock back and kicking ass (yes!), crisp clean story-telling and a good opening part one to the story. Great art. Great dialogue between Batman and Gordon. This is the Batman comics I want. Above all, even in the quick scenes we see, Batman is likeable once more. He's dark, he's mysterious and he's by no means a sweetheart...but you can just feel that he's no longer a dick. He and Gordon have tremendous respect for one another and it shows.

And a great story looms with Harvey Dent, Poison Ivy, the mystery of the last year and how Bullock & Gordon came through...I can't wait.

Batman is back!

Casual readers of Batman that feel like grabbing a Batman story for the first time in a long time? I'm telling you, pick this up now!

[ January 16, 2010, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
This is a great start for the 1yr later Batman! I've already expressed in another thread my pleasure in seeing Gordon as the Commish again and you're right about Batman - he actually cracks a smile here. He's still serious, but not grim and angry - that year off must've done wonders for him.

I'm also really glad to see Harvey Dent. Two-Face is my fav Bat villain next to the Joker.

The most intriguing thing though are the hints Gordon drops about what happened the previous year:
"Three months since my return"
"Six months since Harvey Bullock made his discoveries."
"Nine since the rot within GCPD first shone as more than a glimmer."

It'll be interesting to track this in "52". I'm especially intrigued to know how the Question fits into that.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Hm...I didn't even think of that Drake! You're right, that makes it even more interesting.

Two-Face is also my fave Bat-villain (tied with Ra's al Ghul), so he's welcome here.

I know I see symbolism in places where it isn't always there, but I always saw KGBeast as the first in a series of stories/characters that highlight the grim and gritty Batman stories of the 1990's. He was really at the start of that (I also think these were very good stories too, although the trend deteriorated in later years). Interesting that he is killed off at the start of this new era, since he symbolically was part of the start of that era. In other words, it *is* a new era, and it feels good.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Very, very promising start to the storyline.

I'm hoping we'll start that less psycho Bats that has been rumored.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
so that Poison Ivy is alive? (no have not read the Batman but heard that she was killed off...)
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
Very, very promising start to the storyline.

I'm hoping we'll start that less psycho Bats that has been rumored.

Fans of psycho Bats can have their fill in the horrid Frank Miller ASBaRTBW.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Please Santa make Batman good again!

Looks like I'll start buying Batman again. At least until Grant Morrison moves in and puts the Batcave on Mars.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Looks like I'll start buying Batman again. At least until Grant Morrison moves in and puts the Batcave on Mars.

I'd still buy it. He'd make it work somehow.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This is Batman.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Agree. This the Batman we all have been sorely missing.
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I heard an interview with Rags Morales and he said when Paul Dini and he take over Detective, they'll be doing complete stories in one issue for the most part.

Morrison and Andy Kubert are on "Batman" haven't heard what GM plans. It might be nice if Batman had more multipart epics while "Detective" had shorter self-contained issues.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
According to this interview on Newsarama, JH Williams III (Promethea, Desolation Jones) will be illustrating Dini's stories now. Not sure what's up with Rags... I think there's a link to info somewhere in the responses there.

I'm seriously torn... JH is one of THE best artists around, and I'm happy for his mainstream exposure, but it sounds like he's off Desolation *and* hasn't started on 7 Soldiers #1 yet... still waiting on Morrison's script. [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

AND it's Batman. Feh.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

But Pov, its good well-written Batman! [Big Grin]
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Read the first three Robinson issues on the weekend - it is good Batman. I was happy to see Jason Bard, an old favourite, along with the classic Gordon. The only Batman I'd read for years was The Long Hallowe'en TPB, which struck me as really stretched and repetitive. So Bats is back on the list, for now. I agree with Tamper Lad that a mix of multi-part and one issue stories would be best.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just read the latest issues. Awesome! I don't know hoe Dini will play catch up to this.
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.